The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Those are L5CES Thinlines with Byrdland tailpieces. As Danny sez, the L5 sounds like an L5, and the Byrdland sounds like a Byrdland...It sounds like what you'd expect a 25.5" Thinline archtop to sound. Buy one or both.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

As Danny says, one...the deeper bodied one...was factory shipped as a Byrdland, with a custom neck. I find it highly interesting as someone who likes both guitars.

User Info Menu

guys - thanks for all the feedback.

i'll check out the 195.

danny did message me, too rich for my blood. and i'd have to sell this byrd, which i like a lot!

thx again

User Info Menu

Gibson made a number of thin-body L-5 guitars with 24.75" scales. The original Gobels were mostly that scale, and many of the reissue Gobels in the '90's were also. Here's one of them (I can't find a full-length shot):

Help Finding the right (Gibson) instrument-gobel-bjb-front-jpg

They don't seem to show up for sale too often though.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    The discontinued ES-195? You'll just have to put up with the Bigsby. It is essentially an ES-175 Thinline with the hockey stick headstock. You may find the Ebony ES-195 for well under $1800 used.

This gug is selling a used Amber at its brandnew price: Gibson Memphis ES-195 2013 Trans Amber w/ Original Hardshell | Reverb
    You do not have to put up with the Bigsby, The trem on the 195 is a B6 and can be removed without leaving a hole in the top. I pulled the B6 off of mine and installed a generic trapeze using the screw holes of the B6. The body is more resonant and lively without the B6 pressing down on the top and I replaced the bridge with one made of rosewood also.

Oh, the P94's are pretty righteous but have a full sized HB footprint so it's no biggie to go away from the single coils if they're not your cup of tea. I don't know about "well under" $1800, they're pretty scarce (meaning they failed) but still finding one will be the problem.

Help Finding the right (Gibson) instrument-es_195_bef_aft-jpg
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 01-11-2019 at 09:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Danny, forgot about the Lonesome George guitars. Good call. Great guitars.