The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 314

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson
    One of my favorite albums! "Dedicated to all the guitar players in the world" -- if I recall right.

FYI: I saw Eddy Hazel with P-Funk during their mid-70s Mothership Connection Earth tour. Everyone was there -- George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, "Mudbone" Cooper, Jerome Brailey, Bernie Worell, Gary Shider, and (another great funk guitarist) Michael Hampton. Even the great Maceo Parker!

Some will say, ain't got much to do with jazz -- but me? I say, thanks for the trip down the funk road! "Get the funk outta my face!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Speaking of venturing into jazz, check this out. As a bonus some might find a new appreciation for trad jazz. Eric's done well here!

User Info Menu

guitar solo starts at 3:05 for anyone who is curious, but doesn’t want to cringe to death before it starts

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    guitar solo starts at 3:05 for anyone who is curious, but doesn’t want to cringe to death before it starts
    You hate jazz?

User Info Menu

I gotta agree with Jack Zucker. Miles wanted Jimi Hendrix in his band. Good enough for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I gotta agree with Jack Zucker. Miles wanted Jimi Hendrix in his band. Good enough for me.
    Good enough for me too.

User Info Menu

You're absolutely certain that Miles was only thinking in musical esthetics and not in terms of a money grab?

User Info Menu

I played a lot of extended freak out, balls to the wall blues jams as a teen in the 70s. I don't have anything from that period, but, in a fit of nostalgia some 15-20 years ago, I recorded the "Blues-Rock solo" on the below page. Nothing on there related to what I'm trying to do now, but just so you know I'm not talking out the wazoo.

Peter L. Clifton Songs | ReverbNation
    Last edited by Peter C; 11-12-2018 at 06:45 PM.

User Info Menu

And Jimi was a big fan of Rahsaan Roland Kirk.

Hendrix reportedly watched Kirk play at Ronnie Scott's Club on March 8, 1969 and then joined him in a jam session the next night. Kirk then allegedly went to Hendrix' flat on Brook Street.

Not bad for a guy who didn't understand jazz.

I think the point missed about Hendrix is that he wasn't so much a rock guitarist as he was an avant garde or abstract artist. Rather than paints and brushes, his medium was music. Leave it to others to label what kind of music it was.

User Info Menu

Before "going abstract", Henri Matisse learned to paint still lifes and landscapes, then studied impressionism, Turner and the like. He understood his medium in a way I wish Hendrix had been able to grasp his, instead of piling on effects and such. The jazz guys who were drawn to him? Why not, lots of others were.

That's my take, and I absolutely love some of his stuff: Wind Cries Mary, All Along The Watchtower ....

User Info Menu

Hendrix mostly appeal to those jazz fans who like their jazz rooted in American Black R&B, Gospel, Blues etc. If you are into more conservative sounds and playing of the 50's, like Johnny Smith, Herb Ellis, Tal Farlow, guys like that, then maybe not. Hendrix had very little to do with jazz of that kind, but can see a lot of common ground with players like George Benson. At their core, their were coming from the same school.

Again, two words- Chitlin Circuit. That's where Hendrix foundation was formed. You can spice up the groove any way you want, it's still American Black R&B school.

My biggest grief with Hendrix is he set millions of guitarists on the path of endless noodling and pyrotechnic playing as a default for rock guitar. 99% have no understanding of rhythm as a driving force.

User Info Menu

My opinion is as follows:
    In terms of sheer impact on guitar focused contemporary music, greatness can be described as follows:

Before Hendrix and After Hendrix

The same may be said about Charlie Christian, but he wasn't included by the OP.

User Info Menu

Fair do's Hep, but on which side of that dichotomy would you place Coltrane?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Me thinketh, the same side of track as Hendrix. (But that's just me...)

In the early 60s, they booed at Coltrane in France during his tour with Miles Davis. Downbeat called Coltrane and Eric Dolphy's music "anti-jazz". Free jazz or avant garde jazz wasn't well respected for many years and even today is not much referred to when talking about jazz. I think it was just too much for many listeners. Much in the same way many rock fans didn't get Hendrix in his lifetime. They'd rather listen to the more predictable "geniuses" of Zeppelin or Cream. They could relate to that. Hendrix? Man, he was too far gone!

By the way Peter. I respect where you're coming from. In some genres of music I prefer the classic sounds -- for example Gypsy Jazz. Give me Django or give me Fapy. I don't appreciate much of the new players mixing modern jazz and virtuosity-for-virtuosity's sake in GJ. I'm probably missing out on something but that's just the way I am.

Odds are if we picked 10 random "jazz" LPs, there'd be three you'd hate, three I'd hate, and four that we could both groove on. So play on brother!

User Info Menu

Without slavery, black gospel and later blues , there is no "jazz." Jazz, both the music and the word, have been co-opted for decades. That's understood, right?

And Hendrix barely lived 28 years. Had he lived to be a senior, like those others mentioned here, who knows what direction Hendrix may have taken his music. It's an apples and oranges comparison,imo. Jimi Hendrix burial place, local to me, has a memorial that is a fitting tribute to his legacy. It's a shame so many jazz greats don't experience such a tribute.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I think archtopeddy said it.

I think spiritually Coltrane and Hendrix are very very close. Musically later Coltrane had more vamp-like tunes for improvisation, something that Hendrix could do as well.

Other than that... didn't follow Coltrane's career very close, so not sure if he was involved with swing and dance bands early on, or played in Church.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    You're absolutely certain that Miles was only thinking in musical esthetics and not in terms of a money grab?
    Who knows?

User Info Menu

In the Troup bio, Miles talked about seeing Sly Stone and wanting to incorporate more popular elements into his music. Hence electronics, funk, Bitches Brew (how mysogynistic does that seem now!).
    Last edited by Bach5G; 11-13-2018 at 01:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    Bitches Brew (how mysogynistic does that seem now!).
    Yes...one can only shudder at the thought of the sleepless nights Miles would have had if he were alive today, worrying about the impression that title gave.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    If you haven't heard the Band of Gypsies,
    give the whole thing a listen and let me know what you think...
    My #1 favorite Hendrix album. I wore out 2 vinyl copies of this album. The solo on Machine Gun is my absolute favorite .

User Info Menu

Yeah, generally I think Hendrix''s studio albums are fun, but kinda dated sounding...his live recordings are jaw dropping, fresh, vital, awesome.

Imagine what Jimi would have sounded like on Miles' Dark Magus...my God...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Imagine what Jimi would have sounded like on Miles' Dark Magus...my God...
    ... Or Agharta. Though Pete Cosey is nothing to sneeze at either!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by va3ux
    My #1 favorite Hendrix album. I wore out 2 vinyl copies of this album. The solo on Machine Gun is my absolute favorite .
    From my group "Modern Jazz Guitar" on facebook (regarding Machine Gun):

Good enough for me.

Eric Clapton vs. Jimmy Page vs. Jeff Beck vs. Jimi Hendrix-adam-rogers-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Yeah, generally I think Hendrix''s studio albums are fun, but kinda dated sounding...his live recordings are jaw dropping, fresh, vital, awesome.
    I think most of his studio albums stand up just fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I think archtopeddy said it.

I think spiritually Coltrane and Hendrix are very very close. Musically later Coltrane had more vamp-like tunes for improvisation, something that Hendrix could do as well.

Other than that... didn't follow Coltrane's career very close, so not sure if he was involved with swing and dance bands early on, or played in Church.
    There's a great video on the life of Trane. It's just short of 3 hours long, and very informative.

Check out 'Chasing Trane'

Amazon.com: Chasing Trane: The John Coltrane Documentary [Blu-ray]: John Coltrane, John Scheinfeld: Movies & TV