The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

Well...if you followed my last post, then you know I've been 175 shopping for a while. I almost had a '97...then an '06, but...I ended up coming across a listing for a blonde VOS. It was priced low enough to consider, but there were some red flags. The tuning keys were replaced with StewMac's and there were a couple of filled spots from strap buttons. In the pictures the PUP covers looked way to shiny to be aged MHS. Anyway, the seller was reputable, and put up with a ton of questions. Last straw was that the site where it was listed knocked 25% off for a short interval. I saw that as I was crashing, and decided that if it lasted through the night...I'd take the chance. It was there in the morning, so...couldn't afford not to do it.
    It showed up yesterday...after travelling for a week from Cali. Another cause for pause...an archtop in the system for a week. How could that end well?
    First observation...the guitar in the case must weigh 20-25lbs. Open it up...pretty beautiful looking guitar. If it weighs 6.5lbs...I'd be surprised. Closer to 6 I imagine, but I will weigh it. Gibson makes a hell of an archtop case. So upon inspection...nothing broken, missing, or FUBAR'ed. A pleasant surprise. PUP covers were well aged...just didn't photograph that way. It was strung with rounds, so...they went immediately replaced by Thomastik 12 flats. I set the bridge and tuned to pitch. It took about a half an hour to settle.
    Two or three hours on it now, and here's what I observe:
    -Love the neck carve. I like fat necks (335 59 is very sweet to me).
    -Acoustic sound is huge and very detailed. I could play it without an amp.
    -Amped (tried through a DRRI, Carr Hammerhead mkll, and a Blues Jr (BF Mod)...it's very warm and dynamic. It's brighter than I thought it would be even with the tone rolled off. Not too bright...just brighter than some others I've played. Could be the MHS PUP's, about which I know nothing. Pretty sure that PUP height, pole pieces, amp eq or a pedal can easily take care of that if needed. I've found I have more luck darkening a bright guitar than brightening a dark one. I was able to cop all of the tones I attempted with very little difficulty, and that was on the fly. I'm sure I can do more with more time. Everything I tried sounded sweet and had depth. No mud in the bass notes and not ice-picky on the bridge PUP...which I might actually use since it does sound good.
    -The fretwork is AWESOME! Smooth ends...level...not a dead spot on the board. I think Ibanez does some of the best production fretwork in the business...this is right up there. Maybe someone worked it previously, but if not...Gibson did good.
    -Nut...really well filed nylon nut. Maybe the first Gibson I've had that doesn't ping...yet. My 59 335 has nylon...it pings (I'm getting to it). Again...previous owner????? Don't care...it's good now.
    -Tuners...they gotta go. They look nice and hold but don't feel nearly as smooth as Klusons, Tonepros...etc.
    -Rosewood bridge...I like the sound...haven't gotten it intonated up the neck yet. I got so into playing it that didn't feel like stopping to do it. It's not way off, but...it's off. Have to do it before I try to play with anyone or they'll kill me. For that reason I wish I had put a TOM on it right away, but...I do want to try the RW vibe for a while.
    Okay...that's the skinny. This one is special...lightweigh, open, responsive...guess I got lucky cuz it could've gone sideways as easy as not.
    No idea how you post pix here, so...travel iffin' your of the mind:
    Joel I. Blacher Photography | Music Gear For Sale or Trade

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Whaddayaknow...figured out the pictures! I ain't as dumb as I look.
    Well...yeah...I probably am.
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson ES-175 VOS 59-es175frets-jpg Gibson ES-175 VOS 59-es175headstock-jpg Gibson ES-175 VOS 59-es175back-jpg Gibson ES-175 VOS 59-es175top-jpg Gibson ES-175 VOS 59-es175-drri-jpg 

User Info Menu

I have a sunburst VOS1959 ES175 and I just love it. It is incredibly well made. I tinkered with the bridge height a little at first, but that's literally all it has needed. Plays great, sounds great. And yes, very light. Mine weights 6 lbs. 7 oz. My 2016 ES175 "figured" weighs in at 7 lbs. 12 oz, so substantially heavier. I love that guitar too! But that's almost 1.5 pounds difference, and you can feel and hear it. Interestingly, the Epiphone ES175 Premium, which almost anyone who has played, loves, is the same weight as the VOS1959 Gibson.

User Info Menu

That is a beautiful ES-175. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

Thank you...I hope to do it justice!
    Here's a question...the pickup selector feels like it's floating in the rubber gasket rather than attached to the body. Is that the design? The nut is secure and won't tighten further. I've got a 70's Ibanez 175 and a Ventura copy (they are identical BTW...save for the spruce top on the Ventura...both killer) with rubber grommets, and both are attached to the body firmly. Just curious about the Gibson.

User Info Menu

I have a 2012 VOS, blonde like yours, with one Classic '57 pickup. It does have a pretty strong acoustic voice for a laminated, electric guitar. Funny story, a sax player asked me to do an outdoor gig with him for an event outside a store. When I got there I asked where to plug my amp in and was told their rental agreement prohibited "electric" music. The show must go on, and while it certainly would not have been my choice, I played acoustically. We got through the gig and we even got paid.

My guitar seems pretty sensitive to how it's set up. In a good way. You can set it up to get a variety of tones, including bringing out that acoustic voice, if you want it. Or not. You can also get that ES-175 "thunk" everyone on this forum talks about. Try adjusting the pickup height after you get it playing right. Mine has a definite sweet spot.

How about your PUP selector...it float?

User Info Menu

The PUP selector switch is floating on mine as well. I think it is that way by design.

Congrats on the new axe. in late 2017, I bought a new Blonde 2017 59 Reissue from the CME blowout for just under $2700 with shipping and am super pleased. The MHS PUPs are unpotted and provide a bit of "detail" that could be considered as bright, but overall, this (at least mine) is a dark and fat guitar. The VOS treatment is both a coating on the paint (which can be rubbed out if you like) and a coating on the nickel. I have found that with time, the nickel gets shinier as the coating wears off, kind of the opposite of most nickel plated guitars that get duller as they tarnish.

The fretwork on mine is first rate. My only complaint is that while they paint the insides of the F holes with crème paint (as per the originals), the F holes could have been sanded better prior to the paint. The fat (untapered) neck is not to my liking, but I have adapted.

These are great guitars. I will be keeping mine for the long haul.

User Info Menu

Congrats! I love mine, as I mentioned in your previous post. I should have warned you about the weight of the case.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chazmo
    ...for an event outside a store. When I got there I asked where to plug my amp in and was told their rental agreement prohibited "electric" music. The show must go on, and while it certainly would not have been my choice, I played acoustically. We got through the gig and we even got paid.
    the great jim hall would say similar...if he showed up to a gig and the amp was not behaving properly, he'd say i'll just play (his iconic 175) acoustic!!!...it still put out enough tone for him to play comfortably, even in an onstage environment!!

cheers

User Info Menu

The 59 vos is a great guitar that will continue to impress! Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    The PUP selector switch is floating on mine as well. I think it is that way by design.

Congrats on the new axe. in late 2017, I bought a new Blonde 2017 59 Reissue from the CME blowout for just under $2700 with shipping and am super pleased. The MHS PUPs are unpotted and provide a bit of "detail" that could be considered as bright, but overall, this (at least mine) is a dark and fat guitar. The VOS treatment is both a coating on the paint (which can be rubbed out if you like) and a coating on the nickel. I have found that with time, the nickel gets shinier as the coating wears off, kind of the opposite of most nickel plated guitars that get duller as they tarnish.

The fretwork on mine is first rate. My only complaint is that while they paint the insides of the F holes with crème paint (as per the originals), the F holes could have been sanded better prior to the paint. The fat (untapered) neck is not to my liking, but I have adapted.

These are great guitars. I will be keeping mine for the long haul.
    I agree about the f holes. However, I think the neck is perfect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    I agree about the f holes. However, I think the neck is perfect.
    The fat untapered 50's neck seems to be the style these days. I prefer the 60's slim taper or the 70's-90's tapered necks which go from slim at the nut to fat at the body join, but the style since about 2000 is the fat, untapered 50's neck. It is not as fat as say, a baseball bat neck like Epiphone used in the early 50's and the very round C profile does make the 59 RI 175 fairly easy to play. And if that extra wood contributes to the fat tone, it is all good!

User Info Menu

My VOS seems to have taken a liking to this cute little 5w tube amp I picked up over the holidays.

Gibson ES-175 VOS 59-img_2334-jpg

User Info Menu

after travelling for a week from Cali. Another cause for pause...an archtop in the system for a week. How could that end well?
    .......wow EPIc STORY...

User Info Menu

The VOS 175s are the closest to the originals. If you ever owned one of the vintage instruments (I did for three decades), the VOS is going to check your boxes, IMO. The weight and acoustic feel of the instrument seems right, and the neck carve also gets it right.

OTOH, I also have to say that the 175s made in the last 25-30 years are also very desirable instruments--just different from the originals. They are heavier and feature much fancier veneers on the body. TOM bridges, too. This being said, the tone of these instruments when plugged in (they are pretty "meh" acoustically, IME) is just sensational.

In the final analysis, I like them both a LOT. Both jbear and Lawson's VOS 175s really make me want to get another 175. OTOH, I could be very happy with a late model, flamey 175...just need to turn the neck pickup ring around to make it look right to my eyes.

GREAT guitars.

User Info Menu

Sadly Gibson no longer makes the 175 and its replacement the 275 doesn’t float my boat.

User Info Menu

Vinny1k is correct, and I don't go in for the 275 either. Fortunately, there exist many used examples of the 175 to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Sadly Gibson no longer makes the 175 and its replacement the 275 doesn’t float my boat.
    Somebody tell me that was a mistake!
    Is that really true...if so...WTF Gibson? That's like them not making 335's, Les Pauls or SG's, or Fender discontinuing Strats or Teles...it just ain't right!
    If it's not true...never mind.

User Info Menu

It is true but they have plenty of blue burst Les Pauls and rose pink 335’s.

F**K, F**K, F**KITY, F**K!

User Info Menu

I suspect that before long, there will be an ES-175 reissue forthcoming. Discontinuing this model may have been a ploy to increase demand.

User Info Menu

I agree with Stringswinger. Gibson will see that there's a demand for this great, American archtop guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Vinny1k is correct, and I don't go in for the 275 either. Fortunately, there exist many used examples of the 175 to choose from.
    I am now in possession of TWO 2016 "figured" ES175s. One I bought in the CME blowout, the other I bought from Joe DeNisco. I'm keeping Joe's out of sentimental feeling, but the other I will sell pretty soon. I'm trying to figure out what a fair price would be. So if you want one, stay tuned!

So here's a revelation...my Carr Hammerhead MkII, which I have posted locally cuz it's not my vibe)...sounds awesome with this guitar. The headroom isn't great (I did expect that), but the way it hits the break up, and stays tight is very cool. Didn't expect that at all. Messing around the other day I was thinking this sounds ok. Today after an hour...I really dig it. Now what?
    I use a Suhr for my heavy stuff, a Ceriatone OT Special for my bluesy stuff, and a DRRI for my jazz stuff. It's hard to justify keeping this amp, but...dang.
    First world problems...I am NOT complaining...just to be clear!