The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 56 of 56

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by p1p
    My preference was #2 by far, followed by 3 then 1.

I like EL84s personally, so I wouldn't change a thing. Is that a Laney cub?
    Not it's not a laney. The brand is Monoprice, but the circuit is for the Laney 15 watt and some of the early monoprice models even had a Laney logo stenciled on their PCBs. I keep thinking I need to do a NAD and review of this amp. Costs about $200, 15 watts, spring reverb, effects loop, gain, volume, tone, 3 band EQ. Probably cheaply built, but for a person just starting to dabble with tube amps, it's a great entry-level amp.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lawson for power tubes I really like JJ’s. The Tube Depot is a great tube dealer. When you take the plunge on a good tube amp I will send you the best tubes for it in the world as a gift. Power tubes must be matched and your PI tube must be balanced.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Lawson for power tubes I really like JJ’s. The Tube Depot is a great tube dealer. When you take the plunge on a good tube amp I will send you the best tubes for it in the world as a gift. Power tubes must be matched and your PI tube must be balanced.
    Wow thanks so much, Vinny. I am really in a quandary... Much as I'd love the P2P wired vintage amp, I doubt I can afford it. I'm looking a little fondly at a Deluxe Reverb Reissue but don't know if those are the same kettle of fish with reliability as the Blues Deluxe amps.

I'm also pondering... 6V6 or 6L6? Does that matter?

PS: I got TAD 5751's to put in my cheap-o Monoprice 15 w and they really did what I wanted for that amp! I have the headroom I wanted and the tone is sweeter than what I had before. Thanks for the advice on that.

Meanwhile, saving my shekels and doing my homework on what "good" tube amp I'd go for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Not it's not a laney. The brand is Monoprice, but the circuit is for the Laney 15 watt and some of the early monoprice models even had a Laney logo stenciled on their PCBs. I keep thinking I need to do a NAD and review of this amp. Costs about $200, 15 watts, spring reverb, effects loop, gain, volume, tone, 3 band EQ. Probably cheaply built, but for a person just starting to dabble with tube amps, it's a great entry-level amp.
    I haven't heard of monoprice, but certainly sounds like a Laney cub, and from what you said here could be from the same Chinese factory?

Doesn't sound like that amp needs any changes, to my ears. Almost my ideal tone from an amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by p1p
    I haven't heard of monoprice, but certainly sounds like a Laney cub, and from what you said here could be from the same Chinese factory?

Doesn't sound like that amp needs any changes, to my ears. Almost my ideal tone from an amp.
    I don't know if it's the same factory, but one some of the other gear forums there have been long threads about the amp and all agree the two Monoprice offerings, a 5 watt and a 15 watt, use the Laney circuits and designs.

thanks for the word on the amp's sound. I have switched the tubes to 5751's in V1 and V2 and I'm liking the change. It's a little thicker, but still good clean headroom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Vinny-I just re-read your message and somehow I missed the "I will send you the best tubes..." part--man that is amazingly generous of you. I'm sorry I missed that somehow in my first reply. Thank you for your unfailing and extreme generosity! I am pondering some options, and have PM'd you with a question that I might post on the forum for general discussion.

Given the results that the TAD5751s had in my cheap-o 15 watt amp, I can only imagine what would happen with a great amp and the right tubes.