The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

2016 Memphis Figured es-175DN original bridge
    Noticed this today as I am changing strings. Tried to clean it off with the MusicNomad Guitar One I’ve had for years. A little came up. Took a picture. Need advice?
    Attached Images Attached Images Bridge foot stain on 175 Natural?-bf4aa799-dbc4-4c4a-8f1f-e5f6db56c448-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It will be there forever. Did you oil the bridge base ? Remember nitro is very porous. Once stained you will never get it out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    It will be there forever. Did you oil the bridge base ? Remember nitro is very porous. Once stained you will never get it out.

..or could the natural oils of the bridge wood be enough to leave a stain ?

Did not oil it. Never spilled anything. Don’t even remember cleaning it.

A piece of paper under the feet for awhile should show if it’s coming from the wood. The guitar is in a dry environment, Phoenix, and is usually out on a stand in easy reach.

My first “ding”. Makes it mine. At least it’s only visible at string time. About six months on this set of TIJS12.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    My first “ding”. Makes it mine. At least it’s only visible at string time. About six months on this set of TIJS12.
    A natural part of a Blonde guitar's aging/mojo. Embrace it.

User Info Menu

I'd just put it back on the screw holes. Maybe in 80 years, dirt and yellowing will even it out....
    Bridge foot stain on 175 Natural?-img_0933-jpg

User Info Menu

BTW the guitar I posted had accumulated dirt and yellowing such that after I cleaned it, I felt like I had just restored a historic painting back to its original beauty.

....or painted a moustache on the Mona Lisa, if you don't like the pickup...
    Bridge foot stain on 175 Natural?-finished-pickguard-jpg

User Info Menu

Well now it's yours, and you only see it when you change strings.

I have a guitar, one I prize highly, someone told me that it was unfortunate because it had a small impression in the lacquer where the pickguard mounted volume pot pressed into the finish a smidgeon. I thought to myself, shit if I COULD SEE that it wouldn't bother me anyway because the guitar plays so sweetly...

We're only custodians and lovers of this gear. Enjoy yours in good health.

Big

User Info Menu

It's not a stain, it's the original color while the rest of the top has faded. If you remove the finger rest, you'll see it is darker under there too. Completely natural and expected.

User Info Menu

Also, there's no need to remove all the strings at once when you change them. Just remove and replace them one at a time, this is especially true if the bridge is not pinned as yours is. With a (more common) floating bridge, you'd have to reset the intonation every string change. This holds true also for guitars with a stop tail piece, which is held in place by string tension.

I like to give the wood a good wipe down and light clean when I change strings.

pulled the pick guard, the finish there looks the same as elsewhere so not a fade. The guitar is less than a year and a half old. While looking close at the finish with guard off I notice a small ring of clear lacquer around the stand off for the rest near the neck. Hmm... bet they put the hardware on before the last coat finished drying.

User Info Menu

I'd guess the mark under the bridge is just compressed nitro. You're probably right, the hardware went on a little early. It takes a month or more before nitro is really dry. It's dry to the touch long before that, but not fully hardened. That takes time, and most factories won't wait that long. Ship it, Louie!