The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I put a used Katana head on layaway as it is still on police hold until 1/31. The question is, worth getting or look at something else...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Headshot
    I put a used Katana head on layaway as it is still on police hold until 1/31. The question is, worth getting or look at something else...
    I’d say no because I’m a tube guy and don’t trust second hand solid state. Now it may be a wonderful amp with speaker upgrades . I’d also ask what are you using it for because 100watts is really too much for anything really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Let's just say it was an impulse move...play at home mostly, and honestly love my Bugera T5 tube head and my little 25r Frontman.

Let's just say it was an impulse move...play at home mostly, and honestly love my Bugera T5 tube head and my little 25r Frontman.
    O we’ve all been there. I hope it works out for you . God bless.

User Info Menu

I have the 100 1x12 combo, works quite well for me.

User Info Menu

100 isn't too much wattage with solid state if you are playing with a drummer. And used SS is more reliable statistically than used tube FWIW.

However, after having owned both, I would opt for a quilter instead...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    100 isn't too much wattage with solid state if you are playing with a drummer. And used SS is more reliable statistically than used tube FWIW.

However, after having owned both, I would opt for a quilter instead...
    That was something I was thinking about...Quilter head, like the 101 Reverb

User Info Menu

That was something I was thinking about...Quilter head, like the 101 Reverb
    yeah, the quilter 101reverb or od200 have a much more solid tone than katana

User Info Menu

Then you certainly don't "need" it! That being said, I enjoy trying different amps, an am as guilty as others in seeing what I like or not with different rigs (when I don't need to). The first-world problem: there are too many great options out there in the amp world!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Then you certainly don't "need" it! That being said, I enjoy trying different amps, an am as guilty as others in seeing what I like or not with different rigs (when I don't need to). The first-world problem: there are too many great options out there in the amp world!
    Agreed...stopped by the GC to play it a little. Ended up passing on it and grabbed a Vox AC4 instead. I will order a 101 Reverb on payday.

User Info Menu

You're fickle!? Started out thinking about a Katana and bought an AC4. Your therapist would tell you you need help with GAS. I know what you mean though. I'm ashamed to say I've now wasted sooooo much time analysing what to buy - want light, but love valves, but like reliability, but loved the sound of my 1982 DLR, but want a simple set of presets for live work and an easy carry combo. It's probably a Katana Artist - the one with the Waza speaker and front panel that faces me from an amp stand. But locked into a paralising analysis loop.

User Info Menu

I own a Katana 50 and it's a so so amp. I guess for the money it's ok but that's about it. It sounds tinny and trebly. My Mambo amp sounds way, way better.

Would a different speaker make a difference?

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silvertonebetty
    I’d say no because I’m a tube guy and don’t trust second hand solid state. Now it may be a wonderful amp with speaker upgrades . I’d also ask what are you using it for because 100watts is really too much for anything really.

If at some point you need nice clean headroom at a decent volume, 100 watts is not really too much.

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    I own a Katana 50 and it's a so so amp. I guess for the money it's ok but that's about it. It sounds tinny and trebly. My Mambo amp sounds way, way better.

Would a different speaker make a difference?

DB
    Yes a big difference. See the speakers are the weak point of the amps. Throw in a good speaker and it will be night and day . Speakers all have a different sound to them. The all act different to different frequencies. Do some rooting around and be amazed at the difference a quality speakers will do

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    If at some point you need nice clean headroom at a decent volume, 100 watts is not really too much.
    I like a smaller 30 watt amp easier to get a nice breakup . But I wouldn’t trade my meds for clean its the king

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    +2

Too many watts is a tube concept. With SS amps, you can't have too many watts, and it's better to have them and not need them than...

For example, Mambo amps (the UK amp maker who gets some love around here) run 500W @ 4 Ohms, and I've never read some one say this was "too much winning".