The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

I noticed something odd about the placement/location of reverb listings. If I do a search that yields a fairly large number of items, and I select one of the listings, when I go back to the list of items, they are often in different places, even on different screens. (Sorry about the run on sentence .) Makes it kinda hard to methodically look through a bunch of items from the same search.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I often like reverb placement panned to the opposite side of the instrument, gives a wide stereo image. The early Van Halen albums had Eddy hard panned to one side and the reverb hard panned to the other side.

User Info Menu

sort by highest price/delivery
    you don’t get it then

User Info Menu

I have better luck on ebay for selling and I wonder if Reverb is not nearly the place for somethings. Guitars maybe I can see although I have never sold a guitar on reverb ( on listed for sale), I just wonder what others experiences are. The search function for ebay can yield all kinds of weird stuff and does not seem consistant. Reverb search function I wonder if it is rigged?

Ebay for some things is just great I just bought a new pair of running shoes worn once for $50 less than anywhere else. I wish reverb would get up to speed on some items.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ

sort by highest price/delivery
    you don’t get it then
    Good tip, thanks!

User Info Menu

You can pay Reverb extra money for 'bumps' and get your gear higher in the listings.

User Info Menu

Also their "search" criteria has crummy filters. Ask for Les Paul Custom and you cannot filter like Ebay or even Craig's list with negative dis-qualifiers like:

Les Paul custom -shop -SG -special -standard -classic -junior etc.

Nor can you bracket with exclusionary qualifiers like:

"Les Paul Custom"

Add onto the search results many, MANY repetitive "bumps" and it's a PITA to use.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Also their "search" criteria has crummy filters. Ask for Les Paul Custom and you cannot filter like Ebay or even Craig's list with negative dis-qualifiers like:

Les Paul custom -shop -SG -special -standard -classic -junior etc.

You can filter but need to use the term "not". For example, G&L Legacy not:tribute

Here's a link that may help you use Reverb.
    What type of advanced search functions can I use? – Help Center Home

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    You can filter but need to use the term "not". For example, G&L Legacy not:tribute

Here's a link that may help you use Reverb.
    What type of advanced search functions can I use? – Help Center Home
    Yup, but you cannot stack them, it dropped the hits by a bunch, but ignores SHOP SG standard, well most of what I am not looking for.

Les Paul custom not:shop not:sg not:special not:standard not:classic not:junior not:lite

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    You can pay Reverb extra money for 'bumps' and get your gear higher in the listings.
    Yeah, I tried sorting by price, and I was still confused. Then I realized the top row of each page shows "bumped" items regardless of price. The rest are still sorted nicely.

User Info Menu

First two rows are reserved for "bumped" items. The search retrieval weight is calibrated in near-real-time I think, which is why sending two requests moments apart will yield different search results. Outside of those rows, they sort either by their default algorithm or your selected method.

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    First two rows are reserved for "bumped" items. The search retrieval weight is calibrated in near-real-time I think, which is why sending two requests moments apart will yield different search results. Outside of those rows, they sort either by their default algorithm or your selected method.
    Maybe it depends on how many sellers have "bumped" their items. When I search for "kiesel," there is only 1 top row of bumps on each page.

User Info Menu

I had a talk with a Reverb guy, and posed this theoretical question about bumps and other non related "hits"...

If you were looking for a Porsche, and dozens and dozens of other cars (not what you were looking for) kept coming up would all of those other car ads influence you to buy that other car (not a Porsche) or would you go to Ebay or Craig's list where you can sort by and find exactly what you wanted?

I said I'd go to Ebay first, Craig's list next and Reverb last which is what I do, I don't need another git... OMG!!! That sounded like my ex-wife ;-)

Anyway, no answer from him other than, "I'll look into it"

Yeah, that's like I'd rather starve to death than eat my sacred cow.

MBA's THINK they know marketing, despite Reverb's success I think they'd do better by having better filters. Not my loss, but then again they'll never know their loss (as I said to him) so they can be shitfaced happy in their ignorance.

User Info Menu

The point of bumps is not necessarily better marketing, it's to make more money for Reverb. The only real function is to get more money from sellers. And it does that efficiently.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I have better luck on ebay for selling and I wonder if Reverb is not nearly the place for somethings. Guitars maybe I can see although I have never sold a guitar on reverb ( on listed for sale), I just wonder what others experiences are. The search function for ebay can yield all kinds of weird stuff and does not seem consistant. Reverb search function I wonder if it is rigged?

Ebay for some things is just great I just bought a new pair of running shoes worn once for $50 less than anywhere else. I wish reverb would get up to speed on some items.
    I have sold guitars and amps (and bicycles) on eBay. I have bought and sold guitars, pedals, pick-ups, and more on Reverb. My experiences with both services has been positive. That said, I have tended to focus on Reverb in the past 12-18 months. Its focus on musical instruments and now LPs is drawing a huge community. I particularly like the communications functions on Reverb, which allows buyer and seller to open a direct line of communications. It uses a chat metaphor, rather than email metaphor, as eBay does. I think it facilitates near-real time dialog and a great record. You can make an offer from within that dialog. It's building a good database of sales prices by brand, model, and year. eBay has done so, too. But again, the Reverb user interface makes it very easy to search and use.

When thinking about buying or selling gear today, it's the place I go to first.