The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

Hello,

I'm looking for my first arch top.
    I'm a rock player from about 25year, I have had many guitars but now I want an archtop cause from 2 years i'm entered in the jazz world.
    From some month I started to study jazz-guitar with a good teacher.

No important if new or used
    I really like gibson L5 but(for now) too much expensive.
    I was thinking about <1000$ with ebony fingerboard.

I've seen ibanez, there are some GB models or af155, or the new AF200 artstar.

Any suggest?
    I have good experience with solid body, but never tried an archtop

thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You are going to get many different opinions on this topic, and none are necessarily wrong as the “best” is a very personal preference and opinion. My opinion is that Ibanez, Epiphone, Eastman, and Guild are all great options. They are all usually easy to come by as well. Your preference may be different than mine or or others out here, so the best idea is to try as many different guitars as you can, and then select what you like best. Good luck!

User Info Menu

try an Ibanez lbg30 if you can

Nice (ebony) fingerboard ...

Just nice

User Info Menu

The usual advice, which I believe is valid, is to try as many guitars as you can, and buy the one you like the best, providing you an afford it. "The best guitar" is entirely subjective, and is different for everyone. Price and quality are not necessarily reliable indicators of each other.

User Info Menu

D'ANGELICO premier Exl-1 on thomann, 399€

User Info Menu

Epiphone Broadway?

User Info Menu

I second what snoskier63 and sgosnell said. Lay your hands on a few of those supposedly “cheap” archtops and you might find that they are in fact quite good.

If you like the electric version of the L5 (“Wes Montgomery”) you owe it to yourself to give a Broadway a spin as Christian suggests. I had one and they are nice – you just might want to upgrade the pickups at some point. But nice for that warm 60s jazz guitar tone.

If you want to try something different entirely, also try a few acoustic (or “almost acoustic”) archtops – just for the hell of it. An Eastman, or a Loar if they can be found in your area, or a Guild Savoy. Or the EXL-1 they mentioned.

Try a few and HAVE FUN in the process!

I know that I have to try the instruments, I have (and had) many solid body.
    Just was looking for your experiences.

D'ANGELICO premier Exl-1 and Epiphone broadway no... i want ebony fingerboard

User Info Menu

Godins seem fine. A bit more "retro" maybe (like the Loar perhaps) than others already mentioned, but they do the job fine. There are humbucker versions too if you don't want p90s. They're on reverb for under $600 all the time.
    Put a SH2 (or better) in the neck, a good set of strings on, and you're set.

User Info Menu

I had Epi Broadway from 2104 Unsung, Korea... it was very well built and it had surprisingly beautidul unplugged tone...it's laminated top all loaded with humbuckers and knobs but it sounded unplugged better than solid top archopts (soldi top is not always a guarantee of a tone)... anyway I sold because it was a bit strange I mostly played it unplugged.
    ANd I really did not need these two pickups.

I think if I come across Epi Regent with the same quality and floating humbucker I would have kept it probably.

I also borrowed for a while Guild Savoy it is a bit more expensive I think about 1000-1100 dollars, it has floating pickup and solid top - but this is exactly the case when solid top guiatr sounded quite pooer unplugged.

There is a bunch of different Peerless - some of them fit your cathegory - I do not know, some are better some worse.. depends on what you are looking for... I alwasys want to have impossible thath the archtop would combine nice acoustic tone with electric tone...

I also had Godin 5th ave originally acoustic with installed pickup. Those days I liked but today I would not buy any except the top one Composer model maybe.

Ibanez I tried were fine actually - I would go for one if they had decent one humbucker guitar in lower price range ...

I only do not like their heads... and Epis too, and Peerless... these huge pathetic heads like imitation of Louis XIV furniture.
    Gibsons have beautiful elegant heads really, and Godins too... not a big issue of course but still)

User Info Menu

Here is something to consider, The Bout size and the Thickness. If you have Been using mostly solid body Guitars the size of A large arch top might not feel comfortable a 15" Has a different feel than a 17" same for width

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by user404
    I know that I have to try the instruments, I have (and had) many solid body.
    Just was looking for your experiences.

D'ANGELICO premier Exl-1 and Epiphone broadway no... i want ebony fingerboard
    You are of course free to set any criteria you like and it's not for me to question them but I am curious about this categorical preference for ebony as fretboard material. To me, it's close to being the last item on the list, way below neck size and shape, top material, cutaway or no, pickups, scale, type of bridge, finish, fretboard radius...

User Info Menu

Hello,

I'm looking for my first arch top.
    I'm a rock player from about 25year, I have had many guitars but now I want an archtop cause from 2 years i'm entered in the jazz world.
    From some month I started to study jazz-guitar with a good teacher.

No important if new or used
    I really like gibson L5 but(for now) too much expensive.
    I was thinking about <1000$ with ebony fingerboard.

I've seen ibanez, there are some GB models or af155, or the new AF200 artstar.

Any suggest?
    I have good experience with solid body, but never tried an archtop

thanks
    Of your choices, I'd go for the new or used Ibanez AF200 Presitge. It is almost identical to the now discontinued GB200 (less Benson-esque cosmetics).

Good hunting.

User Info Menu

Here are some options on Reverb.com that I found with a simple search. All are $900 and under, but are not necessarily the lowest price for each respective model. I included guitars regardless of pickup type, and threw in an Eastman thinline as well because it is great for jazz, but is also very versatile.

Eastman AR405E
    Eastman AR405E | Paragon Music Center | Reverb

Eastman AR380CE John Pisano Signature Archtop Cherry
    Eastman AR380CE John Pisano Signature Archtop Cherry | Reverb

Eastman T486 Classic T486 Classic Archtop Semi-Hollow Body Guitar PRISTINE 2018
    Eastman T486 Classic T486 Classic Archtop Semi-Hollow Body | Reverb

D'Angelico Excel SS 2017 Black & Grey FMT
    D'Angelico Excel SS 2017 Black & Grey FMT | Sam's | Reverb

Custom Epi Archtop~Duncan '59 PAF~L5, L7~Make Offer!
    Custom Epi Archtop~Duncan '59 PAF~L5, L7~Make Offer! | Reverb

1995 Epiphone Emperor Regent Natural Blonde
    https://reverb.com/item/13292006-199...m_medium=share

Eastman AR372CE-Classic Archtop Hollowbody Jazz Guitar MINT
    https://reverb.com/item/13233596-eas...m_medium=share

Ibanez AF155AA Artstar Archtop Electric Guitar Antique Amber
    https://reverb.com/item/16773107-iba...m_medium=share

Ibanez AF-86 Archtop Gloss Violin Stain/ships in hardcase included
    https://reverb.com/item/4793226-iban...m_medium=share

Epiphone ETEPWRGH1 Joe Pass Emperor-II PRO Wine Red Gold Hardware
    https://reverb.com/item/14844902-epi...m_medium=share

User Info Menu

I would encourage you to not worry about fingerboard material, especially at the price point you're talking about.

Eastman makes great guitars for the price, but their necks are a little thick for me on some models. I wouldn't buy one without playing it first or having a return option set up. I've been impressed enough with Eastman that I'll probably buy one eventually, though.

I'm a big fan of D'Agnelico's Excel line; I own the new 2018 EXL-1, and the DC and SS models I've played had great necks. I've played the older EXL-1 models, and the 2018 ones have WAY better pickups, so that's something to keep in mind. I'd also recommend skipping the Premier series entirely -- they're a huge step below the Excel line imo. I'd rather have a used Excel series guitar than a new Premier series.

I've never bonded with any Ibanez or Epiphone guitar, but I probably haven't played the right ones. It's also worth noting I've only played Ibanez and Epiphones at Guitar Centers, and they have no idea how to set up a jazz box -- it's likely not the guitars' fault.

User Info Menu

You can't go wrong with Ibanez or Eastman. Epiphones are good, too.

If you buy a MIC Ibanez, make sure it has the the Super 58s (It'll come with the MIC version of S58s, but still pretty good). The newer version over 90 designated model number will have the MIC S58s (unless they've been changed out).

Full Hollows:
    AF95, AF105, AF125, AF155 (my fave AF model), and AF200 (MIJ model - not cheap!)
    AG95 - the newer model with the newer headstock logo. The older AF95 have ACH pups and can be frustrating.
    There are others, but these all will be reasonably priced and can be found on Reverb as well as local CL, Guitar Centers, etc.

My first hollowbody was an Ibanez AG85 I purchased on a whim at Guitar Center for $200 used. It was in perfect condition and still had the foam under the bridge. I replaced the ACH pups with Seymour Duncan Jazz and the difference was night and day - just blew me away. I thought, wow, if I spend a few more buck on a better model, I'll be in heaven. Five years later I still have fond memories of that AG85 w/ the SD pups. But I've moved on and now I have several Ibanez and an Epiphone ES-175 Premium w/ USA Gibson 57s, you can find this model (make sure it's the Premium!) on Reverb for about $750.

thanks to all !!!

maybe I need big body (16/17) but i'm not sure, I must to try many and many guitars...

my preferences goes to 30swing era..!

User Info Menu

thanks to all !!!

maybe I need big body (16/17) but i'm not sure, I must to try many and many guitars...

my preferences goes to 30swing era..!
    Because you like the 30ties swing era, what about a D hole manouche jazz / swing guitar, for rhythm and solo playing, instead of an archtop. There is a new Saga Gitane D 500 for under 1000 Euro at gypsyguitar.de.

Saga Gitane D-500 | Saga Gitane | Guitars | gypsyguitar.de

<a href="https://www.gypsyguitar.de/guitars/saga-gitane/11289/saga-gitane-d-500" target="_blank">

<a href="https://www.gypsyguitar.de/guitars/saga-gitane/11289/saga-gitane-d-500" target="_blank">

Last edited by Musgo Real; 11-30-2018 at 07:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Musgo Real
    Don’t do it kids

Seriously I have both types of guitar and I find the archtop has a very different voice. More dynamics to it but less overall volume. More focussed midrange.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Don’t do it kids

Seriously I have both types of guitar and I find the archtop has a very different voice. More dynamics to it but less overall volume. More focussed midrange.
    Isn´t the D hole guitar deeper, more midrange sounding than the oval hole model? I was told so.

User Info Menu

Isn´t the D hole guitar deeper, more midrange sounding than the oval hole model? I was told so.
    Yeah, but it still sounds quite different to an archtop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Yeah, but it still sounds quite different to an archtop.
    I associate these Selmer guitars like acoustic archtops with the early 30 - 40ties Swing - Jazz, not amplified bar and cafe dance music era, where bands needed guitars like 16, 17 or 18 inch acoustic archtops or these Selmer guitars (not only for jazz manouche music) to be as loud as the rest of the band. Sure the sound will be different, but it belongs to this time. He said his preference belongs to that swing era, the rest is just a matter of taste, what guitar sound he likes better. It was just a suggestion as alternative.
    Last edited by Musgo Real; 11-30-2018 at 10:33 AM.

User Info Menu

no one gunna tell him to get a tele? lol

User Info Menu

I associate these Selmer guitars like acoustic archtops with the early 30 - 40ties Swing - Jazz, not amplified bar and cafe dance music era, where bands needed guitars like 16, 17 or 18 inch acoustic archtops or these Selmer guitars (not only for jazz manouche music) to be as loud as the rest of the band. Sure the sound will be different, but it belongs to this time. He said his preference belongs to that swing era, the rest is just a matter of taste, what guitar sound he likes better. It was just a suggestion as alternative.
    Yes.

The history as I understand it is that Gibson etc archtops weren’t available in Europe very easily, so European players played Macaferris, NOT just ‘gypsy jazz’ but anyone working in a dance band etc. Of course we now associate the guitar with Django and Manouche style music.

(I kind have an personal issue with that. People have very specific expectations if you walk in with a Selmer guitar, it’s like wearing a t shirt with ‘I want to be Django’ on it.

I don’t want to be lumped into that ‘thing’ because my style is more eclectic and I’m more influenced by Us players of the era. I know actual really good gypsy jazz guitarists and I don’t play anything like them lol.)

In the US the archtop was dominant.

Tbh I’m losing track of what the OP wanted - was it a Charlie Christian vibe?

User Info Menu

Would be interesting to see if the OP is after an acoustic or electric sound...he said he liked the idea of an L5...but that could mean both, I suppose...

Then he mentioned some very much electric guitars (the Ibanezes) but THEN said after the sound of the 30's!

OP, what are you looking for?