The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Hi. I'm getting old and don't have the bucks any more. I'm looking for a competent 335 style that will be good for blues and some jazz. I've owned real 335's, a Heritage, Yamaha, D'Angelico, and a Kingston (!)my first first semi hollow at age 13. Presently have a fairly unusual Hamer Newport with a maple top rather than the normal spruce. It's an extremely nice guitar but I prefer the full size 335 type body and it doesn't have quite the um, body that a 335 has. Gibsons and Heritage have gone through the roof, the Yamaha and D'Angelico didn't do much for me. Actually had one Washburn I liked, another I didn't.

Replacing the pickups wouldn't be the end of the world but am considered about how slim the neck may be (I like medium to slightly above) and how bright it is. Love upper complexity but not bright. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Best I had was a Heritage 555 which was amazing. I had hand surgery and could't play for a couple of years and sold everything. Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Out of the chute you can look at Gibson's ES-333 (stock pups may be a bit bright but many have been modded with 57's) a 335 studio (ditto 57's) Epi Sheraton, Ibanez AS-120, 102 or 153.

The Epi might be a good candidate for pup swaps, and Sheratons are so laughably (and unreasonably so) low priced they are well worth looking at. I have yet to want to change a pup on an Ibanez, but some do. Again prices on really nice AS models are VERY good right now.

Yeah, I'm close to pulling the trigger on the 153. The Sheraton is very nice, spectacular value, but close to my Hamer in tonality. The neck profile is my biggest concern. Just don't like skinny necks...

User Info Menu

Peerless Hardtail.

I've been around a while and I've never heard of them. Will check it out. Thanks

User Info Menu

Peerless makes very nice guitars at very reasonable prices. The Hard tail is currently on sale for $950 at Guitars-N-Jazz.

Interesting. I've read up a bit since the first post. Maybe a good candidate for a jazz box? Had a Heritage 575 years ago but can't afford that these days. I'm legally blind now and things have gotten... interesting :-)

User Info Menu

The Hard tail is an ES 335 clone. Semi-hollow center block design.

User Info Menu

I haven't seen Eastman mentioned. They have several semihollows; see Electric - Thinline - Eastman Guitars

User Info Menu