The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

Been lusting after a tele for some time and trying to fogure out if a different (than standard tele) bridge pickup would work better. I guess I don't really want a humbucker and not quite sure if the p90 versions would sit well in a quieter jazz setting when needed. I should probably just stick with the standard one, but I still can't shake thoughts of p90.
    I must be mad.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

P90s planks are cool .. They just won't do the standard tele thing with a twangy piercing vibe. But I guess you're not going to miss that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    P90s planks are cool .. They just won't do the standard tele thing with a twangy piercing vibe. But I guess you're not going to miss that?
    Thanks!
    Not really. But I'm not entirely sure if that will take away from all that is good and telecastery.

User Info Menu

The thing about planks - Strats and Teles - is that they really lose their essence when you replace the standard pickups and bridges with other types. They become Strat and Tele body shapes when one does that. This is fine, even great, as the shapes are classic and can be blank slates for all kinds of projects. You have to decide if that's enough, or if you want the classic sound as well.

User Info Menu

I have two parts teles. One with standard single coils, one with 2 x P-90. I'm no pro, but do get to play some jazz tunes with friends. Either tele works perfectly for the fat sounds I prefer. But for me, it's neck p/u only, tone knob to taste. My preference is the P-90 tele.

It's all personal taste here. You have to find your own way, what sounds best and feels right to you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    Been lusting after a tele for some time and trying to fogure out if a different (than standard tele) bridge pickup would work better. I guess I don't really want a humbucker and not quite sure if the p90 versions would sit well in a quieter jazz setting when needed. I should probably just stick with the standard one, but I still can't shake thoughts of p90.
    I must be mad.
    Welcome to the Forum!
    What kind of jazz are you playing that you're concerned about the bridge pickup being "quieter?"

Either will do, both sound good, and you can use your volume knob to tame the bridge if needed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Welcome to the Forum!
    What kind of jazz are you playing that you're concerned about the bridge pickup being "quieter?"

Either will do, both sound good, and you can use your volume knob to tame the bridge if needed.
    Thanks very much for all of the input.
    Mainly just concerned about p90s being loud and uncontrollable if I have a duo with a vocalist or the other band members start complaining about the volume (little do they know of sheet music and guitar players).

User Info Menu

P-90's on a tele, to me, sort of like putting flatwounds on a Martin. Yes, you can do that. IMO defeating the guitar's design. Good Luck!

User Info Menu

Rather than a P90, check out G&L. They have a different take on pickups (MFD's) that are quieter and more powerful than standard Tele single coils. I really dig their tone in the bridge position of my ASAT Bluesboy.

User Info Menu

Telecasters are more than just the historical tele sound. In the right body and neck they're a joy to play.

I have a number of them, and the most different (a good thing) is the Fender JA-90. It's so unusual for a Fender with a set neck, thinline body, P90's and 4 controls it just crashes the sound mold into another zone. The Seymour Duncan pups are not noisy and blending the two pups in the center switch position adds more tone possibilities than a "real" tele can.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    Thanks very much for all of the input.
    Mainly just concerned about p90s being loud and uncontrollable if I have a duo with a vocalist or the other band members start complaining about the volume (little do they know of sheet music and guitar players).
    If you're asking about the output level of the pickup, it's no more uncontrollable than any other pickup. I assume your guitar and amp have volume and tone controls? The one thing that could potentially be an issue versus other pickup types is that P90s tend to pick up more hum/buzz/noise from bad wiring, dimmers, refrigerators, etc than Fender style single coil pickups or (obviously) humbuckers. I keep an Electro Harmonix Hum Debugger in my P90-equipped guitar's gig bag because in some rooms the guitar is borderline unusable without it.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Telecasters are more than just the historical tele sound.
    Yes. So many different musical flavors are possible with teles.

Specifically on P-90s: I had owned two Les Paul Specials. A simple plank with P-90s, which I love. In theory, an ideal guitar. So it mystified me to not bond with them. Didn't feel or sound right somehow. Before giving up on it, figured I'd try the tele format. A 2 x P-90 tele turns out to be ideal, at least for me. Maybe it's the note to note clarity of the longer scale, or the Spanish Cedar body. The why is less important than the fact that it works so well.

User Info Menu

you dont really have to make the decision between tele pups and p90's...many squier and mim standard teles (and strats) have pickups that are a combination design of classic tele pup and p90...rather than using magnetic polepieces like the classic tele/strat fender single coil...they use slugs and a bar magnet (or 2) below the bobbin....like a p90 has!!!..these pups also use 500k pots..not typical tele 250k pots...

if you want something a bit more upscale, quite a few boutique pup guys make them as well...mojotone, manilus, etc..t-90's

so your basically getting typical fender sized tele pickup..with tele sized bobbin...but with a p90 style slug/or screw and magnet design

cheers

ps- leos later G&l design mfd pickup works along those same lines... screws and bar magnet..but is not true tele sized...great pup
    Last edited by neatomic; 11-13-2018 at 05:53 PM.

User Info Menu

One of my tele's has a Harmonic Design Super 90 bridge pickup which is supposed to be in the P90-ball park, it is my favorite single coil tele bridge but as another poster suggested. . .I can't remember the last time I used the bridge pickup playing the kind of jazz I play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Rather than a P90, check out G&L. They have a different take on pickups (MFD's) that are quieter and more powerful than standard Tele single coils. I really dig their tone in the bridge position of my ASAT Bluesboy.
    A+. I love G&L. Just got their Custom Shop to make me a Legacy (Strat-style) and it's smokin! Their ASATs are phenomenal. And, in fact, the ASAT Special comes with p-90 style pickups. Also...made in Fullerton, just the way Leo liked.

Fullerton Deluxe ASAT(R) Special | G&L Musical Instruments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmpmcdermott
    A+. I love G&L. Just got their Custom Shop to make me a Legacy (Strat-style) and it's smokin! Their ASATs are phenomenal. And, in fact, the ASAT Special comes with p-90 style pickups. Also...made in Fullerton, just the way Leo liked.

Fullerton Deluxe ASAT(R) Special | G&L Musical Instruments
    My ASAT:

I only use the bridge pup as a last resort! If I'm not cutting through.
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecasters. P90 or standard?-sm_g4-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    My ASAT:

I only use the bridge pup as a last resort! If I'm not cutting through.
    Beautiful guitar!

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar!
    Thanks! MIA G&Ls can be custom-ordered. I wanted an ebony fretboard and a 1 3/4" nut. That's hard to get from Fender. (Although USACG and Warmoth etc... are happy to provide it.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Thanks! MIA G&Ls can be custom-ordered. I wanted an ebony fretboard and a 1 3/4" nut. That's hard to get from Fender. (Although USACG and Warmoth etc... are happy to provide it.)
    Sorry to derail the thread!!!

What you're saying is one of the reasons I love G&L. Though they've changed things up a bit these days. They have three levels now.

- Fullerton Standard/Deluxe - These are off-the-rack guitars that combine some of their most popular features.

- Option Order Guitars - Basically what G&L is known for. Extensive option sheet with colors, neck shapes (just the 5 C-shaped carves), 3 radius options, 3 fret options (including SS frets), 5 fingerboard options.

- Custom Shop (Opened January 2018) - Way more options, including non C-shaped necks, different pickups, woods, etc. Also, the CS guitars are build by just a few guys, not unlike the early days of the Fender Custom Shop.

For reference, here is my Legacy from the Custom Shop:

Telecasters. P90 or standard?-glfull-jpgTelecasters. P90 or standard?-glheadstockcslogo-jpgTelecasters. P90 or standard?-glneckflame-jpg
    Last edited by rmpmcdermott; 11-14-2018 at 01:10 PM. Reason: added photos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Just wanted to say- TV Jones T90s- with 500K pots- WILL.

But you'd have to buy a Cabronita routed for Filtetrons, OR get TV Jones humbucker-mount versions of the T-90s.

I have a thinline Cabronita loaded with T90s, and I LOVE them.

[because I like "warmer", I have mine with 250K pots, and my Cabronita has also been modded with a no-load tone control... it works for twangy tele stuff OR warmer jazzy stuff]

User Info Menu

tv jones is one of the best modern pup guys out there today...alongside seymour duncan, jason lollar and lindy fralin...the gretsch crowd knows and loves his work, but i think he's still relatively under the radar of most jazzers..a shame, cause he's meticulous craftsman and his pups are great!! ...and has huge & diverse line available in a variety of mounts

check him out!!

cheers

User Info Menu

I had a pair of Lollar ‘52s installed in my Road Worn Tele and I am very, very happy with the sound. First time I’ve been satisfied playing jazz on any Fender (or any guitar with single-coils). Big, fat, warm sound all across the strings. Beautiful overdriven tone on both pickups as well. Definitely worth checking out. I also highly recommend the Road Worn Tele, if you don’t mind the 7 1/4” radius. This guitar has settled the nitro vs. poly debate for me, as I can really hear the difference.
    Last edited by El Fundo; 11-14-2018 at 10:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Sorry to derail the thread!!!

What you're saying is one of the reasons I love G&L. Though they've changed things up a bit these days. They have three levels now.

- Fullerton Standard/Deluxe - These are off-the-rack guitars that combine some of their most popular features.

- Option Order Guitars - Basically what G&L is known for. Extensive option sheet with colors, neck shapes (just the 5 C-shaped carves), 3 radius options, 3 fret options (including SS frets), 5 fingerboard options.

- Custom Shop (Opened January 2018) - Way more options, including non C-shaped necks, different pickups, woods, etc. Also, the CS guitars are build by just a few guys, not unlike the early days of the Fender Custom Shop.

For reference, here is my Legacy from the Custom Shop:

Telecasters. P90 or standard?-glfull-jpgTelecasters. P90 or standard?-glneckflame-jpg
    Thread derail part II:

Sweet Legacy you've got there. And that flamey neck!!! Wow!

Here's my '96 S-500. Neck is plain maple, but super chunky.

User Info Menu

Reply #2. Just get a regular tele and learn to play it, before messing around with weird options. Iconic axe for good reason. Changing out pickups, parts galore, before you even get what the thing does, meh.

User Info Menu

A p90 in the neck position of a tele is great.

IMHO the bridge pickup of a tele is unique and I would leave it there, unless you just want a tele shaped guitar