The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 75 of 75

User Info Menu

Now that I think of it, I played a Les Paul very, very briefly once in high school, but never played one since. Maybe I ought to give it a whirl! I also never played a Gibson ES335 or ES300/350, and would really love to have one of those. Gosh I realize now also I've never played an ES125 or ES150... geeze... I have some playing to do.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey anyone here ever play one of these? It's a 1960's or so Ampeg Dan Armstrong guitar with a LUCITE body.

When I was in high school a local band called "Critical Mass" had a lead guitarist who played one of these. I worked in a local music store and we got one in stock and I used to play it every day. Loved that guitar, mainly because I venerated the local guitarist who played one.

What ubiquitous iconic guitar have you NEVER played?-dm1myqj6o2x4g6mfjd5v-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Hey anyone here ever play one of these? It's a 1960's or so Ampeg Dan Armstrong guitar with a LUCITE body.

When I was in high school a local band called "Critical Mass" had a lead guitarist who played one of these. I worked in a local music store and we got one in stock and I used to play it every day. Loved that guitar, mainly because I venerated the local guitarist who played one.

I played one of those back in the 70's. There is one for sale right now on my local Craigslist:

1969 AMPEG ARMSTRONG - musical instruments - by owner - sale

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I played one of those back in the 70's. There is one for sale right now on my local Craigslist:

1969 AMPEG ARMSTRONG - musical instruments - by owner - sale
    Those things are CRAZY expensive. Makes pricing on Gibsons look reasonable.

User Info Menu

I don't remember ever having played a 335 but I do have 2 very nice 'copies'.
    Attached Images Attached Images What ubiquitous iconic guitar have you NEVER played?-vester-cr-jpg What ubiquitous iconic guitar have you NEVER played?-vester-sb-jpg 

User Info Menu

I haven't played as many guitars as Greentone has, who did???? But, played a few L5's and had to bring one home, it is so nice.

But, that's the near end to my gassing. I never played a 50's Les Paul, would like to. But, a friend has a '59 345 with PAF's, and made of great wood. Man.....that guitar plays itself, and sweetly. I swear it could dance too if we let it.

User Info Menu

I could have a lot of fun with one of these and a looper pedal.
    I don't remember if I ever picked one up... Anyway, this guy enjoyed it, in a weird kinda way.

User Info Menu

I haven't played as many guitars as Greentone...

I was fortunate enough to have had a best friend/band mate who was a significant vintage guitar dealer. At any given time he had hundreds of vintage guitars, frequently leaving a few with me for evaluation. Alas, he died a year back.

Over a 25 year association playing with my friend I was able to play and evaluate an incredible number of vintage guitars, including both the Dan Armstrong guitar and bass.

User Info Menu

Gibson ES 150, the one Charlie Christian played. It would be interesting to play it with the correct amp and speaker.

Rickenbacker 12 string. I'd like to play the intro to Mr. Tambourine Man, just once.

Vox Teardrop. Play the lick from This Could Be The Last Time.

Gretsch Country Gentleman. Not a single Chet lick I'd even be willing to attempt, out of respect for the Master.

Gibson Reverse Firebird. I once heard the Little River Band. The lead player, whose name I don't know, sounded awesome with one.

Gibson Flying V. No way to imitate Albert King, though. Upside down, backwards and could bend incredibly.

Never played a Steinberger or Klein.

Only played one carved top hollow body. A NAMM Guild artist award, and it was too long ago for me to remember exactly.
    I just know I had concluded that I preferred the more ‘electric guitar’ tones of laminates, and solid body’s.

I’m itching to rectify one of these things sooner than later.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Gibson ES 150, the one Charlie Christian played. It would be interesting to play it with the correct amp and speaker.

Rickenbacker 12 string. I'd like to play the intro to Mr. Tambourine Man, just once.

Vox Teardrop. Play the lick from This Could Be The Last Time.

Gretsch Country Gentleman. Not a single Chet lick I'd even be willing to attempt, out of respect for the Master.

Gibson Reverse Firebird. I once heard the Little River Band. The lead player, whose name I don't know, sounded awesome with one.

Gibson Flying V. No way to imitate Albert King, though. Upside down, backwards and could bend incredibly.
    You and me both on Mr T. I'd love to try a Flying V but not Albert King. I want to play "Mississippi Queen" like Leslie West on a Flying V!

User Info Menu

D'Angelico, the real ones.

D'Aquisto.

Gibson S400 with florentine cutaway with two humbuckers. Must be an absolute killer.

Various iconic Gibson L5 from 1923 to 1937.

User Info Menu

Come to think of it, a lot of the guitars in the posts here (mine included) are hardly what you would call ubiquitous, some not even iconic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Come to think of it, a lot of the guitars in the posts here (mine included) are hardly what you would call ubiquitous, some not even iconic.
    Agreed but it is interesting to see what that means to people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Never played a J200.

User Info Menu

I don't recall ever trying one of these. However, Dan Armstrong's shop in the Village was across the street from the apartment building where I grew up. Packs of us little kids would wander in to ogle the guitars. It closed when I was maybe 8 or 9, and I didn't know what I was looking at, except that it was really cool. When I was getting into electric guitar as a teenager, I started seeing these in books and hanging on walls on 48th Street, and it was "oh, that's what that place was ...". Years later, I learned some of the history of how Armstrong's was the incubator for a whole bunch of other shops and guitar makers.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Yeah, the thread has morphed. I originally meant, what *common* guitar have you never played that everyone would assume EVERYONE has at least picked up and strummed a bit.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 04-03-2019 at 08:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Iconic guitar I've never played? I realize there are lots of kinds and varieties of Air Guitars, and maybe you don't include two pickup solid body Air Guitars in this question, but this is one I've never played. She plays it so well too. I don't know much about the guitar itself, I'm not really a gear head, but I wish I could play one of these. She makes it look so easy.
    David

User Info Menu

I don't think I have ever played a Jaguar. I have played a Jazzmaster, though. I think I have played all the other iconic guitars from Gibson and Fender. I have almost no experience with Paul Reed Smiths, however.

User Info Menu

I have at a now long defunct Daddy's Junky Music. It was heavy and seemed cool. I did not care for the neck so much if memory serves.

User Info Menu

"Ubiquitous" guitars are what- Strats, Teles and Les Pauls? They're also iconic. Lots of guitars are iconic but not ubiquitous- L5, ES-175, John D'Angelicos, Jimmy D'Aquistos, Benedettos, Johnny Smiths...

User Info Menu

Cunamara,

You are correct.

GT

User Info Menu

Despite Pat Martino because my favorite jazz guitarist, I've never played any Benedettos. Also, never played a Super 400.

I've played most other production guitars (as opposed to super high end luthier built stuff).

User Info Menu

As a lefty, ubiquitous means that black lefty Squier Strat in every GC.

And it seems every time they sell one, they replace it with another one that's exactly the same.

And they wonder why they can't find a lefty market...

User Info Menu

Never played a Gibson hollowbody, except for an ES150 once at Capsule in T.O. I've always been curious about an ES125 TDC, but it gets less and less likely since they keep going up in price.