The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I know, I know, a metal head? Long story. Anyone know of a high-gain alternative to the Ibanez Super Metal Mini, also in the mini form factor? Turns out the plugs don't sit very flush in the Ibby, the jacks sticking out at least a 1/4" per side, and I need as narrow a solution as possible. See the comparison with a Mooer box below. I like the controls on this Ibby, and it cleans up fairly well if you roll off the vol.

Alternative to Ibanez Super Metal Mini?-ibanez-jpgAlternative to Ibanez Super Metal Mini?-mooer-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

yeah, i guess you're asking me, then? i mean, i may have to field this one by default.

first off, i don't know. second: suhr mini riot? mooer makes a clone, and have a few other "high gain" pedals; that may be worth perusing. the only one i've tried is the black secret, which is a couple of flavors of rat in a box. turns out i'm just not a rat guy. third, not sure what kind of sound you're going for or how much gain you need. i generally like the sl drive, but that isn't really high gain (though you could boost it).

but my most clever suggestion to you? ebs flat patch cables. pick up enough of those to by yourself a little space on your board. they're very good.

What I like about this pedal is:

1: The "Punch" "Edge" and "Attack" controls are like modified Bass Mid and Treble. Very useful.
    2: The "Drive" control acts a lot like a high-gain tube amp. Lower the guitar vol and you have a nice gritty break-up. Crank up the guitar's vol knob and you get a nice creamy sustaining lead tone.

So with Vol, Drive (gain), and the 3 tone controls, it's like a full-featured high-gain preamp.

User Info Menu

if there's space in the housing swap out the jack sockets for shorter ones?

User Info Menu

If you like the pedal that much, you should gut it and install it in a slimmer stomp box with the more suitable input jacks. The circuit boards etc of these pedals are usually tiny compared to the casing. Or have someone do it for you.

Good ideas, tnx. I'll pop it open and see if an adjustment can be made. But since all of the Ibanez mini pedals are configured this way, I wonder it there's something near the internal walls that prevents the plug from going all the way across inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    What I like about this pedal is:

1: The "Punch" "Edge" and "Attack" controls are like modified Bass Mid and Treble. Very useful.
    2: The "Drive" control acts a lot like a high-gain tube amp. Lower the guitar vol and you have a nice gritty break-up. Crank up the guitar's vol knob and you get a nice creamy sustaining lead tone.

So with Vol, Drive (gain), and the 3 tone controls, it's like a full-featured high-gain preamp.
    The 3 tone controls let you shape it nicely from scoop to flat to mid-hump.

User Info Menu

Get an old RealTube 5-knob, you'll get the same tone stack and I love the dirt better than most any other pedal, myself. The three-knob version I had was killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    Get an old RealTube 5-knob, you'll get the same tone stack and I love the dirt better than most any other pedal, myself. The three-knob version I had was killer.
    Thanks, those are supposed to be great, but my post was about needing it a little smaller, not bigger.

User Info Menu

Thanks, those are supposed to be great, but my post was about needing it a little smaller, not bigger.
    lol, I let my enthusiasm run away with me, sorry ... I'd find the room for one of 'em!

User Info Menu

Open up the pedal, and put washers or a nut on each jack, inside the pedal, to make the part of the jack that extends outside, stay inside.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Open up the pedal, and put washers or a nut on each jack, inside the pedal, to make the part of the jack that extends outside, stay inside.
    Can't do that, attached to the board. Bummer.

Alternative to Ibanez Super Metal Mini?-ibanez2-jpg

Might try one of these, has a mid control. Can't hurt to try.

Moen Mini Metal Distortion MN-MT | CheaperPedals.com

Alternative to Ibanez Super Metal Mini?-moen-mini-metal-jpg
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 01-16-2019 at 04:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Can't do that, attached to the board. Bummer.

Alternative to Ibanez Super Metal Mini?-ibanez2-jpg
    How about cutting off the excess with a hacksaw?

John

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

How about cutting off the excess with a hacksaw?
    Hacksaw, or a Dremel with a cutoff wheel. If you like the pedal enough to go to the trouble, and don't mind it being slightly "non-original". Remind me not to buy one of those.