The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Fender '62 Princeton Chris Stapleton Edition 12-watt 1x12" Tube Combo Amp!

This looks like a very cool little (reissue/tweaked/modded) amp. It's pricey at $2,000USD, especially since Blackface Princeton (non-reverb) amps go for around $1,000 or less.

However, vintage Brownface Princetons go for between $2k to over $6k based on current Reverb ads.

Fender '62 Princeton Chris Stapleton Edition 12-watt 1x12" Tube Combo Amp | Sweetwater

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow. I bought my 63 Brownface Princeton a few years back for $1,000 and sold it for $1,500 a couple of years later. They are cool amps, but not that cool...

User Info Menu

Perfect! Except I don't use speed, or like high intensity! Except for coffee! I do like just volume and tone, and not a lot in between the guitar and the speaker, like the early gibson, ampeg and fender designs.

User Info Menu

Well, really, your signal doesn’t go through ANY of the additional tremolo circuitry, so there’s really not much more in this amp to pollute your signal than in a, say, tweed Deluxe. A little bit, because they changed the phase inverter, but nothing due to the trem.

I love brownface deluxes, although I don’t own one. The price is fair for a hand-wired US-made Fender-badged amp.

User Info Menu

+1

The price is fair for a hand-wired US-made Fender-badged amp.

It is amazing how many product Leo Fender got right the 1st time. I had an amp like this as well. When I sold it, I also made out okay.

Hoping to see these point to point reissues start showing up used a couple years from now.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    +1

The price is fair for a hand-wired US-made Fender-badged amp.
    So the reissue is hand wired and no circuit boards?

Interesting I suppose if you have the cash. I'd wonder how they differ from the original.

For that price I'd be more prone to check out used boutique builder examples.

Looks cool for sure though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 73Fender
    So the reissue is hand wired and no circuit boards?
    Appears to be, from the photos.

Interesting I suppose if you have the cash. I'd wonder how they differ from the original.

For that price I'd be more prone to check out used boutique builder examples.

Looks cool for sure though.
    For that price I’ll just build it myself.

User Info Menu

Fender BF Non Reverbs do not sell under $1000. I own both a 66 BF Priceton NR and a 65 BF Deluxe NonReverb. The Princeton I bought from a fellow forum member. We decided on a fair price based on the current prices at that time several years ago. It was a very good price, but more than $1000.
    Mr. Beaumont opened my eyes to the price savings over a reverb model and one less gain stage with the Fender NR.
    You might find a SF under $1000.
    Sure you can save $$ building you own. But the resale value will not be there. I would be hesitant to buy a kit built by a person doing it on their own.

User Info Menu

One thing to note this model is modify to a specific performers specifications. Chris Stapleton. If you read the description it talks about "Chimney snappy twang". I don't know who Mr Stapleton is. But I would guess he's some sort of country music guitarist.

User Info Menu

Fender BF Non Reverbs do not sell under $1000. I own both a 66 BF Priceton NR and a 65 BF Deluxe NonReverb. The Princeton I bought from a fellow forum member. We decided on a fair price based on the current prices at that time several years ago. It was a very good price, but more than $1000.
    Mr. Beaumont opened my eyes to the price savings over a reverb model and one less gain stage with the Fender NR.
    You might find a SF under $1000.
    Sure you can save $$ building you own. But the resale value will not be there. I would be hesitant to buy a kit built by a person doing it on their own.
    You are correct and I erred in my original post. I meant to say/type "Silverface" non-reverb Princetons can be had for around $1k or under.

That's about what I paid for my '69 SFPR just a couple of years ago.

User Info Menu

Re resale value: absolutely. Hence ‘Fender badged’ in my comment. If you ever sell it makes a huge difference.

Re buying an amp built by someone else: absolutely. Assuming I couldn’t build myself, if I were seriously thinking about buying a DIY from someone, I would have it seriously checked by a good tech first. I’ve seen enough amps from small ‘boutique builders’ that curled my hair - no easy task considering the smooth shiny state of my pate.

I don’t know who Chris Stapleton is either, but it is a good point - this is not a reissue. I’ll see if I can figure out what the changes are based on the sparse evidence.

steven

User Info Menu

My interest dropped once I realized it was not a true "reissue". The circuitry, 12" speaker, and power wattage caught my eye at first.

User Info Menu

Ive recently been trying to expand my horizons and attempting to learn some country/rockabilly stuff and built a new rig with this in mind

my amp showed up today, Fender Chris Stapleton’62 Princeton

paired with an American Vintage Telecaster, I was surprised at the great jazz tones I was able to get out of this amp aimed at country players

just in case anyone out there was looking at these ‘62 reissues but was worried about the “twangy” descriptors on Fenders website
    Attached Images Attached Images Fender '62 Princeton (NON-Reverb) Brownface Amp-856f2430-339c-43b2-b44d-0363d0e3b6b1-jpg 

User Info Menu

oh man... I REALLY want to check out one of those Stapleton Princetons... I love my PRRI (with 12"), but have always been more of a tweed/blonde/brown guy than a BF guy... when I plug in my Gretsch, I drop the bass and treble to 0 to accentuate the mids. On my last PRRI, I actually replaced the mids resistor for more mids, and put a Greenback in it for more mids... If the Stapleton had the BF reverb, it would be perfection.

User Info Menu

Those Stapleton Princetons look very vintage-cool to me. How's the headroom?

User Info Menu

The amp is pretty heavy for a Princeton sized amp - I would guess that the 33lbs is correct, I believe that a big part of this is the speaker. I may play around with a lighter speaker sometime in the future

the speaker is also extremely efficient, around 101dB so it gets very loud before it starts to break up.
    if I ever end up trying a different speaker I will probably go with something less efficient (just a personal preference)
    so far it sounds great though, and I am looking forward to spending more time with it this weekend

User Info Menu

my 52 reissue and my 6L6 modded princeton have amazing jazz tones, matt from 30th street put a push pull pot on the tone control, when i lift it, i swear it sounds like an es 125

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tfling
    The amp is pretty heavy for a Princeton sized amp - I would guess that the 33lbs is correct, I believe that a big part of this is the speaker. I may play around with a lighter speaker sometime in the future

the speaker is also extremely efficient, around 101dB so it gets very loud before it starts to break up.
    if I ever end up trying a different speaker I will probably go with something less efficient (just a personal preference)
    so far it sounds great though, and I am looking forward to spending more time with it this weekend
    My '78 Princeton Reverb weighs 37 lbs. Oh wait, that's on my bathroom scale which adds like 15 lbs (at least!) to my weight, so it must be lighter than that ...

John