The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 118 of 118

User Info Menu

All better now. I completely removed it from the tailpiece and used the baking soda paste method, a very gentle cleanser for nickel. The only casualty was the high E string breaking when I put everything back together.

2014 Wes Montgomery Gibson L-5-fullsizeoutput_881-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Easy2grasp
    Yes it arrived about 5 PM yesterday. I checked the temperature in the box and decided it was safe to pull the case out to warm up. I cracked open the case and slipped a wired remote temperature sensor (from a reptile set up) into the case by the body. It read 61 degrees F so I let it warm up a few hours until it was close to room temperature. I opened the case and found a beautiful L-5. It looked even better than the pictures indicated. There are a few minor scratches or shirt button marks here and there but nothing that stands out. The badge on the tailpiece is very tarnished. Where it says "Wes" is starting to get pitted from the oxidation so I am going to clean that up right away so it doesn't get damaged any more. All the gold plating looks good except for mild to moderate pickup cover wear. Today I plugged it in and was blown away by the rich, warm tone. No wonder owners never get rid of these WesMo's!
    Attachment 60229 Attachment 60230
    Big Enos and Little EnosAttachment 60231
    Attachment 60232
    OMG, E2g, she's absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! Just beautiful!!!! Love the "Super" too!!!!

User Info Menu

you guys are killing me. I've drooled all over myself. Absolutely gorgeous one and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kaye
    you guys are killing me. I've drooled all over myself. Absolutely gorgeous one and all.

Thanks Michael!

You know what you have to do right?

User Info Menu

haha..... now I've spilled coffee on myself. this is a dangerous thread.

All better now. I completely removed it from the tailpiece and used the baking soda paste method, a very gentle cleanser for nickel. The only casualty was the high E string breaking when I put everything back together.

2014 Wes Montgomery Gibson L-5-fullsizeoutput_881-jpeg
    Looks pretty good E2g. Use some Virtuoso cleaner on it and then the polish, it’ll bring back some of the luster.

User Info Menu

I like both 12 ga and 13 ga flat wounds and am constantly switching between the two. I am going to take my WesMo to my luthier for a set up. Does anyone know what gauge strings Wes Montgomery used on his L-5?

Edit: Nevermind. I just ran across this..."His strings were, in the words of Russell Malone, "cables!" - 0.014 to 0.058."
    Last edited by Easy2grasp; 02-26-2019 at 12:05 AM.

User Info Menu

Beautiful. Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by blkjazz
    Beautiful. Congratulations!
    Since there are so many beauties in this thread, it doesn't matter I guess, but if that's for me, THANKS blkjazz!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues
    Since there are so many beauties in this thread, it doesn't matter I guess, but if that's for me, THANKS blkjazz!

It was indeed intended for you Midnight, but it certainly applies to the other guitars as well. I wish I'd bought an L5 years ago. I've convinced myself that I'm too old now. On the other hand, if the right deal comes around...

User Info Menu

Yes it arrived about 5 PM yesterday. I checked the temperature in the box and decided it was safe to pull the case out to warm up. I cracked open the case and slipped a wired remote temperature sensor (from a reptile set up) into the case by the body. It read 61 degrees F so I let it warm up a few hours until it was close to room temperature. I opened the case and found a beautiful L-5. It looked even better than the pictures indicated. There are a few minor scratches or shirt button marks here and there but nothing that stands out. The badge on the tailpiece is very tarnished. Where it says "Wes" is starting to get pitted from the oxidation so I am going to clean that up right away so it doesn't get damaged any more. All the gold plating looks good except for mild to moderate pickup cover wear. Today I plugged it in and was blown away by the rich, warm tone. No wonder owners never get rid of these WesMo's!

Big Enos and Little EnosAttachment 60231
    That Super 400 looks awesome

It was indeed intended for you Midnight, but it certainly applies to the other guitars as well. I wish I'd bought an L5 years ago. I've convinced myself that I'm too old now. On the other hand, if the right deal comes around...
    Thanks blkjazz!

You're never too old! I turned 60 last summer and decided to buy myself a belated birthday present when I saw this one. I just had to have it, so I guess I was looking for any excuse?

Thanks again and

User Info Menu

I've convinced myself that I'm too old now. On the other hand, if the right deal comes around...
    I'm about to turn 66 and I bought one. So keep lookin' for the deal that is out there for you, Blkjazz!

User Info Menu

I'm about to turn 66 and I bought one. So keep lookin' for the deal that is out there for you, Blkjazz!
    I hear you man but I turned 69 a few days ago. A little bit further down the road. lol Still, I'll certainly keep my eyes open for that deal. Congrats on your purchase!

User Info Menu

Isn’t that even more of a reason to get one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I took my new acquisition to my luthier for a set up yesterday. He is backed up on repairs so it will be gone for a month. (). But he liked it and is going to work on the neck some. What looked like a neck that needed a truss rod tweak to my eyes, to his trained eye is a neck that is a little high on one side around the 4th fret and a little low on the other side farther down and maybe a slight rise at the body. He thinks it needs a nut replacement, also. On this guitar the nut base extends beyond the binding so it will mar the original finish slightly to replace it. But I trust his judgement and he has done great work on the playability of my guitars. He knows I like medium action, etc.

So I pulled out another guitar to put on the stand, George Benson's '98 Mortoro (which spent way too much time in it's display case before my recent move and needed to be played), and got a new kind of pick to help deal with my right hand issue (I can't grip with my thumb right now). It is called a Sharktooth and is a flat pick incorporated into a velcro band. It is like a thumbpick but allows alternate picking. People who switch back and forth with flat picking and finger picking would like it instead of putting the flat pick in your mouth ala Joe Pass.

Does anyone know who was overseeing the production of the WesMo's in 1999? Were they being built in Bozeman then? Just curious and too lazy to research it I guess. Thanks, Ted
    2014 Wes Montgomery Gibson L-5-img_0912-jpg
    Last edited by Easy2grasp; 02-28-2019 at 06:51 PM.

I took my new acquisition to my luthier for a set up yesterday. He is backed up on repairs so it will be gone for a month. (). But he liked it and is going to work on the neck some. What looked like a neck that needed a truss rod tweak to my eyes, to his trained eye is a neck that is a little high on one side around the 4th fret and a little low on the other side farther down and maybe a slight rise at the body. He thinks it needs a nut replacement, also. On this guitar the nut base extends beyond the binding so it will mar the original finish slightly to replace it. But I trust his judgement and he has done great work on the playability of my guitars. He knows I like medium action, etc.

So I pulled out another guitar to put on the stand, George Benson's '98 Mortoro (which spent way too much time in it's display case before my recent move and needed to be played), and got a new kind of pick to help deal with my right hand issue (I can't grip with my thumb right now). It is called a Sharktooth and is a flat pick incorporated into a velcro band. It is like a thumbpick but allows alternate picking. People who switch back and forth with flat picking and finger picking would like it instead of putting the flat pick in your mouth ala Joe Pass.

Does anyone know who was overseeing the production of the WesMo's in 1999? Were they being built in Bozeman then? Just curious and too lazy to research it I guess. Thanks, Ted
    2014 Wes Montgomery Gibson L-5-img_0912-jpg
    Well, this is a bit of a coincidence I suppose? I actually just got mine back yesterday from a luthier I had taken her to over a week and a half ago. I just moved from N.Y. to Florida last year, so outside of a refret that's being done on my '72/'54 Limited Edition Les Paul, that I took to Historic Makeovers, which is over an hour away from me, I didn't know where else I could take her. It's already been 2 months for the refret, which if fine, Kim warned me that it would be a while, but it would have been even longer for me Wes if I had taken her to him.

I did some research and I found a local luthier that I took her too. He initially told me he was 2 weeks behind (he's remodeling his kitchen, as was Kim from HMO), but when I dropped her off, he told me he'd have it done in two days, which was a week ago Wednesday. So, I didn't hear from him and tried to contact him; his VM was outdated and he didn't return my calls. I dropped-by a week ago Thursday and he said that he hadn't had the chance to work on it, but he'd start on it on Friday. This past Tuesday comes and I tried to call; VM was still outdated and it was also full, so I couldn't leave a message. Tried for the next two days, texting too and still no response. Now I'm getting nervous!

Finally I told my wife yesterday that I was just going to go and pick-up my guitar. When I got there, he was working on an acoustic, we chatted for a little while and I told him that I wanted my guitar back and that I'd bring it to him when he had more time. He said "What do you mean, it's done." "What?" I said. He said it was done and had sent me a text earlier that day. Come to find out, he sent it to our landline, so I never got it.

As I had asked him to, he cleaned and polished the fretboard (I had him use my "Luthiers Choice" fretboard conditioner) and set-it-up. He had to adjust the truss rod, set the intonation, naturally and set the action on the low E to 0.073, high E to 0.061. $70.00, which I think is reasonable.

I've been a bit under the weather since yesterday, so I haven't played it, but maybe later today or tomorrow depending on how I feel and what else might be going on.

Question: This is the first time I use Thomastik strings, are the high E and B strings gold in color, or is it just my imagination?

User Info Menu

Yes the E and B are brass coated.