The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 95

User Info Menu

Woo is a highly profitable marketing incentive. Works for every product.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just pulled out my Fender Bassman FBM-1 to see if it still has that mojo I used to relish. I would play the Blues jams with my lovely little Princeton Reverb and that pedal. I wanted the Tweed tone, and to make the PR sound a little more bully-ish. It did the job. A friend had the Boss Deluxe Reverb pedal. To me, they were the greatest pedals, what a beautiful sound each one had in my PR. The PR on its own is a very handsome machine. It was always loud too!

The FBM1 today did not disappoint in my PR II, warm and fat tone with a big bottom, and some tube-like distortion.

User Info Menu

Way back when dinosaurs ruled the earth, modern contrivances such as master volumes, gain stage controls, effects loops and so forth were all merely twinkles in the eyes of amp designers. The Joyo American Sound (and all sorts of other fun pedals that preceded / followed it) proved to be very useful in expanding some sonic horizons without the need for ear-splitting volume. As shown below, a picture is indeed worth a thousand words. Getting a 1974 Ampeg VT-22 to snarl on its own is a glorious exercise in extreme volume, not appreciated by the neighbourhood.

In an entirely different mode, I'm inspired to test this venerable and dirt-cheap device as a preamp with one of my powered speaker cabs - more on that later. The fun continues! Daily beatings are suspended until after the weekend, woohoo!
    Attached Images Attached Images Joyo JF-14 American Sound-ampeg-joyo_e8494-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 04-05-2024 at 04:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Is that an Evidence cable on the Input side??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mack
    Is that an Evidence cable on the Input side??
    Good eye. It's an Evidence Forte cable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    So... $100 cable into a $30 pedal. Not sure why that seems an ironic view of the globalized economy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I have one too. Can you testify that they are the best? I have to say: my E. cable just gives more tone, because it filters out the least. I've compered a few, and I always come back to the Evidence.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    So... $100 cable into a $30 pedal. Not sure why that seems an ironic view of the globalized economy.
    It's a crazy, mixed up world.

I got Forte, Lyric HG, and Reveal cables for some work I did for Tony. I gig with the Forte and the Reveal. The Lyric HG is too stiff for gigs. Yes, they are very expensive and very good. I have all sorts of other cables as well, and they all work just fine. When I play a purple guitar through a purple amp, I use a purple cable. Other than that, I don't pay much attention to cables.
    Attached Images Attached Images Joyo JF-14 American Sound-gib-sg-purple-jpeg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 04-11-2024 at 03:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    ...In an entirely different mode, I'm inspired to test this venerable and dirt-cheap device as a preamp with one of my powered speaker cabs - more on that later. ...
    This little pine speaker cab is loaded with an old 8 ohm Altec 417B, and has a Hotone Loudster power amp hidden on its floor. 75 watts into 4 ohms, maybe 40-45 watts into 8 ohms.
    The Joyo is great, not quite as nice as my tube preamp, but quite good. The real surprise is that, when bypassed (unlike my tube preamp, which cannot be bypassed), the clean sound of the guitar directly into the power amp and into that speaker/cab sounds ... nice! No preamp. Who knew!
    Attached Images Attached Images Joyo JF-14 American Sound-joyo-americansound_8632-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 04-11-2024 at 11:07 PM.

User Info Menu

A key thing is that the Joyo American is an analog model of a preamp. Not a complete amp with preamp, amp, and speaker. Kind of makes it a more flexible tool. I like the way it sounds in front of some acoustic guitars going into very sterile amplification systems.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    This little pine speaker cab is loaded with an old 8 ohm Altec 417B, and has a Hotone Loudster power amp hidden on its floor. 75 watts into 4 ohms, maybe 40-45 watts into 8 ohms. The Joyo is great, not quite as nice as my tube preamp, but quite good. The real surprise is that, when bypassed (unlike my tube preamp, which cannot be bypassed), the clean sound of the guitar directly into the power amp and into that speaker/cab sounds ... nice! No preamp. Who knew!
    So it's guitar > power amp > speaker?

How is it that the guitar can drive a power amp? Typically, some preamplification is required to get more than minimal volume out of a power amp (power amp want line level signals whereas guitar puts out a much lower level signal -- meaning the power amp needs more volts than the guitar puts out). What is making this work in your situation?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar View Post
    So it's guitar > power amp > speaker?

How is it that the guitar can drive a power amp? Typically, some preamplification is required to get more than minimal volume out of a power amp (power amp want line level signals whereas guitar puts out a much lower level signal -- meaning the power amp needs more volts than the guitar puts out). What is making this work in your situation?
    A guitar signal is hotter than a microphone but less than consumer line level (-10dbv). Most of my powered speakers are OK with a guitar line level even if they would rather have consumer line level (like the output of a CD player) or pro line level (+4dbv) like a mixer would provide.

User Info Menu

A wireless system will provide plenty of signal to drive a power amp. I used to go directly to the power amp section of my AI Clarus by plugging into the FX return jack. It wouldn't work with a straight cable, but it's fine with any of the wireless systems I've tried. Sounds pretty good to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    A wireless system will provide plenty of signal to drive a power amp. I used to go directly to the power amp section of my AI Clarus by plugging into the FX return jack. It wouldn't work with a straight cable, but it's fine with any of the wireless systems I've tried. Sounds pretty good to me.
    Does a wireless system boost the guitar signal like a preamp?
    I have a Line 6 G10S. Thanks

User Info Menu

It does. I have a Line6 G10, an Xvive, and an Ammoon wireless, and they all boost about the same. I got a lot of interference with the Xvive because I have a router in the same room where I practice, and I bought the Ammoon 5GHz to try to avoid that, but they both have the connection affected. The G10 is rock-solid. It works as a preamp, as well as a DI box with both 1/4" and XLR outputs. It's more bulky for transporting, but it's a very reliable wireless DI system. The Xvive and Ammoon systems are fine if there is no strong transmitter of 2.4GHz or 5GHz signals nearby.

User Info Menu

It does. I have a Line6 G10, an Xvive, and an Ammoon wireless, and they all boost about the same. I got a lot of interference with the Xvive because I have a router in the same room where I practice, and I bought the Ammoon 5GHz to try to avoid that, but they both have the connection affected. The G10 is rock-solid. It works as a preamp, as well as a DI box with both 1/4" and XLR outputs. It's more bulky for transporting, but it's a very reliable wireless DI system. The Xvive and Ammoon systems are fine if there is no strong transmitter of 2.4GHz or 5GHz signals nearby.
    Thanks. No wonder my band mates have been cringing since I've been using the wireless!
    In view of the fact that both quality cables and wireless have been mentioned in this thread I'd just like to add that with my wireless system I can choose a virtual cable setting. I find the 30metre setting the best for me. I wonder if it's high quality low capacitance cable or a budget test cable!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy;[URL="tel:1330063"
    1330063[/URL]]Thanks. No wonder my band mates have been cringing since I've been using the wireless!
    In view of the fact that both quality cables and wireless have been mentioned in this thread I'd just like to add that with my wireless system I can choose a virtual cable setting. I find the 30metre setting the best for me. I wonder if it's high quality low capacitance cable or a budget test cable!!!
    30 meters !!
    that’s a hell of a cable ….

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    30 meters !!
    that’s a hell of a cable ….
    Sorry, now you mention it, it does sound a lot.
    It's 30 feet actually!! Cheers
    ps. That's still pretty long though!

User Info Menu

That's a LOT of treble loss via capacitance, if that's what it actually does. I have the original G10 Relay, and it has no choice for cable simulation, you get what you get. It originally had none, but a mandatory update some time back introduced some. I would prefer no loss, and to use the amp and/or guitar tone control, but it seems impossible. It's not bad, though. I think it's supposed to emulate a 10' cable.

User Info Menu

Perhaps someone can explain what's wrong with this calculation.

Reportedly average cable has about 100 picofarads of capacitance per meter.

So, a 10 foot cable has somewhere around 300 pf. High quality cable has half that. Low quality has about double. Rough figures.

A capacitor in a guitar's tone control might be .02 microfarad or more. That's about 20,000pf.

So, if you roll the tone control all the way off, are you, in fact, adding something like 20,000pf to the circuit. And, is that number additive with the cable's capacitance?

What am I missing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy;[URL="tel:1330156"
    1330156[/URL]]Sorry, now you mention it, it does sound a lot.
    It's 30 feet actually!! Cheers
    ps. That's still pretty long though!
    ok cool
    I often use a 30’ cable for plugging
    into a PA at a rehearsal space….
    I made it up using Canford guitar cable 140pF per meter ….
    It’s good stuff , and I haven’t noticed much , if any , treble loss ….

User Info Menu

To calculate the total capacitance of two capacitors connected in series, the formula is

The capacitance is not additive. And once you introduce resistance into the circuit via the pot, things become even more complicated.

User Info Menu

To calculate the total capacitance of two capacitors connected in series, the formula is

The capacitance is not additive. And once you introduce resistance into the circuit via the pot, things become even more complicated.
    I think the tone cap and the cable's capacitance are in parallel tho
    I could be wrong ....

User Info Menu

Joyo JF-14 American Sound-img_1838-jpeg

User Info Menu

Yes, but if there are only two capacitors, the formula can be simplified to what I posted. That might be an over-simplification, depending on what else is going on.