The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21
    joelf Guest
    I bought a GSS mini amp and a Toob speaker b/c I need something portable.

It cuts through OK in a band situation, but I don't dig the sound quality---kind of muddy and overly dark.

Is there a way other than an equalizer to get more presence and body from the sound---and a little more high end? (I don't have wheels, so I need something I can stick in a gig bag).

Thank you in advance...

Joel

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, there are many options for EQ pedals that would do the job, at varying price points. Some are parametric EQs (Empress, for example), some are graphic EQs (Boss, etc.). A clean boost pedal with tone controls might also do the trick. A SansAmp pedal would add even more tonal shaping options (such as the GT-2 or the ParaDriver DI). "Character" pedals like the ones that mimic classic amps could be helpful. With what you're describing you might want to cut the mids a bit to get towards the Fender amp sound.

User Info Menu

With speakers, you can only choose two of these three: small size, clean sound, lower frequencies. With a speaker that small the low frequencies are distorting even at low volume level... you can't clean up muddiness caused by intrinsic distortion.

User Info Menu

it is always going to be what it is. an eq (especially of the parametric variety) would probably be your best bet. you can also consider "colored" boosts as well, but that can go south quickly if your amp is solid state and out of headroom. ep booster is a classic, i think the em drive is nice, too, but there are many others. they also add grit, which you may or may not like. you might also consider a compressor, as well, if you want to pop a little more in a band mix.

something like my beloved platinum pro eq or the tech 21 q strip could solve a few of our problems with one box, but they aren't the smallest boxes. at least an ep booster or their compressor are mini pedals if it matters that much.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    With speakers, you can only choose two of these three: small size, clean sound, lower frequencies. With a speaker that small the low frequencies are distorting even at low volume level... you can't clean up muddiness caused by intrinsic distortion.
    It's a 12-inch speaker actually...

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Well, there are many options for EQ pedals that would do the job, at varying price points. Some are parametric EQs (Empress, for example), some are graphic EQs (Boss, etc.). A clean boost pedal with tone controls might also do the trick. A SansAmp pedal would add even more tonal shaping options (such as the GT-2 or the ParaDriver DI). "Character" pedals like the ones that mimic classic amps could be helpful. With what you're describing you might want to cut the mids a bit to get towards the Fender amp sound.
    Yeah---a Fender sound, or close to it---is what I'd love.

If only...

joelf Guest
    Thanks, guys...

User Info Menu

A 12" might be too much speaker. For the sound you're looking for, a 10", or even 8", might sound better. But I have no experience at all with either the GSS amp nor the Toob speaker. I've seen reports that the GSS has been used by several players, and have seen the Toob advertised here, but have never actually seen either, nor do I have any information from anyone using both together. Are you using both the GSS combo and the Toob as an external cabinet, or just the GSS amp without its little cabinet?

User Info Menu

Those joyo american pedals are cheap, and can make your amp louder and more fendery.

User Info Menu

The GSS Mini amp you have do you use a pre amp for it. if so check on different pre amps for a sound you want.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Are you using both the GSS combo and the Toob as an external cabinet, or just the GSS amp without its little cabinet?
    I'm using the GSS mini as an amp and the Toob 12-inch as the speaker. No cabinet...

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    Those joyo american pedals are cheap, and can make your amp louder and more fendery.
    Joyo american? What's a joyo american?...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Joyo american? What's a joyo american?...
    Joyo's rip on the Tech 21 "Blonde's" circuit.

Basically a Fender voiced preamp with bass, middle and treble controls. Great pedal, can make any amp sound pretty darn good.

User Info Menu

I've been interested in both the Toob and the GSS amp, but have had no opportunity to try either. I came close to buying the GSS Jazzcat, but couldn't justify it. Nor can I justify the Toob, with a RE Stealth 10ER that I rarely take out. So far I've been able to control the GAS by repeatedly saying "I have enough amps and cabinets, I really don't need another". Your experience helps with that, somewhat. Maybe not permanently, but so far, so good...

User Info Menu

For starters, get the speaker up off the floor. Use an amp stand, or put it on a chair, or prop something under it to tip it backward. Assuming it's an open-back cabinet, try placing it different distances from the wall to see what sounds best with your music at your usual volume. Just those two things can make a big difference.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Joyo's rip on the Tech 21 "Blonde's" circuit.

Basically a Fender voiced preamp with bass, middle and treble controls. Great pedal, can make any amp sound pretty darn good.
    Thanks! I'll look into it...

User Info Menu

This might sound boring but don’t buy any preamp before Your rig is adjusted better.

What speaker is in Your TOOB? You can change there any 12” speaker You like.

What about Your guitar, pickups and pots and and caps? Does it sound muddy thru another amp?

I have no experience with GSS amps but there is other light and small ones. Quilter 101R with TOOB (loaded with a Jensen Neo for example) will never sound muddy. Under 1kg.

But if there is no treble, no pedal can put it in Your sound. So start with Your guitar. Test it with another amp. Then test Your amp & cab with another guitar. Find out where the muddiness lies and repair it!

User Info Menu

I used a Champ with a 12 " closed back speaker long ago and it just sounded more like a Princeton or Deluxe ...it also sounded great at very low volumes into a Technics Stereo speaker with tweeter disconnected - again like a Princeton..

User Info Menu

Maybe a used Roland Cube 60 or 80x?
    EQing an already bad sounding amp never seems to work for me.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    This might sound boring but don’t buy any preamp before Your rig is adjusted better.

What speaker is in Your TOOB? You can change there any 12” speaker You like.

What about Your guitar, pickups and pots and and caps? Does it sound muddy thru another amp?

I have no experience with GSS amps but there is other light and small ones. Quilter 101R with TOOB (loaded with a Jensen Neo for example) will never sound muddy. Under 1kg.

But if there is no treble, no pedal can put it in Your sound. So start with Your guitar. Test it with another amp. Then test Your amp & cab with another guitar. Find out where the muddiness lies and repair it!
    I have a 12" Toob speaker.

I don't have a muddiness problem in other amps---and can get as much treble as I need. The tone w/the GSS is not up to my standards. I'd have bought something else if I had a chance to try it out in a gig situation...

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    Maybe a used Roland Cube 60 or 80x?
    EQing an already bad sounding amp never seems to work for me.
    Way too heavy sans car...