The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

These came from Caro Y Topete Last Thursday. Today I dropped into the shop and it had the sound holes, the top mounted pickup and the tuners. It's supposed to be finished "próximo miércoles".

Caro Y Topete Guitar-image1-jpegCaro Y Topete Guitar-image2-jpegCaro Y Topete Guitar-image3-jpeg
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 03-27-2019 at 08:07 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks very interesting, Jim. Excuse my ignorance, but who is/are Caro Y Topete?

User Info Menu

Beautiful! I'm looking forward to hearing it.

User Info Menu

"próximo miércoles"

gotta love that..no fooling around!!

looks like some nice wood too...

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 03-26-2019 at 01:22 AM. Reason: corr-

User Info Menu

They really wait until the guitar is finished to cut the soundholes? I've never heard of doing it that way, but whatever works...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    They really wait until the guitar is finished to cut the soundholes? I've never heard of doing it that way, but whatever works...
    well, it's got that big upper bout sound port..so the rest is just finesse

i'd imagine they know exactly what they are doing!

cheers

User Info Menu

Wow. Congrats Jim. It’s a stunning beauty.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Looks very interesting, Jim. Excuse my ignorance, but who is/are Caro Y Topete?
    They're very highly regard builders here in Guadalajara, mostly classicals but also gypsy jazz guitars and this one archtop. I posted a thread about them a couple weeks ago. Pretty much all of their designs are on the radical side with top edge,lower bout and side sound ports. Here's a link their website.

taller

And here's what this model looks like when it's complete. (All solid woods, Engelman top, cypress back and sides ebony board.) The verdict is still out on whether mine will have a pick guard.

Caro Y Topete Guitar-candtarchtop-jpg

User Info Menu

BTW, this is the real star of their show: their top of the line classical. Just an amazing sounding guitar.

Caro Y Topete Guitar-candtconcert-jpg

User Info Menu

Interesting stuff Jim. I look forward to hearing you play it.

I really like the photos of your unfinished instrument, especially the front view leaning againts the well. It looks like sculpture. Essence of guitar form. It's a shame it has to get messed up with strings and holes and such :)

User Info Menu

subscribed

User Info Menu

Just got back from dropping off my strings at the shop (about 110 degrees on the bus both directions). This is what mine looks like today. He figures it will be done either tomorrow or Wednesday. I played an nylon acoustic for a few minutes just for fun. It was a very cool guitar. If the archtop lives up to my hopes then maybe a nylon will be next.

Caro Y Topete Guitar-candtarchtop2-jpg

User Info Menu

Waiting for sound clips.

User Info Menu

Caro Y Topete Guitar-tandc-fulllength-1000-jpgCaro Y Topete Guitar-tandc-top-1000-jpgCaro Y Topete Guitar-tandc-port-1000-jpgCaro Y Topete Guitar-tandc-tailpiece-1000-jpgCaro Y Topete Guitar-tandc-bridge2-1000-jpg

User Info Menu

Looks great, Jim. Is it light (translation: lite!)? How does it sound and play?

User Info Menu

Simply gorgeous.

Best

User Info Menu

Congrats, Jim! Beautiful piece!

Marc

User Info Menu

Very impressive, though I'd rather have a vintage Soloway. Are you going to have it relic-ed?

User Info Menu

Lovely looking guitar. Extra points for the unbound fingerboard.

User Info Menu

Dang it, Jim. What’s the assessment?????

User Info Menu

Very nice! Looking forward to hearing some clips.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Looks great, Jim. Is it light (translation: lite!)? How does it sound and play?
    The translation here would be "ligero" . Very light. Probably under 5 lbs. Sound is lovely and very acoustic. It's especially nice at low volume with electric tone mixing with the acoustic sound coming from the side port. The scale length is 650 mm (about 25.6") so it plays a bit stiff. They've definitely never done a setup as light as mine and when you add that to the language gap, it ended up with some setup issues that I'm not keen on but we agreed that I'd bring it back in a week or so when it's had a chance to settle in before they tweak it closer to my personal taste. The fretwork is not quite up to the standards of the woodwork and that too will probably have to be addressed. On the other hand, the whole crew: Car, Topete and all of their many minions were an absolute joy to deal with.

User Info Menu

What a unique and attractive guitar!

Is the top
    a) Flat, curve is photo artifact
    b) Carved
    c) Steamed
    d) Dry-bent over curved braces
    e) Something else

User Info Menu

Really cool, unique design...can't wait to hear it.

User Info Menu

I don’t see the jack? In the tailpiece?