The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 58 of 58

User Info Menu

I get much less feedback with either my Raezer's Edge cabinets or Acoustic Image combos than I used to get with conventional amps. The closed backs and controlled dispersion contribute, and the notch/high-pass filter on the AI amps is a good backstop.

Danny W.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My experience is similar. With my RE/AI I don't get much feedback, but my Fender Vibrolux Reverb feeds back at the slightest opportunity. That, and the weight, keep it in the closet most of the time.

User Info Menu

For everyone here, with feedback...
    How close to the amp are you?
    Are you or the amp in a corner?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    I get much less feedback with either my Raezer's Edge cabinets or Acoustic Image combos than I used to get with conventional amps. The closed backs and controlled dispersion contribute, and the notch/high-pass filter on the AI amps is a good backstop.

Danny W.
    Ditto for my experience with my AI Corus Series III combo (20lbs, 300 w). In combination with my Gibson ES-175, feedback is a non-issue.

User Info Menu

I do not find feedback too much of an issue ('1948 L-7/DA Model 1000/Vibrolux Reverb). Even if I like playing with the bass knob a little higher. And low E string feedback I control it with attack and right hand muting. But some speakers do feedback in the (low-)mids and controlling feedack there I find harder. So speaker choice may be something to consider.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I have developed a feedback elimination spray. $35 a can. You use it by positioning the amp and the guitar so they don't interact, EQ it all to avoid resonant frequencies, and spray a bit of this into the F-hole and then plug the F-holes with foam. It will reduce 75% of your feedback! I call it "Snake Oil Feedback Reducer".
    I met a guy that tried it, he SWEARS by it.

After following the directions printed on the can...

"After initially spraying the amp, reduce the bass and volume controls and stand 25' from the newly prepared amp, turn till you have noted where the feedback stops, and your amp is now a fully prepared anti feedback machine.

I witnessed it first hand it did not feedback :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    My experience (using an arch top and tube amps) is that feedback comes from larger speaker paper surface area in too close proximity to the instrument. On a larger stage I can use two 12' of four 10" by setting the amp further away, but on a crowded stage even a single 12" a few feet away may feedback. However, the one 10" (Princeton) has worked on very small crowded stages before quite well, because in those cozy little places we play at a relatively soft level, anyway.
    My experience too. My Guild arch top can be trouble when using my H&K tube amp with a 12" speaker...especially in smaller venues. So, I instead use my Cube 20gx with a replacement 8 inch Jensen in it and my problems disappear. The sound is focused and surprisingly feedback free even as the volume gets up there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Also phase reversal is a useful thing to have. Not as much as with acoustic guitars obviously, but still, with solid wood archtops reversing the phase can sometimes make a big difference.

I've had good luck with the henriksen regarding feedback. The eq, the small size that makes it easy to best position the amp, the 10' speaker. Generally the less bass you like to use the easier things will be.

I would also agree on the following..
    I've got phase reversal on my early model Henriksen Alfresco. I think the feature was eventually phased out - pardon the pun - but I'm glad I have it because it's been useful given the 12" speaker and open back design. Seems to also adjust the tonality slightly but not in a bad way.