The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

In 2010, with a drive to Canada from Boston, I bought a gorgeous Gibson ES-175 Natural from forum member Miguel (anothersixstringer).

After playing it much over the years and periodically trading emails and soundclips with Miguel, in October of this year I bought a Tal Farlow (NGD'd here: 2009 Gibson Tal Farlow) and shared the news with him. After enthusiastically approving, he mentioned (as in "BTW") that he was the first owner of a 2013 Gibson L-5 CES he might be interested in selling.

Since Miguel is the kind of guy you can feel totally comfortable buying a guitar from without physically seeing it first, we agreed on a price and off to Canada again my wife and I went this past weekend to pick it up, along with a great dinner with Miguel, some gypsy jazz at The Rex, and seeing the sights of Toronto! Best of all, I really didn't need to inspect the guitar, and Miguel really didn't need to count the cash, such is trust.

Here are some pics of this beautiful guitar and our road trip....
    Attached Images Attached Images 2013 Gibson L-5 CES-img_0132-jpg 2013 Gibson L-5 CES-img_0130-jpg 2013 Gibson L-5 CES-img_0129-jpg 2013 Gibson L-5 CES-img_0128-jpg 2013 Gibson L-5 CES-img_0124-jpg 2013 Gibson L-5 CES-img_0123-jpg 2013 Gibson L-5 CES-img_0135-jpg 2013 Gibson L-5 CES-img_0139-jpg 2013 Gibson L-5 CES-img_0141-jpg 2013 Gibson L-5 CES-img_0120-jpg 
    Last edited by boatheelmusic; 12-04-2018 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Correction

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You did not buy that from me unless I have a multiple personality disorder that I am not aware of.

In addition, if I had that guitar, I probably would never consider selling her. What a beauty! Congrats.

User Info Menu

He didn't say "buy", he said "acquired". You may want to check your guitar cases to see if anything is missing!

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    You did not buy that from me unless I have a multiple personality disorder that I am not aware of.

In addition, if I had that guitar, I probably would never consider selling her. What a beauty! Congrats.

So sorry, I was tired and grabbed the wrong name! Fixed in post, and thanks!

User Info Menu

Wow! What a beautiful guitar! Enjoy it in good health - thanks for sharing!

User Info Menu

That's a beauty, LOVE the wide flame on the back!

User Info Menu

That is one beautiful Gibson L-5!

I just love the flamed back on that guitar.

Thank you for the gorgeous pictures!

User Info Menu

Let us know how often your Tal and 175 get played now.

That's a truly classic looking L-5CES. If its looks translate to its sound and feel, you can cruise into the sunset with it. Congrats.

User Info Menu

+1 RP. I have a feeling that the Tal and 175 are going to be gathering some dust.

That's a gorgeous L5-CES. Wowsers!

User Info Menu

An L-5CES in sunburst! Just gorgeous - Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

You'll never regret adding the L5ces to your harem. I just love mine, despite some cosmetic flaws that I totally forget about when I'm playing it. I find I get a nice range of tone according to where I actually pick, whether directly over the neck pickup, in the space between the pickups, etc. All guitars have this, but the L5ces seems especially sensitive to this.

2013 Gibson L-5 CES-l5-introduction-3-jpg

User Info Menu

Haven't seen your L-5 in a bit, Lawson. Sure is purdy.

User Info Menu

Top of the food chain....a real beauty. Congrats ! It will serve you well.

User Info Menu

She's a beauty. I'd be holding onto that one for a long time. ENJOY

User Info Menu

You have a beautiful guitar there sir.
    Theres nothing like having an L5. You stop looking at the classifieds because, well, what’s the sense..
    The L5 and the Vintage Sunburst color go together like Ferrari and Red. Jaguar and British Racing Green.
    You did good.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Joe D

Thanks Joe, it is indeed a blessing to have these wonderful guitars to inspire my playing and motivate my growth as a musician. Almost as much as watching and listening to you play!!
    I hope all is going well for you.

Bill

User Info Menu

As good as it gets! And it’s a burst to boot! Congratulations BHM!

User Info Menu

There are some jazz guitars I like as well as a sunburst L5CES, but none that I like better.

Er...there is one that I like better, but it's not a production guitar per se. I am a fan boy of Unity Guitars and the 100th Anniversary model, in particular. Allowing for that exception, there are none I like _better_ than the L5CES.