The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 107 of 107

User Info Menu

Fender SUPER Twin - puts out 180 watts RMS - fine amp, especially for pedal steel! Not puny!
    Like the VT-22, it has a lot more power and even more weight than I ever need for small club jazz gigs.

Fender PS-400 - fine amp as well, more like three 145 watt amps in one box (hence the need for three speaker cabs). I think the PS-300 head is more useful, much like a nice Ampeg V-9 head. I suppose these stadium dinosuars are appropriate for those really big Starbucks gigs, eh?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The closest I've gotten to the iconic tone of the Twinreverb with a 1x12" cab is with a 25w Mesa Mark V head.

YMMV.

User Info Menu

Shrunk down Twin?

How about a Double sized Twin...with 4 12" speakers and rated at between 100 - 130 watts?

Enter the Fender Quad Reverb!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Music Man 112?
    Can't agree more.
    I do all my guitar gigs with my 65RP - yes, the one with the built-in phaser!
    A great innovation with the SS pre amp and valve/tube power amp.
    I don't have a TR but a 'modern' Pro Tube Twin Amp which is not much louder and a little more glassy than the 65RP, but twice the weight. The Twin stays at home.

User Info Menu

Get a Quilter Aviator 1x12 combo Blackface tone 100 watts and light weight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stevo58
    We don’t want to leave anyone with functioning hearing, do we?
    When I moved a year or so ago, I unearthed various amps that had been in storage for awhile, including the VT-22. I hadn't used it in over 20 years, and the last gig with it was very fun indeed. I had it serviced, put it up for sale (here, on Reverb, and a few other spots), lubricated the casters, and have been using it daily (to keep it happy) as my go-to jazz amp in bunker #1. I have yet to turn it past the 9 o'clock position, and it provides great tonal joy. Various other wonderful amps are getting sold, but I suspect this one will be wheeled out when I am wheeled out.

Unless one of you buys it, of course.

User Info Menu

Back before I got rid of my Twin I was looking for light weight options and realized that 1) I wouldn’t get it from another amp considering the sum of its parts, including size, and 2) it doesn’t even matter ultimately if you are playing out. Recording, yes, keeping the amp at home yes but what the audience hears is not going to be worth it to me to carry that weight from the car to wherever I’m playing since I already infrequent back problems. As long as I’m happy with the sound I don’t care if it’s an expensive guitar through a cheap amp as long as I think it sounds good, which will in turn end up being listeners thinking it sounds good and I’m not even convinced that an audience would hear a notable difference between a modeler and the real thing when playing live anyway.

Oh I guess that is kind of a reply to a post a bit further back about why play a guitar worth several thousands of dollars through a lesser amp - I don’t agree with the analogy of putting cheap tires on an expensive car. If I only played at home then I probably still would not get a Twin again since I’m not cranking it at home but even then I don’t think an L5 will suddenly not sound good if you aren’t using an amp worth over 1000 dollars. Not to say that people shouldn’t drop that money on an amp, whatever brings someone joy in the end is good but beyond that I do think the context of how it’s being used is important.