The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

What is your dream archtop? The best you ever laid your hands on and you could gladly live with forever in the range >5000 && <12 000 USD.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

1929 Gibson L-10. Skip the $15k premium on the sunburst for a dotneck Lloyd Loar.

User Info Menu

i don't f**k wit instruments under 12k

User Info Menu

One of my Unity’s or a pre war L5
    Ask me tomorrow it’d be an old ES175 or GB12
    on Sunday I’d be an old romantic period influenced nylon string

User Info Menu

Howard Paul once let me play the 7 string that Jimmy Bruno gave him. Heart-stopping sound and action!

User Info Menu

At the moment I'm fortunate enough to own my favorite ... or at least one of my favorites

My Super 400.
    Thanks to the magic of Guitar Center's no interest credit

I picked it up used so It fell within your price range.

And it will be paid off soon.

Yeah .. I know .. don't buy guitars on credit ...

but with Gibson's archtops on hold at the moment it is beginning to look like a better idea than I thought it was.

User Info Menu

An es350t I played in a shop in Denmark street years ago

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    Yeah .. I know .. don't buy guitars on credit ...
    How the hell else could someone ever buy one?!

User Info Menu

My Slaman DS350T. It sounds beautiful acoustically and plugged in, lots of great comments, and the looks - well, there aren't a lot of guitars I see with such stunning wood, and none that have a neck made FOR ME. I still get GAS attacks, but the remedy is to play it, and it goes away. I've never played an old D' or 20s/30s Gibson L5, but I'm happier than I thought possible with my guitar.

User Info Menu

Acoustic carved archtop ?

The best Archtop you ever played  between ,000 and ,000-7e88b14f-50bc-498c-97b0-09f40552eba3-jpg

Or laminate electric ?

The best Archtop you ever played  between ,000 and ,000-5f95c59e-6aba-40a9-9984-b8e9a9c4ba91-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    How the hell else could someone ever buy one?!

The guys who play PRS guitars are all dentists and lawyers ..

They can afford to pay cash for their PRS private stocks and Dragons

User Info Menu

I've never owned one that expensive but I have played a few in shops. A post-war non-cut super 400, which I actually liked a lot (although not $11K worth) and an L7C that I think was overpriced at $7K. Both played great and sounded wonderful acoustically.

The problem for me with any s400 is that I do 99% of my playing sitting down and I can only play a beast that size on a stool or a chair with no arms (I don't think s400s can be played on the sofa but someone here would likely prove that wrong). . .that and the price. I think it would be really great to find a 16" acoustic archtop that sounded like an s400 but it may defy the laws of physics.

User Info Menu

If you make me stick to this price range, it’s going to be this 1936 Gibson ES-150.

On the other hand, if we throw out the price requirement, I would pick this 1933 L-7. I’ve played acoustic archtops valued at ten times what this one is worth, but this L-7 blows them away.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ugarte
    I've never owned one that expensive but I have played a few in shops. A post-war non-cut super 400, which I actually liked a lot (although not $11K worth) and an L7C that I think was overpriced at $7K. Both played great and sounded wonderful acoustically.

The problem for me with any s400 is that I do 99% of my playing sitting down and I can only play a beast that size on a stool or a chair with no arms (I don't think s400s can be played on the sofa but someone here would likely prove that wrong). . .that and the price. I think it would be really great to find a 16" acoustic archtop that sounded like an s400 but it may defy the laws of physics.
    FWIW

I use a strap with my Super 400 and hold the guitar over my left knee like a classical ... works good for me

An 18inch guitar on the coach also works ... If you don't have a herd of crazy dogs jumping around like I usually do

User Info Menu

I played my teachers 9999 usd heritage golden eagle today. He had 13 non flat strings on it, and it was the easiest to play guitar I have ever tried. Easier to play than a electric guitar with 10s. Tempting, now that Gibson is going to non arch top hell.

On the other hand, I’m getting a 335 from the last ES335 batch made in the Memphis factory VERY soon. Top specced. 6000+ usd guitar. Still want an arch top though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

would have to be a trenier, got to play pasquale's one. It was beautiful. Neve had a guitar like that in my hands before.

User Info Menu

It’s a tie between my L5 CES and Benedetto Americana. If I had to pick one, I’d give a slight edge to the L5.

User Info Menu

So many choices available now compared to the past. For acoustic carved tops the 2 that wowed me were a Buscarino Artisan, and a D`Aquisto New York model. These both had that special magic in tone.
    That said, there are a lot of great less expensive options like Campellone, Elferink ,Comins (used). You really can't go wrong nowadays.

User Info Menu

We’re in Nashville for our 25th Anniversary and today I popped in at Gruhn Guitars. They have a ‘54 Gibson L5 priced at $9,500 that I was drooling over. The 25.5” scale Epiphones just don’t fit my hands as well as the 24.75” Gibsons. I would adjust the action a little lower to fit my preferences (and though it’s probably considered sacrilege by the purists because of what it will do to the value, I’d consider shaving down that hard V on the back of the neck) but it was absolutely the most beautiful sounding acoustic guitar I’ve ever played. It’s all a moot point though, because I couldn’t afford anything near that price.

Zac

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by znerken
    What is your dream archtop? The best you ever laid your hands on and you could gladly live with forever in the range >5000 && <12 000 USD.
    Gibson Citation is not usually within your cheapo price range.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zcostilla
    We’re in Nashville for our 25th Anniversary and today I popped in at Gruhn Guitars. They have a ‘54 Gibson L5 priced at $9,500 that I was drooling over. The 25.5” scale Epiphones just don’t fit my hands as well as the 24.75” Gibsons. I would adjust the action a little lower to fit my preferences (and though it’s probably considered sacrilege by the purists because of what it will do to the value, I’d consider shaving down that hard V on the back of the neck) but it was absolutely the most beautiful sounding acoustic guitar I’ve ever played. It’s all a moot point though, because I couldn’t afford anything near that price.

Zac
    I was really thrown by the idea of a 1954 L-5 with a 24.75 scale and a hard V neck. It’s actually this 1934 with a 1936 serial number, correct?

Gruhn Guitars

User Info Menu

Mike is correct about The Unity. Sublime guitars made by the guy who built Citations and Kalamazoo Awards at Gibson.

I could live comfortably with a Gibson L5CES or a Super 400CES.

User Info Menu

I’m sure if I really explored I would find others but my ‘70 L5 is all I’ll need in that price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I was really thrown by the idea of a 1954 L-5 with a 24.75 scale and a hard V neck. It’s actually this 1934 with a 1936 serial number, correct?

Gruhn Guitars
    Yes, my memory was off. Good catch!

Zac

User Info Menu

The only guitars I ever tried in that range were a 1955 goldtop les paul, 1960 es-175, an L5 CT, an L4 CES, and a jim triggs johnny smith-looking thing. The old gibsons didn't play well, but I loved the L4. The triggs was very nice too.

Yeah, I gotta go with L4 CES. That's a dream guitar for me. That's like 7-8 grand right?