The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Good evening everyone

I have a person offering a swap for my USA Fender Strat (with a bit of cash from me) for the Gibson ES175 as pictured. I will get more pics later when he sends more but he will bring the guitar with its certificate of authenticity, but just need some help! I know the picture is hard to see, but any ideas on this one??

Will get some more pics when I get them in the next hour or so...

Thanks in advance everyone!!
    Attached Images Attached Images GIbson ES-175 Authenticity help urgently needed!-es175gibson2-jpg GIbson ES-175 Authenticity help urgently needed!-es175gibson3-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That is funny. No, not authentic. The list of clear indications is too long to bother with.

User Info Menu

Not even close!

User Info Menu

With the internet, how can someone own that and not know...seems like you are a target.

User Info Menu

That has to be the worst c... I can't even call that a copy.

Additional pics not needed.

User Info Menu

As long as you get $1200 or more for your strat you'll be OK. It'd be a plus if you own a dreadnaught acoustic that's missing a case, because it looks like that one should fit.

User Info Menu

I think you should take the deal - provided of course that your Strat is actually a Squier Affinity that you put a Fender logo on.

User Info Menu

Looks like the case might be authentic...

User Info Menu

Case looks like it could be a some sort of Gibson case. But I don't think its even an ES 175 case. It doesn't appear like the guitar fits tight enough.

User Info Menu

bummer. I'd just sell the strat and spend some time shopping around for your 175

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    bummer. I'd just sell the strat and spend some time shopping around for your 175
    Good idea, but for sure the OP needs to know what a genuine 175 looks like before shopping because clearly at this point he/she does not.

User Info Menu

Take a look at some real ones!

Gibson ES175 - Google Search

User Info Menu

I don't know much, but I bet that you could drive a truck through those f-holes on your way to the switch.

User Info Menu

Uh, no, that is no Gibson. It is not even a good copy of any Gibson. A $399 Ibanez would be better than that POS. Even the Gibson case is fake...

Please don't let him come around to your place...

But I would like to see his "Certificate of Authenticity"...

Cops in Queensland interested in this kind of fraud? Get him arrested, mate.

User Info Menu

I get the feeling this is a joke.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for your input on this matter! Yes I suspected it was a fake, but thought I would check with people more knowledgeable than me! The person claims he paid $3500 for it but the pickups still have wrap on them and it stinks of being a Chinese copy. My Strat sounds far too good (yes it is real!!) to swap for that fake guitar (plus he wanted another $500 out of me)..

Thanks again everyone, I told the lovely gentleman a definite no and that his guitar is a fake!

User Info Menu

Fake as tits on a bull, mate...although that does not have the same resonance these days...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Fake as tits on a bull, mate...although that does not have the same resonance these days...
    But what if that guitar "self identifies" as a Gibson ES175?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    But what if that guitar "self identifies" as a Gibson ES175?
    The guitars I make refuse to be identified by the Fender/Gibson label.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro