The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Hello,
    For those of you who have watched the 60's show, Hogen's Heroes, there is an episode:
    Praise the Fuehrer and Pass the Ammunition. In this mid 60's episode Hogen's men throw a B-day party
    for Colonel Klink. They are on stage singing, dancing, magician stuff and also a young guitarist
    playing a Barker archtop. At first I thought it was an Albanus, but definitely a
    Barker.

Does anyone know who this guitarist is? Playing the anachronistic guitar? But I'm more interested who the
    professional guitarist is? I've looked, searched, compared pictures, read bio's, Jack Cecchini? Who is it?
    Thank you,
    D

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

No that is my Dads Barker guitar number 8. Sitting here right beside me if fact was just playing it.

Barker archtop guitar-8d4da910-4b46-4f2e-bd41-ad5f75124072-jpgBarker archtop guitar-50967d6e-ac5a-44e4-b9c5-a74ae08a9c5e-jpg

Nice to hear from you Mark. thank you.
    Please excuse my naivety, Is your Barker the one on Hogen's Heroes? I've never played a Barker being I'm from NYC. Your guitar is nice; I like those gold Grovers without the stair steps which I think looks very cool. Next to me and was on my lap tonight is my 77 D'Aquisto with the Grover Stair steps. I've watched that episode for the umpteenth time just to look at the Barker, I thought was an Albanus (Which I've never had the pleasure to play, also). But it's time to put the D'Aq away since I'm in EST and it's getting a bit late.
    Got to work tomorrow.

My dad used to play guitar with Willie N. before Willie was a big shot. Is that your father on H. Heroes, tonight?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dane
    Nice to hear from you Mark. thank you.
    Please excuse my naivety, Is your Barker the one on Hogen's Heroes? I've never played a Barker being I'm from NYC. Your guitar is nice; I like those gold Grovers without the stair steps which I think looks very cool. Next to me and was on my lap tonight is my 77 D'Aquisto with the Grover Stair steps. I've watched that episode for the umpteenth time just to look at the Barker, I thought was an Albanus (Which I've never had the pleasure to play, also). But it's time to put the D'Aq away since I'm in EST and it's getting a bit late.
    Got to work tomorrow.

My dad used to play guitar with Willie N. before Willie was a big shot. Is that your father on H. Heroes, tonight?
    That is the Barker used on the show. The very early Barker guitars were much like the Albanus guitars as Bill Barker learn from Carl Albanus Johnson how to make guitars. After that he redesigned the guitar shape and tailpiece. He then went to pearl inlay In headstock. I knew Barker and was around his shop from about 1978-1988. He taught me a few things on guitars. I will post a picture of the differences in Barker guitars, i have in past you might search threads.

User Info Menu

On the tv episode it looked cool but I wanted to know more; I wasn't sure who made it?
    Your picture of the Barker is the first time I've really seen this guitar.
    The F-hole tail piece, maple back, fretboard inlays, De Armond, cool headstock, etc etc. (couldn't see any of that on the tube)
    You knew him too, that's very cool and he learned from Carl Johnson, but who taught him?
    Thanks.
    D

User Info Menu

Carl Albanus Johnson ( he used middle name for guitars) was a Swedish Violin maker by trade and I am unsure the connection on him but my guess is that his brother Swede Fred Rundquist may have been his influence to build guitars. Rather than post on Fred Rundquist just do a search of the forum to get more information.

Albanus guitars are killer sounding boxes because Carl carved the tops he understood the process in achieving sound. I do know that when Bill Barker started making guitars in the early 1060's he had corresponded with John D'angelico. Barker told me D'angelico helped him with getting suppliers for wood and building but maybe not necessarily on building the guitar per say.

A lot I could go into on this post but it is late and the old Deacon is tired if anyone wants more information I can post some stuff that is first hand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I do know that when Bill Barker started making guitars in the early 1060's he had corresponded with John D'angelico.
    Man, Bill Barker sure had been at his craft a long time...

User Info Menu

#8 is a great looking guitar. I can almost hear it from here. My kind of guitar. Deacon, you should consider yourself lucky to be the conservator of two Barkers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Man, Bill Barker sure had been at his craft a long time...

Jabs you see why now I make so many clams when I take a solo. I can type faster than I think and I can play faster than I think.

So maybe Barker started about 1962 making guitars and made them until 1989. He died in 1991.

User Info Menu

If I can just add that I find it somewhat ironic that a Barker guitar was on Hogan's hero's, as Bill himself once told me he disliked that show. "There was nothing funny about a German POW camp." was his line.

Bhanzo: You know, you're right! I have read that before but didn't make the connection that it was Mr. Barker who said it. That's strange, makes you wonder.....
    D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dane
    Bhanzo: You know, you're right! I have read that before but didn't make the connection that it was Mr. Barker who said it. That's strange, makes you wonder.....
    D
    I may have been the one who wrote that. I know on a thread here years ago about Bill I may have said that when talking about his WWII service. It's one of many things that have stuck with me about him over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    I may have been the one who wrote that. I know on a thread here years ago about Bill I may have said that when talking about his WWII service. It's one of many things that have stuck with me about him over the years.
    I have no doubt I did read your article. It's always nice to know someone is reading your articles.....!

Thank you deacon Mark...a lot!
    p

User Info Menu

"A lot I could go into on this post but it is late and the old Deacon is tired if anyone wants more information I can post some stuff that is first hand."

Hello Deacon,

I would be interested in any info you have on Bill Barker and Albanus.

Thank you

PS I love your Dad's guitar.