Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
Posts 476 to 488 of 488

User Info Menu

A good power cable is essential to a good sound

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Silentwiz View Post
    Aren't they all functionally identical?

The one that came with the Little Jazz is very stiff. I like to have cables and power cords that are designed for portable use that wrap nicely. Although almost any IEC power cord will work, a lot of those cords are not intended for mobile use. Very few people move their desktop computer on a daily basis.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz View Post
    I replaced mine with this:
    Sorry! Something went wrong!

I think I will go ahead and order one of those. I like the color as well. Should make it easy to spot the cable that's mine at a busy event.

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I am a frequent lurker but rarely post, apologies if this has been covered exhaustively.

I recently saw the DV Mark Little Jazz on sale and couldn't resist. I read a lot of praise about the amp, but I wasn't sure what to expect. My previous experience runs a gamut of amps, but I currently play a PRRI and a Carr Skylark. I have also spent quite a bit of time with an Evans RE300 and a Henriksen Bud. Sadly, I have no Polytone experience!

I am frankly shocked by how good the LJ sounds and feels. I think what I am noticing is a large amount of compression, but I can't be sure. Can anyone confirm? As has been stated, the sound is fairly dark but it is really fun to play.

When I plug-in to the PRRI and the Skylark for comparison I do notice quite a lot more detail in the highs and the beautiful spring reverb of course, but at $300 the LJ is quite a deal- especially given the cost of the Carr (which was a generous and humbling gift).

It has me wondering if I can't dial in sound close to the LJ on the other amps, but I think it is the compression that is key- any thoughts?

How does the LJ compare to a Polytone? Both the Evans and the Henriksen always sound fairly high-fi to me. Are folks able to get a sound like the LJ but with more high-end detail? The form factor and weight of these little amps is hard to beat!

Thank you!

User Info Menu

They do have a bit of compression. I've noticed that with mine too. They have a very warm sound, and I really like the fat midrange that can be dialled in. The EQ is really well thought out.

User Info Menu

To add to this conversation: I have an DV Mark Lil' Jazz. Recently, a friend and I did an A-B-C comparison between the DV Mark, a Polytone, and a Henriksen Bud Six. We took turns with a three-way switcher going between the amps with an ES-175, ES-125, and a 1939 Vega Archtop. Bottom line: The DV Mark did great and sounded full and clear, perhaps a bit more so than the Polytone. It was not too compressed and the EQ was very responsive. The Bud Six, however, had some incredible low end, a clear high end, and full mid-range. Therefore, it was probably the winner, but not at 4x the price!

User Info Menu

I've mentioned this before, but maybe it's worth repeating.

I AB'ed the LJ with an original 64 Ampeg Reverberocket.

The Ampeg has incredible reverb. For this comparison I used some reverb in front of the amps with a Boss ME80. I then added a some more with each amp. Not too high on the LJ, because the reverb starts sounding unnatural if dialed too high.

They didn't sound identical, but changes in EQ made a much bigger difference than switching amps. In the end, I thought they sounded surprisingly similar. I thought the LJ was a little clearer on hard hit chords. The Ampeg now stays in the closet and I use the LJ almost every time I play.

I find that the LJ puts out too much bass for my application. I usually turn it all the way down. I also turn the treble down slightly. That takes the fizz out of the high end of the guitar (a problem on some guitars and some amps) and leaves me with a warm sound, to my ear, that I can use.

I've never tried the Henriksen amps. I never cared for Polytone.

Long time lurker here! I’m reviving this thread as it seemed unnecessary to make another one for this one question:

Can anyone confirm that the Micro 50 head (clean channel) is the same amp as the Jazz (Little, 12 and 212) combos? I’ve emailed DV Mark, but have gotten no response so far. There’s an attractively priced, used DV Guitar Friend 12 (a micro 50 + 12” speaker cab) near me, around the same price as a used Little Jazz; having this information would make my choice much easier.

User Info Menu

See the following links;
    Micro 60 Jazz..update of the Micro 50 Jazz..
    1) DV MICRO 60 JAZZ – Markbass (discontinued model)
    2) DV MICRO 50 JAZZ – Markbass (discontinued model)

3) DV Mark Micro 50 CMT..
    DV MICRO 50 CMT Ciro Manna Signature – DVMark (discontinued model)

4) DV Mark Micro 60 CMT
    DV MICRO 60 CMT Ciro Manna signature – DVMark (current model)

* 1) and 2) are supposed to be the head version of the Little Jazz chassis.
    ** 3) and 4) have a 6205 micro tube in the pre-amp. Miniature, lower output version of a 12AX7.

Per email from DV Mark several years ago, the rep characterized the Micro 50 Jazz as 'flatter' and the Micro 50 CMT as 'warmer'.
    I have never tried the Micro 50/60.
    I have a Little Jazz and really like it.
    I also have the Micro 50 CMT and think it is great and slightly warmer as well.

DV Mark Little Jazz-dv-mark-micro-50-jazz-jpgDV Mark Little Jazz-dv-micro-60-jazz-jpgDV Mark Little Jazz-dv-mark-cmt-v1-jpgDV Mark Little Jazz-dv-mark-cmt-v2-jpg

User Info Menu

Since buying my Bud 6 last year my LJ has not gotten a lot of use. I recently tried the LJ again with my Reverend Pete Anderson Eastsider T style guitar using the neck pickup. Much to my surprise I like that combination. I was able to play it with the LJ tone controls almost flat. I ended up using it with tone controls Bass Middle Treble at 11 11 & 12 O'clock positions. Took it out to an open mic / jam where people often bring small combos. People were telling me they liked it better than the Bud 6. It almost makes me wonder if the LJ was designed for solid body guitars or the usual Tele style neck pickup. With my archtops I found I was always substantially having to roll off the bass / middle EQ. It seems the LJ compression worked well with the T style guitar.

(For reference, Reverend describes that T style pick up as follows: "Traditional T tone but with extra punch and clarity. RWRP for hum-cancelling when used with bridge pickup. 42 gauge wire, alnico 5 magnets, 6.0K ohms.")

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM View Post
    Since buying my Bud 6 last year my LJ has not gotten a lot of use. I recently tried the LJ again with my Reverend Pete Anderson Eastsider T style guitar using the neck pickup. Much to my surprise I like that combination. I was able to play it with the LJ tone controls almost flat. I ended up using it with tone controls Bass Middle Treble at 11 11 & 12 O'clock positions. Took it out to an open mic / jam where people often bring small combos. People were telling me they liked it better than the Bud 6. It almost makes me wonder if the LJ was designed for solid body guitars or the usual Tele style neck pickup. With my archtops I found I was always substantially having to roll off the bass / middle EQ. It seems the LJ compression worked well with the T style guitar.

(For reference, Reverend describes that T style pick up as follows: "Traditional T tone but with extra punch and clarity. RWRP for hum-cancelling when used with bridge pickup. 42 gauge wire, alnico 5 magnets, 6.0K ohms.")
    Having owned both, I thought the DV Mark Little Jazz added a certain color and compression to the tone regardless of what guitar you are using, or even where the tone controls are set somewhat. To me, the Henriksens are more of a true representation of the guitar sound, and the tone controls make much more of an impact. With this, I thought single coils like my tele sounded way better through the DV mark, with the color adding in a little oomph. My tele seems to sound a little thin through the Blu 6. However, I much prefer my archtops through the Henriksens and I sold the Little Jazz.

User Info Menu

As I've said before, I think the LJ needs to be tilted to get the best sound, taming the bass and slight boxiness I hear when it's flat on the floor. I tilt mine using a wedge, and in that position I usually set the controls flat, although some guitars and locations may need increasing the treble very slightly, or reducing the bass just a bit. I almost never go outside the 11 to 1 area though, if even that far. But tone is one of the most subjective subjects, and what I like may not be what anyone else likes. The tone controls are very effective, and not at all difficult to turn in either direction. I haven't played a solid-body in so long I have no opinion on how those sound through the LJ.

User Info Menu

I've had the LJ for several years now.

Early on, I was enamored of the sound. I still like it, but I only use it for very quiet situations now.

The sound for lead lines works fine for me, including getting pretty loud. It was the sound for chords that I got concerned about. There's just a bit of harshness that I came not to like.

Caveat: I play a semi and I'm not going for a traditional archtop type sound.

When I switched to a more powerful amp (including the Bose S1 that I posted about and then an old Roland JC55), I got spontaneous compliments about my sound in two different bands. It was very clear that the other musicians did not prefer the LJ.

All that said, I still use the LJ in rehearsals, which are usually about as quiet as pgbd quartets get. If I have to play louder, I get out the JC55.

I have found that I need to roll the bass down. I don't tilt the amp -- I seem to prefer it flat on the floor.