The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 46

User Info Menu

Hi to the jazz guitar community

I actually own just one amp which is a Gibson GA8T clone, made by a french indépendant amp maker (Vizy)
    I just love it, great tone, very reliable, pretty loud for 8 watts (actually VERY loud).
    Halfway past on the volume the thing just breaks up marvelously.

I have been een working on a funk Benson type band for a few months, and the GA8T, while having a huge sound for it's wattage (my bandmates, just don't believe the power of the thing), it will not hold with a drummer.

So I've decided to go towards the solid state offer. I had the Blues Cube stage for a while, it was good, but I sold it after a few months.. I didn't need such power at the time, and the GA8T had allI needed.

After some research, I want to purchase the Quilter Mach Pro 2. I need a versatile amp, I love jazz, but I also play blues, funk, reggae, fusion, Hendrix type things..

Now I 'm wondering what you think of that amp for jazzy stuff?
    And should I go for the 8 or 12 inch speaker?
    I would tend to prefer the 8 just for size, but would I really miss something compared to the 12 inch?
    Thanks in advance

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I actually prefer the Quilter "Aviators" over the "Mach;" if you use pedals for your blues/funk stuff, the Aviator is all you need for a clean platform.

The Aviator 8 puts out quite a bit of full sound, but if your main concern is a loud drummer, you may prefer the 12 (or the 8 with an extension cab!).

User Info Menu

Is it size, or weight that's an issue? The MP12 with the HD neo speaker is pretty light. I prefer the MP over the Aviator because I do a lot of pit work and often need to switch sounds quickly. If you play mainly one sound all night, then the Aviator would work. Of course, then there's the closed-back/open-back decision too.

User Info Menu

Well the thing is I don't have the opportunity to choose the Aviator here in Europe.
    Well I have heard that the 8 inch is already quite powerful, and different sounding.. Maybe tighter bass and dynamics than the 12 inch?
    Some say 10 inch speakers are very well suited for archtops (I plan to use a 74 Guild CE 100 D in the band), some there might be some kind of similiraty regarding an 8 inch speaker
    And nowadays I tend to prefer a small rig.
    I wonder if I will loose something if I don't take the 12 inch
    I read somewhere that the 8 inch sounded better for cleans and the 12 for dirt?
    My plan is to use the Quilter only clean and use my overdrive pedal (T Rex Moller 1st edition)
    I won't go for big distortion anyway

User Info Menu

MP for me!

Had the 8 -- returned and got the 12...just personal taste but I think the 12 was a bit deeper in tone and not as bright as the 8.

seemed like the 8 came off to me more like as a stereo type speaker with more highs and and the 12 as a more traditional amp sound --

again. just preference.... still super light.... GREAT AMP!! no doubt!

User Info Menu

I solved the dilemna by choosing the 8 and adding a 12" extension cab. In a band setting I find the 8 does just fine. In solo playing where the tone is more apparent I find I enjoy the warmer sound of the added 12 on the bottom.

I have the 8 for when I want small and easy, and can have the 12 for very little more effort if I feel like it.

So I say get the 8 and add a lightweight and small 12 cab if you find you want it. Best of both worlds. Actually better than either or, as the combination is very nice.

It's expensive, but the Quilter HD extension is very light and makes a really fine pair. And it makes an excellent amp stand! I'm playing Aviator BTW.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice.
    I don't have the budget to buy the amp + extension cab. And honestly I don't think I need such a combo.
    Saying that the 12 is better because warmer and more "amp sounding" than the 8 is the kind of comment I'm really interested in.
    I am leaning toward the 12 inch, slowly.
    I am really curious about these amps, they have a love & hate status that make me a bit nervous buying on line..
    I play in a fusion style, think modern sounding stuff like Scofield, Carlton, Stern, all these guys (I don't play a tenth of what they do, but that's what I like..), but often like to play more intimate things with a more traditionnal sound, l (should I say Wes, or earlier Benson...)
    I really like Julian Lage these days, this crossover between jazz, americana, country, blues rock..
    I think the Quilter Mach Pro 2 is a good candidate in the versality department, it's really what l'm looking for..
    And for the first time in 30 years playing, I don't want tubes!!!
    Wow, did I say that?

User Info Menu

FYI. Back in August of this year, i received an email from Pat Quilter about an inquery I had made. He said that they were no longer producing the Aviator line due to declining sales. The BlockDock series is what I was told they would be pushing going forward. So the only way to get an Aviator now will be the used route.

User Info Menu

Purchased a Mach 2 with a 12 inch Celestion 80 about a year ago. I cannot say enough good things about the amp.

At practice volumes at home it sounds amazing.

I have gigged in small rooms and on decent size stages outdoors and it sounded great in both cases.

I cannot imagine ever replacing it. I usually gig with a Sadowsky Jimmy Bruno and also have a Tele that I primarily use for practice. Both guitars sound great with it.

I tried the 8 inch version before buying the 12 and found I am attached to the sound of a 12 inch speaker. Not sure why but it just sounded better to me.

I think both are great options, I just liked the sound of the 12 better.

I also own a 101 Reverb with the Blockdock 10. Great little amp/speaker combo.

User Info Menu

Well what is possible for me to purchase in Europe is the Tone Block 201 and the matching cab celestion, but the price is the same as getting the combo, and much prefer the look of the combo
    The Mach pro also has a full eq section, not the tone block 201
    I've not seen the block Dock anywhere

User Info Menu

Oh sorry, I just found out the matching cab I was talking about is the Block Dock!
    I maintain, I don't really see the advantage getting the Tone block 201 (444€) and the Block Dock 12 " (450€) over the Mach Pro 2 12 combo (930€)
    The MP has more options with 2 channels, full Eq, a really better look, and more solid overall feeling just looking at it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bob P.
    FYI. Back in August of this year, i received an email from Pat Quilter about an inquery I had made. He said that they were no longer producing the Aviator line due to declining sales. The BlockDock series is what I was told they would be pushing going forward. So the only way to get an Aviator now will be the used route.
    Hey, I just checked the web site and sho'nuff, no Aviators. Bummer. Watch for used prices to jump. Actually, it looks like they're trying to fill that niche with the block docks. And they are pretty cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    Oh sorry, I just found out the matching cab I was talking about is the Block Dock!
    I maintain, I don't really see the advantage getting the Tone block 201 (444€) and the Block Dock 12 " (450€) over the Mach Pro 2 12 combo (930€)
    The MP has more options with 2 channels, full Eq, a really better look, and more solid overall feeling just looking at it
    Sounds like you keep trying to convince yourself for the MicroPro. I've had mine for a few years and still loving it. Go for it!

ps - see your PM from me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Hey, I just checked the web site and sho'nuff, no Aviators. Bummer. Watch for used prices to jump. Actually, it looks like they're trying to fill that niche with the block docks. And they are pretty cool.
    Reverb still has plenty of Aviators: "quilter aviator" Gear | Reverb

(I know that doesn't help in Europe, sorry )

User Info Menu

You will need to spend some time with the Micropro because it is not a plug and play amp. The amp is very versatile but that means dedicating the time to find what you want to hear. The longer I have my Micropro the more I like it.

When I first bought it I kept the Polytone Minibrute IV and the Music Man RD112 that were my go to amps. After about 3-4 months I ended up selling both of them because they were just not going to get played any longer.

Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Well that says something if you sold the Musicman RD112!
    That was my benchmark amp for a long time. I wanted to purchase one before changing my decision for a Quilter, because I find that used prices have gone really too high these days.. I almost got a Musicman RD110 50 in great condition for 500€ a year ago.
    Now they seem to go for at least 800€, and far from correct shape in most cases.

Yes every piece of advice is precious, thanks!

I've been searching on online german stores, and I maybe found a good compromise : the Quilter 101 Reverb matched with the Quilter Blocdock 10TC
    Maybe it's a good solution.?
    Not 8, not 12.. Why not 10!
    The Quilter 101 Reverb is *only* 50W.. I'm a bit worried if it can hold up in a busy band situation?
    The Quliter Blockdock 10TC cab is 295€.
    The Quilter 101 Reverb is 390€
    The MachPro 2 12 is 935€ in the same store
    Big difference in price, not sure if it worth going for the combo for the gap?
    And I really don't need 2 channels, I just want a really warm clean platform, and I'll be using a T Rex Moller for soft overdrive, and a Timmy for leads (if necessary, but I tend to play more and more with a "hot" clean)
    So maybe that 101 Reverb + Blockdock 10 TC would be a fine match?

User Info Menu

The Musicman was a great amp. I had that amp for a very long time and never thought I would sell it.

So as I said above I have both the Micropro with the 12 inch Celestion and the 101R with the Blockdock 10 cabinet. I just got back from a Friday night jam that I took the 101/Blockdock to.

The 101/Blockdock really nails the clean thing and it breaks up like a tube amp when you really push it. The 50 watt rating might be a bit conservative as it is very loud. While I have never gigged with it I have used it with a drummer and it holds it own. The amp is warm, clear and loud.

Do you have a chance to try both amps before you decide. I did not buy either Quilter over the internet. I will not buy guitars or amps without playing them. I tried both before I bought them at a local store. I would definitely spend the time to make sure you get the amp that is best for you!

User Info Menu

Is the 101R + Blockdock capable in jazz funk genre?
    Shall I say that George Benson jazz tone, with a really soulfoul touch (yes I know it's all in the hands and mind, but.. well.. ok)? What about a fusion crunchy lead with an OD and delay pedal + plus Es335 ? And a more traditional impersonation of Wes with a big jazzbox?
    I'm asking alot here, I know, and it's obvious the 101R + BDock 10 can't do it all to perfection.. But can they "in a sort of way" ?
    I can approach all these styles just with my little Gibson GA8T clone, because I know really well how to tweak things out with my guitars and effects ( I had a very long geek period with electronic music, analog synths and all that stuff, so I know pretty good what a knob is for :-), so if that combo has that good basic platform I'm all in it..

User Info Menu

If you think the 50w rating is not enough, and you need reverb, how about the Pro Block 200? Or if you're leaning toward a 10", how about the MP 10?

User Info Menu

The Mach Pro in 10 inch version isn't available here.
    And can the Pro Block 200 fit in the Block dock 10?
    I'm not sure.. I have to study the size of this head in the specs
    A bit hard to choose without trying these options, but they're nowhere available other than online..
    I did a rehearsal this morning with the little GA8T Gibson clone (all hand wired point to point by the way). Man this amp sound so gorgeous.. Unbelievable tones from this little box..
    Maybe I should contact the builder and ask him a custom version with the same circuit, 20W with 2 x 10 and l'll be in tone heaven for sure

User Info Menu

The 101R/Blockdock can handle all of the music genres you mention above.

The Blockdock itself is not rated at 200 watts and you could damage the speaker if you push it to hard with a 200 watt amp.

In my experience 50 watts is plently loud. The Musicman was rated at 50 watts and playing in outside venues I never turned it up all the way.

If you purchase the 101R/Blockdock you will not be dissapointed. Last night at the jam another guitar player showed up about an hour into the session. He is a friend of mine so I let him play through my amp. He was blow away at "size" of the sound coming out of a small amp and was amazed at the warmth of the 10 inch speaker.

Have you checked out the Quilter Facebook page? Lots of videos and discussion that should help your decision.

Quilter Guitar Amplifier Owners Group Public Group | Facebook

User Info Menu

Oh great info, thanks
    It seems that when Quilter rates 50w, they are real 50w RMS comparable to tube amps, and no 50 solid state Watts some brands announce.
    That's what I read on a forum somewhere anyway

User Info Menu

By the way you can email or call Quilter. They are famous for responding to all inquiries about thier products. I talked to them directly before I bought thier products and they were patient and very helpful. I would highly recommend it.

User Info Menu

I have the 8" with my MicroPro and I was surprised by how full sounding the 8" speaker is. I also have the 12" cabinet, going through both can be really loud.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, really helpful
    I have to decide myself between the 101R +Blockdoc 10 or the Mach Pro 12.
    Won't go for the Mach Pro 8 for sure.
    I have to verify if there is and xlr out for recording on the 101R (there's one on the Mach Pro 2).
    That might cell my decision