The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 72

User Info Menu

Do you exclusively like a pure guitar tone or you like to add some salt and pepper? What effects do you use?
    Just talking about jazz, for other generes, effects are an obvious tool.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm not anti effects, but I'm pretty much a straight plug and play guy. More out of laziness than out of any altruistic vision...there's enough good sounds I can get that way, I suppose.

User Info Menu

I like a pure tone with a little reverb. Sometimes I’ll use delay but I just end up getting annoyed by it.

User Info Menu

What little jazz I manage to play I tend to play straight up. But 3 of my favourite artists are John Schofield, Pat Metheny, and Bill Frisell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

What El Fundo said....I only use a little reverb and a tad delay when playing 'Chet' stuff but otherwise no. I like for my guitar to sound like a guitar not a buzzsaw or a camel burping.

User Info Menu

Reverbs with enough processing power to run one of the old Apollo missions. Slap back, tape, echo, and various other delays because depth is deep. Chorus for thickness, compression to squash, and outboard EQ to make sense of it all. Looper for practice and for ambient. Tremolo when your thinking of a smokey room in the 50's. Amp emulation because you were born in the 50's and your back isn't what it used to be.

User Info Menu

Definitely reverb, and maybe some delay and overdrive if the spirit moves me!

User Info Menu

Reverb always. If I am playing a fusion gig (not often these days) I use chorus. That is it for me.

User Info Menu

I use reverb sometimes, but not enough to really hear. I dislike heavy reverb, and while I usually have the reverb pedal connected, it's usually off. Most of the time, direct into the amp is fine. I have one amp with built-in reverb, and it's almost always off. I have an EQ pedal, and a Fishman Platinum which has compression and EQ, but I almost never use them. I keep thinking about a Nocturne JR Barnyard, but it just doesn't seem to be essential for me.

User Info Menu

Guitar -> cord -> amp

I am anti-effects for jazz, just pure dead clean big tube amp

User Info Menu

I avoid most effects no matter the genre I'm playing, any more. The occasional chorus or delay when covering some Rush is about it for me -- along with clean boost to get the solos to cut.

User Info Menu

Reverb is always on.

I have four sounds programmed into my pedal board. Clean, fuzz (for certain tunes in my horn band), chorus (infrequently used) and my lead tone. The idea is to try to make the notes sound thicker.

Clip of the lead tone attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Reverb is always on.

I have four sounds programmed into my pedal board. Clean, fuzz (for certain tunes in my horn band), chorus (infrequently used) and my lead tone. The idea is to try to make the notes sound thicker.

Clip of the lead tone attached.
    That sounds really nice! Pretty natural sounding, reverb is really subtle and ambient like a nice room. Are you mic'ed or going line-in?

I wonder how much different it would sound through just amp bare clean...?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    That sounds really nice! Pretty natural sounding, reverb is really subtle and ambient like a nice room. Are you mic'ed or going line-in?

I wonder how much different it would sound through just amp bare clean...?
    The comping is clean, except for reverb. There are actually two reverbs heard, one in the ME80 (Spring, I think) and other in the Little Jazz. Both on fairly low.

The gear is Comins GCS-1 --> Boss ME80 --> DV Mark Little Jazz.

It's a Yamaha Pocketrak PR7 about 8 feet away from the amp, off to the side. It's a handheld with two onboard mics, and that's what you hear.

If I go straight into the amp, the midrange sounds are pretty thick, but the high notes get thin. If the pedalboard allowed me to do it, I would have the processing be frequency dependent, so there was less of it in the midrange.

User Info Menu

No FX unless I am playing more modern jazz, which is ultra-rare.

When that happens, I like to have a bit of a more aggressive and sustaining lead sound. For instance, I had need to get a Rosenwinklish sound at a gig in June and managed it well with tele --> Rat (set pretty low on the gain dial) --> Delay with a bit of phaser.

User Info Menu

Reverb, delay, dirt, sometimes compression, even a hint of chorus, and tremolo for swampy goodness. Can't forget the wah.

User Info Menu

Most of the time i use a preamp /semi parametric EQ and a volume pedal into the amp with subtle reverb. I also use a looper for duo settings with hornplayers or singers, but prefer loopers which don't change/colour the sound.

Over the decades i went through rigs with chorus and delay or phasers but came back to prefering a pure sound long ago. If i use chorus nowadays, which happens rarely it would be in a duo setting, intended to provide a singer with a comfortable "stereo-carpet" to walk on.

User Info Menu

EQ (parametric and low-cut hi-cut), studio compression, delay, reverb.

User Info Menu

Same as anything else I play. Some reverb, a touch of delay and always on (mild) clean boost.

User Info Menu

Depends on whether or not I can be bothered to lug and plug in the pedal board?

TBH I go in cycles. I used to play with a shit load of chorus and slight drive. Then I went for about 5 years mostly playing acoustic.

These days - on one hand, I kind of feel almost everyone is doing the ambience thing, and this is because it makes things sound nice, and easier to play...

Which is both a good thing, and a bad thing. ATM I feel quite ascetic and want to play with a very natural sound, warts and all, with no reverb. it's def good for my playing.

OTOH I am also aware that jazz guitarists are pretty bad at taking advantage of the resources of the instrument.

I think a lot depends on the writing and project. I like finding interesting and quirky effects that allow me to do interesting things musically.

User Info Menu

I almost always use reverb. For straightahead jazz I like a touch of dirt from the amp. Not full-on overdrive, but a little "hair" to warm up the sound and give a little sustain while soloing, a la Burrell/Green/Bernstein. Hence my preference for smaller amps that can do this at sane volumes. For blues/fusion/funk amalgams, I use an OD pedal.

I have a chorus pedal, and once a year I plug into it, and go stereo into two amps.
    I then exclaim "hey this sounds really cool!" and then put the chorus away for another year, so as to not be tempted to indulge the ludicrous urge to play through two amps.

John

User Info Menu

I like the fx sounds people get on guitar
    So I'm not purist about it ...

But whenever I try to use them , for me
    It doesn't work ....

I'm usually playing with drums bass keys and a horn or singer , they don't usually have fx
    so if I go with fx , I don't fit in with the band
    so well

however I would love a pedal whereby I could
    sustain a chord indefinately then solo over that
    For solo or duo work .....
    But I'm not crazy about the sound of the
    various freeze pedals available currently

I'd like an old school prophet 5 type pad
    sound sustaining ... If that ever became
    possible

So my ideal pedal would on pressing the
    (Piano type) pedal ...
    detect the notes I'm playing
    Then generate the same notes on a synth
    with a couple of knobs on there to adjust

and mute them on releasing the pedal

Don't like the sound of current
    Pogs micro-synths etc

I want a sort of super-freeze I think
    One day some bright spark will make one I guess

User Info Menu

I have a small single channel amp so I need to add a reverb (t-Rex) and I like a little hair sometimes without cranking the amp so use a mojo mojo. The mojo was suggested here and works great for subtle effect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    I like the fx sounds people get on guitar
    So I'm not purist about it ...

But whenever I try to use them , for me
    It doesn't work ....

I'm usually playing with drums bass keys and a horn or singer , they don't usually have fx
    so if I go with fx , I don't fit in with the band
    so well

however I would love a pedal whereby I could
    sustain a chord indefinately then solo over that
    For solo or duo work .....
    But I'm not crazy about the sound of the
    various freeze pedals available currently

I'd like an old school prophet 5 type pad
    sound sustaining ... If that ever became
    possible

So my ideal pedal would on pressing the
    (Piano type) pedal ...
    detect the notes I'm playing
    Then generate the same notes on a synth
    with a couple of knobs on there to adjust

and mute them on releasing the pedal

Don't like the sound of current
    Pogs micro-synths etc

I want a sort of super-freeze I think
    One day some bright spark will make one I guess
    Gamechanger plus

User Info Menu

For many years my basic sound was reverb and a light but noticeable tremolo. Pretty much a vintage Fender sound including the mid-range scoop. These days my sound is a lot flatter with enough reverb to spread the note a bit and lessen the attack at the front end. It doesn't have to be great reverb just there. I've never felt really comfortable with a bone dry sound.