The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Hi,

This may be a dumb question, but is it possible to mount the DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1000 (or 1100 for that matter) without a pickguard, floater style?

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You could easily have an arm fashioned from wood or even thin copper gauge copper tubing that would be mounted on the treble side of the neck. The D'Armond normally sits on the top and is held down by a tab. The "treble arm" could either hold the tab against the top or if your guitar is more modern and has the clearance, it could actually float free from the top.
    I'd done this with tubing and if I wanted to free the pickup from contact with the top, I'd use a piece of wood with a slot the tab fit into.
    David

User Info Menu

You could also mount it using the short bar on the bass side of the neck -- the normal way. And then take a small amount of Schertler adhesive pickup putty and put it on the bottom of the pickup on the treble side. This would keep it from flopping around, and the Schertler putty is gentle enough to not damage your finish. Of course, you'd still have the cables sticking out of the pickup to deal with and no pickguard to "stuff" it underneath. I guess you might be able to loop the cable(s) through the f-hole...

User Info Menu

I have a FHC that I mount on a Loar without a pickguard: monkey-on-a-stick clamp and rod, plus some bi-adhesive tape at the end of the fretboard. It works just fine. Except that on my other guitar, which has a very pronounced arch, it does not really work: it needs the pickguard to hold the tab down. I might try the putty…

User Info Menu

The Schertler putty is some great stuff! Expensive ($18) but you don't need to use much. I've had a tin last for years. I use it for many, many "guitar" projects needing something glued down without really gluing it down. The putty's original design is to hold a Schertler contact pickup to a guitar top.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    The Schertler putty is some great stuff! Expensive ($18) but you don't need to use much. I've had a tin last for years. I use it for many, many "guitar" projects needing something glued down without really gluing it down. The putty's original design is to hold a Schertler contact pickup to a guitar top.
    Is it REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY nitro-safe? I am very tempted…

User Info Menu

I've never had a problem with it. I've used it on Gypsy guitars old and new, French Polish finish, '28 Gibson L-4, '35 Gibson L-7, '30 Gibson L-30 -- all with old original finishes. I've even used it on a 1950's plastic Maccaferri with no issue.

However, I suspect others here may also have used the Schertler putty. If so, I hope they speak up. Especially, if they've had any problems.

User Info Menu

I could live with $18, but the additional $30 for shipping caused me to decide I don't need it that badly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    I've never had a problem with it. I've used it on Gypsy guitars old and new, French Polish finish, '28 Gibson L-4, '35 Gibson L-7, '30 Gibson L-30 -- all with old original finishes. I've even used it on a 1950's plastic Maccaferri with no issue.

However, I suspect others here may also have used the Schertler putty. If so, I hope they speak up. Especially, if they've had any problems.
    … well, I guess it can go on my humble Loar & Höfner ;D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radiofm74
    Is it REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY nitro-safe? I am very tempted…
    I use Scotch Clear Mounting Squares to attach things to guitar bodies. Pickguards, etc. They hold very well, and can be peeled off months even years later with no after-effects.

https://www.target.com/p/scotch-remo...t/-/A-13356394

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I could live with $18, but the additional $30 for shipping caused me to decide I don't need it that badly.
    Wow! 30 bucks for shipping -- that's ridiculous! I just checked at Djangobooks and they're offering the putty for $24 plus $6 for shipping. Still expensive. For what it's worth, you can use this putty over and over again. I've had pieces I've reused dozens of time and it's never lost their effectiveness. Eventually, the pieces get dirty and might affect overall efficiency, but they seems to still keep on sticking.

With that said, Woody's suggestion about Scotch Clean Mounting Squares might be a lot more economical answer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I use Scotch Clear Mounting Squares to attach things to guitar bodies. Pickguards, etc. They hold very well, and can be peeled off months even years later with no after-effects.

https://www.target.com/p/scotch-remo...t/-/A-13356394

ps - I used a few to attach the pickguard to this guitar.

Rhythm chief 1000 without a pickguard-ac375b-jpg

User Info Menu

I've ordered some Blu Tack. I think it's similar, and a lot cheaper. I've heard of people using it to attach pickups. I'm looking for something to possibly go under a Dearmond 1100 I'm thinking of installing on an inbound guitar. But I'm not willing to pay $40, nor even $30, just for something to go underneath a pickup.

User Info Menu

Sounds like a workable solution sgosnell. Good on you! Frankly, the only reason I used the Scherlter putty is 15 years ago when I ordered a Scherlter contact pickup for my Gypsy Jazz guitars, it came with the putty. I learned then how well it worked, and since it was reusable and didn't ever leave any sign of residue or damage, I felt it was a good product worth mentioning. I sure can understand your concern about the cost though.

User Info Menu

Ok, thanks for the suggestions! I think I’ll try the putty. Simple solutions usually work the best.

User Info Menu

Morski, since you're in Finland and the Schertler company is in Switzerland, you might want to check around for European sources to see if you can find the product for a better price (and postage). For that matter, you might find someone who plays Gypsy Jazz and has a Schertler pickup. They could give you enough for what you need. You only need a small bead (3mm) which you will squash down to a thin disk under the pickup to around 7 mm. I'd think that would do the trick. Do you know Olli Soikkeli? Nice guy. and he's Finnish. He may have some of the putty or know someone who does... You never know.

User Info Menu

So I’ve finally gone with putty. I live and work in Switzerland so I found the Schertler one for 15 Swiss franks, no shipping. It still costs quite a bit for the tiny amount it is, but it’s a price I pay happily to be sure that it won’t ruin the finish.

I first put it on my Loar, and checked the finish after a week. All good! So I’ve put it pn the Höfner – excellent, no more rattle!

In doing all this on and off, I’ve kind of determined that the floater takes away something from the acoustic sound … but the beauty of mounting it with putty and no pickguard is that it’s easy to install and uninstall…

Anyway: works like a charm!

Rhythm chief 1000 without a pickguard-img_6101-jpgRhythm chief 1000 without a pickguard-img_6100-jpg

User Info Menu

Looks good!

User Info Menu

With the putty, you shouldn't need the stick. You should be able to remove it and get it out of the way, but if you're more comfortable with it in place, it's not really important.

User Info Menu

With the putty, you shouldn't need the stick. You should be able to remove it and get it out of the way, but if you're more comfortable with it in place, it's not really important.
    There are two reasons why I still need the clamp and stick: it’s the only place where I can affix the control box, and without the stick my pickup tends to open up (… which is no good of course…).

User Info Menu

I didn't see a control box, so I wasn't thinking you had one. I suppose I could go back and reread the entire thread, but I have other priorities at the moment. Anyway, glad you got everything working.

User Info Menu

I didn't see a control box, so I wasn't thinking you had one. I suppose I could go back and reread the entire thread, but I have other priorities at the moment. Anyway, glad you got everything working.
    I remove the control box when I put her in the case, else I am afraid it would damage the top. Here she is ready to swing:

Rhythm chief 1000 without a pickguard-img_6099-jpg

But you’re perfectly right that for someone who does not need the clamp for any reason, putty is enough. Here’s Whit Smith giving the example

Rhythm chief 1000 without a pickguard-hot-club-cowtown-7462-edit-jpg