The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Posts 251 to 275 of 488

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    Interestingly here in the UK the actual case available for the amp is quite a lot cheaper (£37 at GAK) than that cuica percussion bag (at least £50).
    But does the official bag also offer a shoulder strap and an extra bag to store things in?

I have a long day of teaching ahead of me tomorrow, so I will be able to comment on the fans tomorrow.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I can't find any case available on the DVMark site for the Little Jazz amp. Any pointers?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman View Post
    Nice Les Paul Recording (or Professional). I saw Les himself play one of those as well as Terry Kath on a couple occasions.
    Thank you! Was a real 'dream guitar' for me. So glad I found one.

Terry Kath played the "Professonal" - similar to my guitar, except they had a slightly larger body and no internal impedance matching transformer.

Les Paul's guitar of choice was the LP Recording, like my guitar I suppose - although his had a bigsby and countless other modifications.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman View Post
    Nice Les Paul Recording (or Professional). I saw Les himself play one of those as well as Terry Kath on a couple occasions.
    Do you need a transformer of some sort
    With the low z pick ups in a LP recording ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Do you need a transformer of some sort
    With the low z pick ups in a LP recording ?
    In the Les Paul Personal and Professional models you do need an external transformer.

The Recording model has a built in transformer - however it causes a lot of the controls to be very ineffective.
    Using an external transformer close the amp sounds far better- in my picture you can see the transformer.

The output of the low z pickups is so low that even with the amplifier volume almost dimed the sound is very quiet. They were only wound to something like 10 ohms as opposed to a PAF which is about 8000 ohms.

User Info Menu

I also have a LP Recording, and used it continuously for many years. I quickly discovered that it gave its full potential when used with a preamp. I rewired it slightly so that the volume control worked better, and the nasty transformer was isolated, and (being knowledgable with electronics at the time) added a simple preamp stage into a couple of my foot pedals. The variety of sounds I got when playing live would often result in puzzled expressions; people were looking around, thinking I had changed guitars! I would still use the guitar now, except that I have played it so much that it is in a very worn, delicate state, sadly.
    I'm not sure that the DV Mark will bring out the full versatility of the guitar, especially the 'tinkly' acoustic sounds with the Decade on 3. If you can, try it with a preamp and/or an acoustic amp.

User Info Menu

Hi A440 -

Great to hear from someone else who uses a Les Paul Recording!

Agreed- the LP Recording really needs a full range speaker/amp to hear the effects of that decade control properly. The versatility of these guitars is really amazing. The decade switch on '3' is one of my favourite sounds.

Speakers with aluminium dust caps (ie. old JBLs, the speakers in JC-120s, the 15'' Black Widow in my Peavey) give that extended high-end that makes the effects of the low-impedance electronics more pronounced.

The DV Mark is voiced fairly dark - as far as good jazz sounds go, the Les Paul sounds wonderful with it. It's not possible to get those kind of 'acoustic' sounds though.

What's worn on your Les Paul? There is a place where you can order new control plates and pickguards. I bought a spare control plate for mine. The control plates are the common wear/tear item. I am considering putting a jack on the side of the guitar (ie. like a normal Les Paul) and unplugging the one on the plate.

The frets on my guitar are getting a bit low but it still plays well - I do realise that a refret is on the cards in the next few years though. Would like to have the binding nibs retained, so it'll be a costly job.

User Info Menu

Finally had the chance to take it out to a gig.

Was in a little bar, might have been 40 or so people there? Gig was with drums and double bass.
    Mainly we play 40's/50's swing music, but a bit of early rock and roll too (ie. Bill Haley).
    I used the Les Paul Recording.

The amp had no problems keeping up volume-wise. It really filled the room nicely. The amp was lifted off the floor to make it easier for me to hear and to tame the bass a little bit. The tone was very full sounding. So far I'm really impressed.

My Quilter Aviator Twin Ten is a wonderful amp, but I have to admit that this little cube actually sounded better for the jazz sounds. The mids were fuller and richer.

So far I'm really liking it.

User Info Menu

Yes, the DV Mark is great for live use. It has enough power for most situations, except perhaps a big band.
    Re the LP Recording: I'd like to chat a bit more about it but I think we will be going off-topic a bit, so I'll PM you if that's okay?

User Info Menu

One thing to note about the Little Jazz is that it's rear ported. That means it's sensitive to what is behind it, and how far away it is. Moving it just a few inches can change the tone heard out in front of it by a lot, and the ports also affect the sound if you tilt the amp.

User Info Menu

All this Little Jazz talk, I searched and found the "Micro Jazz" head for sale on Reverb (I have a small cab, so I don't need the Little combo). Music123 has them for "$299," with a "Make an Offer" option. I did a little looking/asking around (I have some friends in retail music, but who aren't DV dealers), and put in a reasonable offer, and they countered with a "$290" offer. I declined.

User Info Menu

I've done 3-4 gigs now with my DV Mark Little Jazz.

Very happy with it- I think it's the best purchase I've made in a long time.
    It's loud enough for most situations- had it at a fairly noisy jam session a couple nights ago. Was more than loud enough.

My main experience with smaller amps is with a Roland Cube 40XL which I absolutely hated. Never could get a good sound from it.

It's extremely hard to make the Little Jazz sound harsh - amazing for a tiny little box. It doesn't sound boxy either. Full, rich yet clear.

Looking forward to taking it to my next big band gig. We are doing a Benny Goodman night to celebrate 80 years since the Carnegie Hall concert. Will be using my Gretsch w/ Charlie Christian pickup though this little amp. I use a Boss OD-3 with the gain on zero to give a more honky-tube like sound. Works well for that 30s/40s sound.

User Info Menu

I just got my "Little Jazz" and I am having some annoying distortion issues, when the volume
    is around 12 'clock. It appears when you hit chords in a 4 to the bar like manner.
    I am not talking about heavy strumming like crazy ....
    Did anybody experience the same thing?

best, Chris

User Info Menu

I get this in my practice room, and it always comes from other guitars, or something else in the room vibrating sympathetically. A couple of days ago I was getting an annoying buzz, which turned out to be an open latch on a guitar case near the amp that was vibrating. Fastening the latch stopped the noise. I've had no distortion or any other noise issues from my LJ, other than what was introduced by external objects. I often get sounds from vibrating strings on guitars hanging on the wall, but that's not the fault of the amp. I would suggest checking out your practice area carefully, looking for things that may be vibrating. It's like trying to find the source of vibrations on an archtop, and can take time. Of course, I can't say that yours doesn't have its own issue, since I'm not there, but mine has none.

User Info Menu

Nope, very clean and clear, even with P90s and a CC pick-up.

User Info Menu

Remember your Quilter Aviator 2x10" is open back as opposed to your DV Mark being closed back. That will make a huge difference in percieved bass response. I also own a couple of Quilters 1x8 closed back and 1x12" combo open back. Another thing is to try different speakers, for me it was a Celestion 150 Redback 12". This really increased the bass response.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your opinions and tips regarding the distortion noise!
    I tested the amp again this morning.
    It actually appears when the volume is around 1 o'clock and I am still not sure weather
    this is a normal reaction of the amp or not.
    So, please maybe you Little Jazz users here: Could you tell me at what volume Level
    you get a distortion noise from the speaker?

best, Chris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JeanSut View Post
    Thanks for your opinions and tips regarding the distortion noise!
    I tested the amp again this morning.
    It actually appears when the volume is around 1 o'clock and I am still not sure weather
    this is a normal reaction of the amp or not.
    So, please maybe you Little Jazz users here: Could you tell me at what volume Level
    you get a distortion noise from the speaker?

best, Chris
    I have as yet to have any distortion. The loudest I played it is “2:00” with my mini-humbucker D’A EXL-1 and my Tele with N3’s. Even in bridge position on the Tele, as clean as clean can be with the Tele cranked full and some make up gain from my compressor.

User Info Menu

I do get some distortion when the volume is on 8 or 9 (about 2 o'clock), but it's not unpleasant. I take it as a warning that I may be getting carried away and playing too loud!

User Info Menu

I haven't heard any distortion at any volume level that my ears could tolerate, other than what a pedal may have put there. Straight into the amp, there is none.

User Info Menu

Thanks again for your observations!
    Maybe I am too critical.... The distortion appears at a volume level
    that is already a little bit unpleasant - i mean quite loud !
    Isn't that normal - that the tone of an amp breaks up
    after a certain level?

User Info Menu

It depends. It could be the speaker making the unpleasant noise, or it could be something else vibrating. Impossible to say from long distance. But yes, speakers do start distorting at some level, and can be destroyed if the volume gets loud enough. But the speaker in the LJ is matched to the power output of the amp, at least fairly closely, so it shouldn't blow out. Different speakers do have slightly different characteristics, though, and you may have one weaker than average. Again, can't say from long distance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JeanSut View Post
    Thanks again for your observations!
    Maybe I am too critical.... The distortion appears at a volume level
    that is already a little bit unpleasant - i mean quite loud !
    Isn't that normal - that the tone of an amp breaks up
    after a certain level?
    If you can't figure it out, you might try returning it and getting the Jazz 12. It might handle high volumes a little better due to it's size.

User Info Menu

If you can't figure it out, you might try returning it and getting the Jazz 12. It might handle high volumes a little better due to it's size.
    I thought about getting the Jazz 12, but I decided to keep the Little Jazz. I used it live for the first time and volume wasn't a problem!
    For higher volumes I still have my Henriksen Convertible.