The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Is this a fake Gibson?-screenshot_20181121-194453_offerup-jpgIs this a fake Gibson?-screenshot_20181121-194445_offerup-jpg
    Is this a fake Gibson?-screenshot_20181121-194458_offerup-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes.

User Info Menu

I'm no expert. But to me it looks suspicious.
    - Headstock is too long - there's too much of it past the D and G tuners
    - The finish looks wrong - this is pretty subjective, but I don't recall ever seeing a sunburst like that on a Gibson
    - Tailpiece isn't the usual one on a Byrdland
    - The controls don't appear to be placed as I'd expect
    - I can't see it too well, but it looks like there's one extra position marker at the 21st fret
    - The cutaway isn't deep enough - on the Gibson page the cutaway goes to the 22nd fret, but here it seems to go to the 20th fret
    - Again subjective, but the neck pickup looks too close to the end of the fingerboard. You should be able to see the point at the end of the fingerboard.
    - Pink pickguard?

So there's my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it.

User Info Menu

Thanks. I knew $240 was waaaaayyyy to good to be true.

User Info Menu

Here’s an odd looking “Gibson”.

Gibson Super 400 1948-1952 Sunburst Gibson Super 400 1948-1952 Sunburst | Guitars | Reverb

User Info Menu

Holy Chibson, Batman!!

Yeah, that's as real as a $3 bill....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan

Gibson Super 400 1948-1952 Sunburst Gibson Super 400 1948-1952 Sunburst | Guitars | Reverb
    OMG. Mine eyes...ze googles. .zey do nothing....

That's horrible. Not. Even. Close.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Wow! That is one very cool guitar, that probably has a great story attached to it. Real Grandma Moses stuff.
    I may need to put an offer in on it, ha!

I already have a Super-Faux-Hunnerd. I believe it started out as a Jack Abbott guitar, built in the late 1930s, and was converted into a Gibsonish guitar @1980. Fantastic guitar:
    Attached Images Attached Images Is this a fake Gibson?-s-400-fake-front-jpg Is this a fake Gibson?-super-faux-hundered-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-22-2018 at 06:21 PM.

User Info Menu

"Starshine" makes that one, they're on Ebay all the time. Somebody went through a LOT of trouble on that head to turn a $350 git into a $240 git :-)

I've actually considered getting one.

Starshine Custom shop BYRDLAND JAZZ Electric Guitar Hollow Body Deluxe Serise 6651582085844 | eBay

User Info Menu

Anytime you see a guitar for sale and the ad contains fuzzy pics, it's a fake.

User Info Menu

Also, not many people own both a $10,000 guitar and the most inexpensive Epiphone solid body guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    "Starshine" makes that one, they're on Ebay all the time. Somebody went through a LOT of trouble on that head to turn a $350 git into a $240 git :-)

I've actually considered getting one.

Starshine Custom shop BYRDLAND JAZZ Electric Guitar Hollow Body Deluxe Serise 6651582085844 | eBay
    They started out on AliExpress I think. There's eleventy bajillion Chibsons on there. Some more obviously fake than others. One of the easy tells is the control knob layout. They rarely get them in the correct alignment. Some of the ES335 copies are laughable...it looks like they copied the controls for an SG....

Just buy an Epiphone...lol

User Info Menu

As Elaine Benes once said...fake, fake, fake.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Yes

User Info Menu

They do quite good Les Paul Chibsons now days. They seem to use the same Epiphone template that Epi got from their daddy Gibson.