The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 46 of 46

User Info Menu

Hey guys, feeling the love about this guitar. Great conversation; Very informative. Rich

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Did some quick measurements, remember this is for the AS-100S steelstring model:

So the shafts are 6,4 mm, which means those old school bushings (looking like rivets) would fit. The shafts won’t go into the opposing holes, but the string-hole would be close to the edge indeed.

Maybe the best bet is to find the same tuners mechanisms of higher quality....

User Info Menu

Maybe the best bet is to find the same tuners mechanisms of higher quality....
    Nice one are there on StewMac.. I do nto know how good they are but look cool.

But in my case I will need to get additional bushings (12 pieces) and dlivery is too expensive

Golden Age Restoration Tuners for Slotted Peghead Guitar - Square-end | stewmac.com

Some Gotoh too

Gotoh Slot-Head Tuners

I made some measurements too... approx. the same as yours.

One of the next days I will get a set of used Grovers 102 that I can return if they do not fit well... and I will give it a try anyway.

Grover has a sharft of 10 mm diameer for 10 mm (which fits perfectly in my case but the nut stops at 13 mm... so I will have to add 3 mm gasket (I think there is 1 mm gasket in the tuner set though)
    It is long28 mm long.. so it goes through the slot....
    The strin hole is at 23 mm, so it is quite close to the other edge.
    I am afraid that from this point 3rd and 4th strings will go to the bridge at an angle that they will lie on the middle section of the head betwen slots. which is not good.

My idea that I put that gasket on the other outer side, so it will help both to feel the gap for a nut to fix it completely and to move a string hole a few mm more to the center of the slot.

Although... I do not know how it will look like and firm the hole construction will be as a result.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Hey guys, feeling the love about this guitar. Great conversation; Very informative. Rich
    Sorry for hijacking your thread, Wildcat!

User Info Menu

Hey,
    No I would not have it any other way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Sorry for hijacking your thread, Wildcat!

User Info Menu

John Stowell plays some custom Soloette by the way.. with funny bags on it.
    Actually I find Aria's frame to be much more convinient than more expnsive Soloette

(it does not look like jazz model)

User Info Menu

From what I read he replaced the stock EMG pickup with a Dimarizo pickup he likes and endorses. My thought is the material cover of the bars/frame is for aesthetic purposes to give an appearance of a typical guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    John Stowell plays some custom Soloette by the way.. with funny bags on it.
    Actually I find Aria's frame to be much more convinient than more expnsive Soloette

(it does not look like jazz model)

User Info Menu

The covers - or bags as you call them - do look a bit funny indeed!

His sound is great by the way! With my eyes closed I could swear I hear an expensive archtop.....

User Info Menu

Yes!
    IMHO This goes towards Jack Zuckers thread that the tone is in the hands and not so much in the guitar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    His sound is great by the way! With my eyes closed I could swear I hear an expensive archtop.....

User Info Menu

Well here is something... when you look close up pick it seems crazy but it looks quite ok in reality)))

First of all this is not the way for you if you have steel string Aria, you can just go for regular steel string tuners for slotheads just better quality...

In my case it is hybrid so the holes are 10mm in diameter. Besides it is too expensive for me to order high quality slothead tuners for steel strings and bushings for them.

What I did:

- I got almost new Grover 102 for about usd 30 (they were taken off some new guitar to upgrade for locking tuners)
    - I took off old ones
    - I filled in the old screw wholes with toothsticks on glues... you can see them - I will paint with something like marker I think... I have to check what my kids have)))
    - I made new holes for screw (ideally you should drill them but I did not have drill that small so I just used old screw and carefully made them all)

Two problems:
    1) the nut on Grovers goes for 13 mm max. and the wood is 10 mm.
    2) The string holes go too far and the angle to the bridge is not the best

The most optimal solution would be to take two wouden planks about 5 mm thick and adjust them on each side of the head. This will both enforce the head, let the nut be fixed easily and put the stringhole in normal position. All you have to do is drilling 10 mm holes in it.
    But these planks should look nice I believe, fit in colour, in size, being nicely finished.. for it is a bit too craze for such a mod. If I ever come across something that suits I will probably do it.

For the moment I just searched the house and found nothing suitable, so I went to the next hardware store with a tuner and after some questioning and trying I just picked plumbing gaskets. I have to use two pieces as they were not thick enough (if I come across some thick solid gasket that would fit it is easy to change - they cost like 2 cents)

It is not the best way as the material is soft, but I am sure it will be ok for quite a long while. Theyu are almost unnoticable among shiny bridge and tuners.

As for result, of course it tunes better and also I noticed that bass strings became much better in tune (and even in tone maybe... I think it is connected a bit with intonation and sustain that affected the tone quality for perception).

These tuners are bigger but I have no problem with it.
    The 3td 4th strings touch the middle section of the head which is not good but ok.

At this spoint I stop modification fever and just keep playing it... if I come across a good plank some day I will probably refix it when changing strings.
    Actually I have a sort of pleasure dong these things - so wehy not?

On week end I will record something...
    Attached Images Attached Images Aria Sinsonido Headless Steel String Travel Guitar-20181220_231825-jpg Aria Sinsonido Headless Steel String Travel Guitar-20181220_231813-jpg Aria Sinsonido Headless Steel String Travel Guitar-20181220_231759-jpg 

User Info Menu

Actually it looks pretty good!

This sort of thing is really satisfying and enjoying to do I think ;-) Must be the MOD-syndrome!

So on my to do list are a wood bridge (ebony or rosewood) and better tuners. Why? Because I can!

User Info Menu

Hey Jonah,

Meanwhile I upgraded my Sinsonido with tuners from the Boston-brand. Boston is still pretty low budget but the new tuners are sooo much better than the stock ones!

I would have preferred black knobs over whites but function over looks for this one

User Info Menu

Hello very interesting companions what you did with your aria. I have one but it is made of nylon and I really like its sound.
    I have a scape mark iii traveler and I plan to put a pickup. Would it be a good idea to put a singlecoil bridge on telecaster? What dou you recommend. Thanks for everything and very interesting posts best regards

User Info Menu

Aria Sinsonido Headless Steel String Travel Guitar-img_20190818_112746-jpgAria Sinsonido Headless Steel String Travel Guitar-img_20190818_112656_1-jpg

User Info Menu

Hi Loboscar, not sure if I understand your question: you want to put a telecaster bridge pickup on your travel guitar? And in what position? At the neck, at the spot in the pictures?

I don’t know, a Tele bridge pu has a large baseplate and requires a rather large route. In that position and judging from the pictures I would be worried about weakening the construction too much......
    Last edited by Little Jay; 09-24-2019 at 06:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Aria Sinsonido Headless Steel String Travel Guitar-img_1910-jpg

User Info Menu

Hello all, I got a bit inspired by this thread and went and picked up a used sinsonido on eBay. It's since been modded pretty heavily with a tuneomatic bridge [which only just fitted-my guitar tech friend managed to squeeze the posts in], two zexcoil mini humbuckers and a left hand conversion [check out where I had to put the pickup switch and the volume and tone controls! the input is where the volume control used to be.] I have another steel string sinsonido that I use to practice on [I live in an apartment and the neighbours don't take Kindly to late night gypsy jazz] and I pinched the 'lower bout' bit of the frame and drilled a hole on the opposite side of the body so I could access the higher frets. I put in some dot markers on the other side of the neck and it's worked out pretty well I think!

Aria Sinsonido Headless Steel String Travel Guitar-img_1912-jpg
    Aria Sinsonido Headless Steel String Travel Guitar-img_1911-jpg

User Info Menu

Beautiful job! I've been working on building a 7 string Frankenido inspired by the Sinsonido. They did sell one for awhile, but I have been unable to locate one for sale. I have it all laid out with a bolt-on headless neck of my own modification. I have a luthier friend in Salem and I'm waiting for him to settle his new shop before proceeding. Not that I need it, I just want it. I hardly travel anymore, and mostly play double bass with a quartet. I'd just like to see the project through.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by THD
    Hello all, I got a bit inspired by this thread and went and picked up a used sinsonido on eBay. It's since been modded pretty heavily with a tuneomatic bridge [which only just fitted-my guitar tech friend managed to squeeze the posts in], two zexcoil mini humbuckers and a left hand conversion [check out where I had to put the pickup switch and the volume and tone controls! the input is where the volume control used to be.] I have another steel string sinsonido that I use to practice on [I live in an apartment and the neighbours don't take Kindly to late night gypsy jazz] and I pinched the 'lower bout' bit of the frame and drilled a hole on the opposite side of the body so I could access the higher frets. I put in some dot markers on the other side of the neck and it's worked out pretty well I think!

Aria Sinsonido Headless Steel String Travel Guitar-img_1912-jpg
    Aria Sinsonido Headless Steel String Travel Guitar-img_1911-jpg
    This is really something!
    Fundamental job really,
    Mine looks like a toy now)))

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Loboscar
    Aria Sinsonido Headless Steel String Travel Guitar-img_20190818_112746-jpgAria Sinsonido Headless Steel String Travel Guitar-img_20190818_112656_1-jpg
    Traveler is nice lookeing guitar.
    The only thing that makes sense there for me is to put a small pick right as the neck.. but I am not sure if it is possible - how strong the wood is there

One of the advantages of Aria is its super comfortable frame..

If I had to choose frameless and headless guitar - I would probably go for used headless Steinberger or old Hohner and then upgrade it... there you have everything already there - and do not need to cut new slots etc. to change pickups.

User Info Menu

Well done! And welcome to the Sinsonido fan club!

I was in bed with the flu last week (Corona? Who knows.... it’s gone now) and was really happy with my Sinsonido as it is my only guitar I can play comfortably in bed (half sitting/half lying) ;-)

When it’s quiet in the house I play it unplugged and I am always impressed by how good it sounds acoustically! (Although not very loud of course.)