The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I just received the first half of my favorite jazz amp combination. I bought a used Raezer's Edge Stealth 12 ER. I am going to buy (got to save my gig money) a used Acoustic Image Clarus 2 series lll amp head to go with the RE enclosure. I tried out the RE Stealth with my Polytone Mini-Brute IV (ext speaker connection) and was very pleased with the result.

The first thing I noticed was an improvement in the mid-range and low range output. I think the notes from chords are clearer and maybe a bit more robust. I have always loved the tones and warmth I can get from my Polytone but I think the new combo will be even better than my Polytone.

Raezer's Edge Stealth 12 ER-raezers-edge-12-er-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very interesting. I think Mr. Beaumont was thinking of converting a Polytone into a head and driving his Redstone cabinet, which is similar to the RE.

I always think of the Mini Brute as being a very warm amp (for SS). You mentioned the RE is clearer, does that imply it's a little cooler (less warm)? I know these are vague terms, but I'm wondering... By the way, is your Polytone a 12" or a 15"?

Thanks,
    BDLH
    Last edited by BigDaddyLoveHandles; 11-20-2009 at 01:49 PM.

I use the AI Clarus 2R with RE 12ER and the sound is fantastic, very impresive. I've never played a Polytone, but the combination AI + ER seems unbeatable. Clear but warm sound, excellent definition in the notes of the chords. I think it's ideal for archtops and semiwollows. Besides opening the RE is perferct for acoustic guitars or with nylon strings. A perfect choice.

I think the combination is more versatile than a Polytone, keeping the warmth in the sound.
    Last edited by carlescountry; 11-21-2009 at 04:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your opinion, but if you've never played a Polytone, how can you compare them or say one is better?

User Info Menu

Big Daddy, My Polytone is a 15" circa 1978. It has never let me down but it is getting pretty old and I really needed a backup. A good friend (John Cotter) let me try out his AI/RE combo and , much to my surprise, I liked it better than my Polytone. As a result, I chose to buy the AI/RE combo for my backup. Also, the AI/RE combo gives me a good mic input and also an input for BIAB thru the effects section. This will allow me to leave the PA at home when my wife & I do a duo gig.

wiz

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Thanks for your opinion, but if you've never played a Polytone, how can you compare them or say one is better?
    I have not played but I've heard the Polytone many times. I'm not saying the AI+ER is better (maybe the fault is my bad english), but I think it's more versatile, among other things for what wizard3739 says
    Last edited by carlescountry; 11-21-2009 at 04:47 AM.

User Info Menu

I see what you mean. The old Polytones were one trick ponies (one sound) but I've been wanting to try the new Mini Brute V's. Two channels (bridgeable) and a tweeter. I think they're more adjustable than the classic Polytones of the 70s and 80s.

User Info Menu

Best sounding jazz cab I've ever tried - a Raezer's Edge NY Twin 8 lightweight.

User Info Menu

Did you ever compare your cab to any of their standard 2x8 cabs. They've had a blurb on their website for a while about their lightweight 2x8, but still no pictures, they even have a picture of their new 1x10, but not the lightweight.

User Info Menu

I played the twin 8 and the lightweight version side by side. I liked the lightweight better.

There's also still no news about the Nighthawk cab on their site. ER 10"...

User Info Menu

That's great you got to try them side-by-side, how would you characterize the difference between the two. What kind of guitar(s) were you using for your test (i.e. archtop, semi, solid, floating pickup etc).

I have a friend who has the Clarus with the 2x8 and it sounds amazing, very warm & smooth, and very even in tonal qualities esp when pushing the volume. It sounded great with my Campellone with a floating pickup. I've read the the LW 2x8 had a little brighter sound than the standard 2x8. I know from my experience speakers with neodymium magnets tend to be a little harsher.

User Info Menu

I was playing a Godin Summit CT solidbody. The lightweight cab had a better bloom to the sound. I thought the regular 2x8 sounded a bit boxy. YMMV.

I'd love to go back and try them with my new Aria FA-71. (big hollow body, floating p/u.)

User Info Menu

So I take it you didn't actually but one of the LW 2x8 cabs. If you ever get a chance to a/b them w/your big hollowbody, I'd like to know your impressions.

BTW, what kind of head were you using?

I have an Evans RE200, which I really love, but when I play my friends Clarus/RE2x8, I like it even better, I think it is less midrangy and is more even at higher volumes.

User Info Menu

I tried it out with a Clarus head.

I ended up buying a Traynor TC112 cab. It's an extended range, neo speaker bass cab which weighs 24 lbs, and sounds really good. I needed something I can use for guitar or bass.

It was also about half the price of the RE.

User Info Menu

I use the Acoustic Image Clarus 2 series III with either a Raezer's Edge Twin 8 (the original type, not the light weight), a RE NY8 or a Redstone audio RS-12 vented with dual cones (whatever that means).

I find the RE Twin 8 to be the "warmest" with a very round jazz tone. It is also very efficient at 4 ohms. The RS-12 is very nice also, typical of a 12 inch speaker for guitar. I sometimes use both the RS-12 & the RE NY8 together (the Claus amp allows this).

However, most often I use the Clarus and just the Single RE-NY8 cause the set-up is just so lightweight and convenient (the NY8 got its name from being small enough to fit on NY subways for the Mass Transit riding guitarist). It sounds just fine too.

I use these amp/speakers with an L-5CES, Johnny Smith and an ES-165. You know what? to my ears the ES-165 with its plywood construction and routed in pickup sounds best (I realise tone is subjective). Its more comfortable to play too.

Fritzjazz

User Info Menu

Just curious, if your 2x8 weighed the same as your NY8, do you think you would still use your NY8 much. I guess at that point the only issue would be a smaller size vs a (possibly) better sound. It looks like the new 2x8 LW is rated at the same weight as the NY8 (at least until they come out with a NY8 LW).

User Info Menu

Oh the RE Twin 8 definately sounds better, but the NY8 has a size advantage-I can carry a guitar, AI Clarus in its own gig bag and a RE NY8 all comfortably in 1 trip, nicely balanced weight with hands free to open door etc.

Anybody who is thinking of the RE cabs, try the Redstones too.

Fritzjazz