The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Just bought a DV Mark Micro 50 here on the forum and was wondering what's a good speaker (probably 12") to go with it. I have a good open back cabinet with a 10" Eminence at the moment but could remove that baffle and go back to a 12" if needed. Maybe go back to a neo of some kind. Suggestions?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There are so many choices. A couple of things to consider when looking. Higher DB ratings mean a more efficient louder volume speaker. Also from experience Neo speakers sound best in a closed back cab,other wise bass frequencies seem weak to my ears.

I really like the Celestion Neo 12 300 model in a small 1x12" closed back Egnater Rebel cab I own. Member Jack Z. might still have one for sale used.

User Info Menu

Several TOOB ultra-light cab owners, myself included, have chosen one of the Micro 50 variants. The 12J cab weighs a mere 9 lbs loaded with a 12", 100W Jensen Tornado. It comes with a magnetic stand for easy transport, velcro-type trips for attaching the amp, a connecting cable and removable legs for playing in upright position - a feature recently praised by PCJazz on thisForum. He chose the telescopic TOOB 10T, which weighs about the same but is under 8" deep in transport position.

The attached YouTube video by Finnish jazz guitarist Petri Krzywacki shows three different TOOB-Amp combinations plus his commentary.

To put the record straight, I'm the developer of TOOB and responsible for each and every one of the some 150 units made so far and now in use in 13 countries, mainly by pro jazz guitarists and bassists. Several on the NY jazz scene alone.

User Info Menu

I like the old Jensen NEO 12-100 neodymium. I currently have one in my Session Blues Baby 22 and another in my Fender Blues Deluxe. I don experience any lack of bass response. I find this speaker to be even sounding, well defined and absolutely not too shrill (in spite of the 'crystal clear' description by Jensen). The 100w-rating makes that the speaker can take some abuse. I used the pair in my Twin Reverb at one point and in there they sounded immaculate as well (but I wanted to reduce the weight on my small combos, for the Twin I use a cart anyway).

So my choice would be a Jensen Neo, probably the Tornado Classic 100 (I think that's the successor of the NEO 12-100, specs look the same).

User Info Menu

I'm partial to the Celestion G12-65. Best sounding speaker in a Twinreverb, bare none, to my ears. Robben Ford's tech was the one that made the suggestion, as he uses'em in all rental Twins when playing in Europe, so I've tried for myself and bingo! That was it for me. It works just as well with modelers too!

HTH,

User Info Menu

you missed the one you sold me?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oriv
    you missed the one you sold me?
    Which was that?

User Info Menu

micro jazz 50!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oriv
    micro jazz 50!
    Oh, OK! Sorta missed it and lately have had a need for something I can get some grit out of for some tunes. Haven't been real happy with my Evans since I quit playing steel but it is a great amp. You know how it goes.....the constant search for the tone that's in your head. In my case it always comes from amps that I can't lift any more. Hope you're enjoying your amp.

User Info Menu

yea it's super nice, although I think I prefer my two other heads, at least for certain situations (ai, henriksen). But nonetheless it's a great amp.

User Info Menu

The Eminence Alpha 12A is very light. Not neo. Feels like almost half the weight of the Beta. I think it takes 150 watts. Not the most efficient, and not much in the highs. But sounds good.

User Info Menu

I have a Celestion G12K-100 in my RevSound 1x12 cab -- it's what David (RevSound) recommended, and it's a big, clear sound! [It does make the cab -- which is otherwise fairly lightweight -- quite a bit heavier, but it's not bad at all.]

User Info Menu

So many good choices even fro m m just Celestion. You need to just try a bunch until you find which works for you.