The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 27 of 27
    joelf Guest
    I love mine---owned it since '08.

You're in for a dark, round, woody, near-acoustic tone; ease of LH play if you have small hands (I do) and a modest appearance. (If I wanted a flashy looking box I'd have bought a high-end Gretsch).

And
    it's cheap!

I have and want no other archtop (except a knockaround '50s SS Stewart, bought on impulse and now in the shop. I'll only play it at home or low-key gigs. Wouldn't want to be unfaithful to 'the Mrs.')...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tfling
    I have never played a Kingpin before/or ever even seen one in person, but in my search for a low cost 125-ish type guitar I stumbled across the Godin.
    It took 3 phone calls to different retailers, 2 failed coupon codes, and some price matching but I was able to grab a new Kingpin for less than the used drilled-into ones on my local Craigslist.

So Kingpin players, what are your preferred strings?
    I’m normally a Thomastik flats kind of guy but should I put something slightly more acoustic on this?

Thanks in advance
    Tip: If you want a cutaway, also 2 rather than 1 P-90 pickups, there's the Kingpin 5th Ave. CW II. You can get them for $915 new, from Godin or dealers---often with free delivery. Used, sometimes mint, can be had for as little as $649, also sometimes w/free delivery.

I'm thinking of buying one myself...