The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

+1 Big Mike. The Gibson Citation and the Unity 100th Anniversary models have exceptionally beautiful volutes.

Just send them all my way.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mikey, the back of the headstock on the 18” Unity is the most incredible piece of workmanship I’ve ever held in my hands. The laminate with the binding was so beautiful it was hard not to look at it while I was playing. To me, It was the mark of a guitar that was clearly a cut above.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Here’s a few more

Volute – your thoughts?-011ba495-528b-4f80-90b7-ab67a89fbe8f-jpgVolute – your thoughts?-e34a313f-cadf-413b-9ff9-52e8cbb14dcc-jpgVolute – your thoughts?-cba55f84-8ff7-49c1-8eb1-a2050dfd3272-jpgVolute – your thoughts?-9702b5a3-70dd-40a0-8882-cb5b4e25a1f2-jpg

User Info Menu

If a volute doesn't bother George Benson, it certainly doesn't bother me.

Seriously, as others have stated, it adds additional structural integrity exactly where needed.

I still recall receiving a brand new Gibson Les Paul Supreme (my very first Gibson!) back in '02 or '03 when they first came out. Man, I was SO excited! I couldn't work knowing it was waiting for me when I arrived home that evening.

After tearing off the labels, opening the official "Gibson" cardboard box, then I opened the beautiful black Gibson hardshell case and saw a gorgeous, shiny, new Les Paul with a SEVERED HEADSTOCK!!! It looked like a decapitated super model!

That would not have been the case had it had just a slightly better neck angle...and a volute.

User Info Menu

Not a fan per see, but it would not prevent me from owning a guitar that has one.
    It doesn't really affect my playing but I prefer my guitars without one.
    My father's old 74 LP Signature had a volute and so has my current Warmoth Franken Tele.

User Info Menu

I like volutes!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buduranus2
    I have the opportunity to buy a pretty good plywood jazz box at a reasonable price. The issue for me is that there's a volute, and I'm not sure whether that'll bother me or not. I'd like to know your experience with one, good bad or otherwise. Thanks!
    Unless I missed it, nobody yet has asked what kind of guitar it is(?)

User Info Menu

I 'd be curious to know how the whole anti-volute thing got started in the first place? It's illogical.

My Norlin '81 L5 CES has a volute. It's not a fancy one, so I don't even know it's there. Has no effect on my left hand or playing.
    I like knowing that it adds strength.

Of course, I don't play "cowboy" chords so I don't understand the problem. If I did play those chords and songs, I wouldn't have sprung for an L5.

Silly prejudice if you ask me.

User Info Menu

Volute – your thoughts?-template-1-jpg

Gotta love them volutes...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mack
    I 'd be curious to know how the whole anti-volute thing got started in the first place? It's illogical.
    Stuffy guitar cork-sniffers who think anything old is good and anything new is bad.

User Info Menu

I remember when they showed up. Everybody went, "huh?" I don't believe we as humans are predisposed to embrace change with glee.

When Norlin changed the area around the headstock it was received about as happily as when Fender went to the "paddlehead" on the Stratocaster...wtf?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I remember when they showed up. Everybody went, "huh?" I don't believe we as humans are predisposed to embrace change with glee.

When Norlin changed the area around the headstock it was received about as happily as when Fender went to the "paddlehead" on the Stratocaster...wtf?
    Or stereo, Low_z pups, the hockey stick and snake heads, or Fender's "bullet" truss rod adjuster, or, or... never mind, talk about irrational closed mindedness :-)

User Info Menu

Gnappi,

Yep. We just don't embrace change.

Me? I went all in. In the 70s I happily played a Les Paul Recording Model. Lo-Z pickups and all. (Still wish I had it.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Now THAT was bad!

How about the big "earlobe" pickguard on Eastmans. They got rid of that thing pretty quickly.

Volute – your thoughts?-eastman-pg-jpg

User Info Menu

I think a volute can be attractive, pronounced (stinger), or invisible. My ibbys have them I see nothing objectionable. I wonder if WesMo has them on his personal gits?

No cracks about the comforter, it was bought in my just divorced wild days :-) Nowadays I use the solid black side out.

Volute – your thoughts?-ibanez_volutes-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    I think a volute can be attractive, pronounced (stinger), or invisible. My ibbys have them I see nothing objectionable. I wonder if WesMo has them on his personal gits?

No cracks about the comforter, it was bought in my just divorced wild days :-) Nowadays I use the solid black side out.

Volute – your thoughts?-ibanez_volutes-jpg
    Wes was dead (1968) before Gibson started doing a volute ( late 1969)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Wes was dead (1968) before Gibson started doing a volute ( late 1969)
    Should have said, HAD and I read Gibby had them as early as 1968.

User Info Menu

I personally have never seen a volute on a 68 Gibson.

User Info Menu

If a volute bugs you, what does a headless guitar do?

User Info Menu

I was trying to remember if my 1973 Les Paul Recording has a volute or not - turns out it does! It's one of the guitars I play the most.

Goes to show how little attention I pay to it if I forgot it was there.
    I really don't notice it.

What I do notice is how great the neck feels, and how big and rich those low impedance pickups sound.