The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 79 of 79

User Info Menu

I had my 1978 GB10 Plek'd by Hugh Thomas at 13th Street guitars in Huntington Beach, CA.
    Magnificent. Can't imagine the guitar playing any better. Totally worth it.
    It is my only Plek experience but I think it all comes down to how well the machine is maintained, how good the programmer is and the post Plek setup.
    Hugh comes highly reccomended.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

To praise (or condemn) the PLEK is like praising nails hammered by a particular brand of hammer, or an amp powered through a particular type of AC cord.

You still need a non-idiot at the controls.

The PLEK can do ONE THING, and one thing only, better than a reasonably skilled luthier. That is to fix a VERY UNUSUAL and specific problem that results in a VERY different neck profile under string (and trussrod) tension vs. under no tension.

Under those VERY UNUSUAL conditions, the PLEK reigns supreme (with a non-moron at the controls).

Under most normal conditions, you are 99.999999% in the hands of the luthier in question, whether he uses a PLEK or a 40 year old mill file.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bezoeker
    To praise (or condemn) the PLEK is like praising nails hammered by a particular brand of hammer, or an amp powered through a particular type of AC cord.

You still need a non-idiot at the controls.

The PLEK can do ONE THING, and one thing only, better than a reasonably skilled luthier. That is to fix a VERY UNUSUAL and specific problem that results in a VERY different neck profile under string (and trussrod) tension vs. under no tension.

Under those VERY UNUSUAL conditions, the PLEK reigns supreme (with a non-moron at the controls).

Under most normal conditions, you are 99.999999% in the hands of the luthier in question, whether he uses a PLEK or a 40 year old mill file.
    Please explain this more I am completely lost in what you describe the plec does that reigns over the luthier? Certainly it can sight down a neck and make instant measurement that I assume are highly accurate. Again in this information and what do you do with it? Truss rod under tension means what? How much tension does the truss rod have on it with no strings? How much tension does the truss rod apply when turning it tighter or looser.

I am asking because I just dont understand how the plec wins in such limited cases. I like examples and specifics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Please explain this more I am completely lost in what you describe the plec does that reigns over the luthier? Certainly it can sight down a neck and make instant measurement that I assume are highly accurate. Again in this information and what do you do with it? Truss rod under tension means what? How much tension does the truss rod have on it with no strings? How much tension does the truss rod apply when turning it tighter or looser.

I am asking because I just dont understand how the plec wins in such limited cases. I like examples and specifics.
    Hi,

In general, string tension and truss rod action balance each other.

So the way you or I would, see a set of frets under string and truss rod tension is very very close to how you or I would see a set of frets layed bare and ready for dressing/leveling/crowning.

In such a case I am 100% convinced that you can level a set of frets easily within a range of accuracy needed for superb playing.

And in my view this is overwhelmingly the situation the majority of the time.

But...

Now and then a given neck will react to the combination of string tension and truss rod action that results in an artifact that is not seen with no strings on the guitar.

For example, the neck may twist slightly under the combined tension and truss action resulting in a relief difference on one side of the neck vs the other.

In another example, the neck can have a slight “S” bend under tension that is not there under no tension.

As I am sure you have done, an experienced luthier can note these differences and compensate when leveling the frets for what you have observed to be the actual condition under string tension.

But the PLEK can do this with absurd accuracy since it adjusts each fret individually with no regard for the relationship of one fret to the rest when the neck is under no tension.

Under most conditions this is all but inconsequential in my opinion, and even under some twist and S-bend conditions an experienced and ethically-working luthier can do a truly great job.

But there are some necks with unusual artifacts that benefit to an incredible extent from a system like the PLEK that measures the situation under tension, and then works each fret individually based on the measurements under tension - even if the neck under no tension looks far different.

This is not me purporting to be speaking the ultimate truth. I am just explaining my view in detail in response to your question.

EDIT: It also explains why one player/guitar may find the PLEK job done by a very skilled and caring operator to be a miraculous improvement, while for another player/guitar the results can be seemingly no better than a decent manual job.