The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    Flats are only on my carved top guitars. My solids, semi-solids and laminate top guitars all seem to sound best to me with round-wound.

Pretty much the same here

Although I do need to try flats on the old 175

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Bluedawg;911317...flats on the old 175[/QUOTE]

great example

cheers

User Info Menu

As others have said, flats have a different sound. I can go heavier with flats and lay that action low. They last a long time also.

I put on a set of Rotosound 12s. They seem pretty bright for flatwounds when amplified.

I'm rediscovering D'Addario Half Rounds and liking them. The same is true with GHS Brite Flats.

If history teaches me anything, I'll eventually favor round wounds again. Preference seems to cycle.

As I recall, Johnny Smith smoothed down his strings when he restrung with some sandpaper.

User Info Menu

It's just a more mellow, sort of sound. They don't have all the bright harmonic overtones of rounds - so they sound jazzy. Also they last forever but I get years out of any set of strings anyway.
    Last edited by wildschwein; 11-13-2018 at 05:50 PM.

User Info Menu

I love the sound of flats on the D, A, and E string on a Fender when playing a driving Wrecking Crew rhythm. Sounds like Billy Strange and Tommy Tedesco on "Kansas City."

I lover flats on a 175. Sounds like Ellis, Pass, Hall, etc.

I like nickel rounds on a carved 17" archtop. Beautiful.