The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

announced today...40th anniversary edition of the paul!!..that's a lot of walnut

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Good little work horse guitars …

if you can get one for a decent deal

User Info Menu

That is a lot of walnut!

I've never seen a Les Paul like that before.

Nice!

User Info Menu

When you need a little more Les in your life...

Nice looking guitar. Should sustain FOR DAYS with the walnut. Should be heavy as heck as well.

I'm trying to think if any major artists played this back in the day? Can't think of any offhand.

Just one minor quibble is the black plastic access plate on the back. With a nice piece of wood like that they should use something that complements it. Brown would be better. Cream would look pretty cool as well.

User Info Menu

As an aside as a woodworker I have always loved working with walnut. It cuts nicely, sands super smooth and finishes well with almost any kind of finish. And it smells great--have to be careful not to breath too much of it in, especially while sanding, as it's pretty irritating, but it's probably my favorite sawdust smell.

Something I did a year or 2 ago, with maple keys...

Today's Gibson Les Paul Reissue-shelf-jpg

User Info Menu

At $1400 list, this actually seems like a good first sign from new management.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Speaking of weight, this one at The Music Zoo is rather unimposing at just 7 lbs 15 oz. Definitely a cool guitar.

Gibson 2019 The Paul 40th Anniversary Walnut Vintage Gloss | The Music Zoo

User Info Menu

that is pretty cool. and it seems like a pretty good price. but let's stop fucking around and get to the hollow bodies

User Info Menu

On a similar note, how about reissuing the 335-S too? Very cool, and usually available pretty cheaply.

Gibson Firebrand 335-S Standard Walnut 1980 | Reverb

Today's Gibson Les Paul Reissue-335-s-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    As an aside as a woodworker I have always loved working with walnut. It cuts nicely, sands super smooth and finishes well with almost any kind of finish. And it smells great--have to be careful not to breath too much of it in, especially while sanding, as it's pretty irritating, but it's probably my favorite sawdust smell.

Something I did a year or 2 ago, with maple keys...

Today's Gibson Les Paul Reissue-shelf-jpg
    Now, I'm just the opposite - I try to stay away from using it because, to me, it stinks to high heaven. Oh, well, to each his own. I like your 'dutchmen' in the shelf, though.

User Info Menu

The ads look like they stole McDonald's ideas on pic presentation. If I ever saw one as good looking in person as they show on their web site I'd buy one... a McDonald's hamburger that is, a new Gibson is no longer a blip on my radar.

Oh, vintage 70's "The Paul" models are available from about half price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    On a similar note, how about reissuing the 335-S too? Very cool, and usually available pretty cheaply.

ps - I almost bought one of these new, thought it was really neat, felt great, but when I tried it out my hand kept bumping the toggle when I went to adjust the volume, and vice-versa.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

I'm trying to think if any major artists played this back in the day? Can't think of any offhand.
    the great welsh journeyman dave edmunds...rockpile era

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound

I worked in a store in the early 80s that had one of these new and I really liked it .. a nice little bang for the buck guitar in its day

That was my favorite model out of this line of Gibson guitars. A very nice guitar for the money.

Looks like they did reissue it, but I can't tell what year they did it

Gibson.com: Gibson 335-S

The one in my store was stolen out of the front window late one night. Local hot-rodders used to hang out in the strip mall parking lot there. They heard the alarm, spotted the thieves and gave chase. The thieves dropped the 335S and it was run over by one of the chasing cars. IIRC the neck survived, but not much else.

User Info Menu

An erstwhile colleague had an original "The Paul" back in the day. Sounded mighty fine, and weighed substantially less than my '69 LP Custom. I wouldn't mind giving one of the re-issues a nice extended workout....

User Info Menu

Why does Gibson sell guitars with no pickguard? Is this the preferred look to a pickguard?
    Today's Gibson Les Paul Reissue-bigwhite-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    the great welsh journeyman dave edmunds...rockpile era

cheers
    There's an endorsement if ever there was one!

Though I think he's more closely associated with Teles and 335's. He could make a wood post sound good.

User Info Menu

Surely you can buy an original "The Paul" for the same price or even less than this reissue?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    Surely you can buy an original "The Paul" for the same price or even less than this reissue?

But then again you can buy a used [insert model] for around half price of a new [insert model]. That still hasn't stopped people from going into stores to buy new guitars