The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Practice most with your most expensive gear?

Voters
207. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course

163 78.74%
  • Not quite

11 5.31%
  • 50/50

33 15.94%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 88 of 88

User Info Menu

If you can't play your most expensive guitar at home, where else would it be safe enough to play it?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have had far more problems burning through the nitro finish on bodies (I do perspire voluminously) than frets. Since jazz players are not limited to the first position chords the fret wear is usually dispersed and takes so long to show that it's pretty irrelevant. A badge to be proud of, at the least.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by p1p
    Hi All,

Just wondering how many of you practice regularly with your most expensive gear? I tend to break it up at the moment so to not wear the frets so fast on my priceless, but am wondering if I should just go ahead anyway and face the re-fret at some point..

Do you tie up your dominant arm half the time and use your (left arm) as to not wear out your main arm???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzDaddyD
    I have had far more problems burning through the nitro finish on bodies (I do perspire voluminously) than frets. Since jazz players are not limited to the first position chords the fret wear is usually dispersed and takes so long to show that it's pretty irrelevant. A badge to be proud of, at the least.
    I cut the toe out of a cotton sock and use it as a arm sock. Works great. No Sweat!
    Warm in the winter too.

User Info Menu

gasp, i wouldn't hear of practicing with my good gear, that's what the beater is for.
    j/k play the one that is calling you at the moment!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF
    gasp, i wouldn't hear of practicing with my good gear, that's what the beater is for.
    j/k play the one that is calling you at the moment!
    what's the good gear for?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    For mounting on the wall of your dental office?

User Info Menu

My music room is actually right inside the front door, so these days I am playing my semis and my Emerald most of the time, and leaving the Campellone and VDA in their cases. If the temp goes above 55 or so I'll take out one of the big girls but I'm happy to play my Ibanezes and Tokai when I think the door might be opened and left open for a while. Now, if the kids would all move out already that would be different! LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    If you can't play your most expensive guitar at home, where else would it be safe enough to play it?
    This.

My nicer axes and amps never leave my home and I never touch them after throwing back a few. I've got "beater" gear for that. Then again, I don't gig.

User Info Menu

Funny question.

User Info Menu

You mean my squire tele?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Like I said earlier, practice with the gear you intend to play at the coming gig. Last week I played in one of the bigbands outside on a cold and very wet event. I saw that coming. The weather forecast was horrible. At the day itself it did not look all that bad. The first half was cold but no rain, the second set was pooring wet. Now tell me, who would prefer to take out your prized 10K USD L5 instead of a much more ruggidized archtop. I took a Gretsch 6136 DC out. No solid wood, but laminate. No nitro but poly. Same scale length. Nice balance. IMHO every reason not to take out the nicest gear in those condition threathening circumstances..

User Info Menu

Update: I hit 'of course' when this poll came out. Now I play a much more expensive archtop. And now there's 4 of them. I really should try to sell some...