Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

This :

Sadowsky SS-15 (2011)

is def. a good opportunity ....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

After careful consideration of my options, I'm going to go for the GB10. It tics all the boxes conceptually for me. Thanks for helping with other options, there are some AMAZING ones for sure! The SS15 in the classifieds for sale is likely the more "intelligent" choice but it just does not invoke the emotional excitement of the GB10. Maybe down the road as my tastes "mature" something like that will grab me more, but the GB10 is the right fork in the road to take at this point.

I'll post some pics when it arrives! Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I agree with Cunamara. Get a GB-10 from the first four or five years of production, if you can locate one. The late-70s/early-80s examples I have played have been mouth watering.
    So what happened in the mid-80s that changed that? There's a GB10 in my area that I intend to check out this week.

User Info Menu

There's really nothing that happened. The top-line GB-10 guitars were all made at the Terada factory (good) and received H serial numbers to indicate Hoshino Guitars (Ibanez). These are _very_ well made Japanese guitars. They are laminated body construction to resist feedback. They have great necks/fingerboards/tuners/bridges/tailpieces. They feature excellent floating humbucking pickups.

These guitars sound and play just exceptionally well. They do tend to outgas their pickguards, which affects the body binding over time. You will want to watch for this on a vintage example.

That said, I have just tended to prefer the sound and feel of the late-70s examples I've played over the later ones, and the early-80s examples next. Would I turn down a 90s example? No.

User Info Menu

Well, that did not work. I received a GB10 today and it had a high fret. I could tell in 5 minutes that it is not for me. Back to the drawing board....

User Info Menu

It's important to remember that Benson uses .14-.55 gauge strings. These will get a fat, jazzy sound out of a GB10.

User Info Menu

Ken,

Check out the B & G Little Sister - Crossroads. It's a small body f-hole design with a solid maple top, though not arched. It's an extremely versatile instrument! Very easy to dial up a nice jazz tone. You can order with P-90 single coil style pickups or with humbuckers; and with or without a cutaway. The noncut has a slightly deeper body. I purchased one about 6 months ago and haven't put it down since I got it. (It helps that it's a very light instrument.)

They build a handmade version and a production version (the Crossroads) built in China. The Crossroads is $1,450. Mine is flawless. The handmade version is $3K+ depending on options! and is built in Israel.

There are lots of reviews online. Check it out.

I've had a GB 10 and played Sadowsky archtops. But, I rate the Crossroads as a much nicer all-around instrument.

Albert
    Last edited by AKA; 10-22-2018 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Correct typo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Olmstead
    Well, that did not work. I received a GB10 today and it had a high fret. I could tell in 5 minutes that it is not for me. Back to the drawing board....
    Because of the high fret? Or?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Because of the high fret? Or?
    High fret was definitely a deal breaker. But I just don't think the guitar is for me, heavier guage strings would have helped but going from 11s to 12s would not have done it. Definately not going to 14s! YIKES!! I am beginning to wonder if I am trying to hard to find an archtop. Major PIA!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Olmstead
    High fret was definitely a deal breaker. But I just don't think the guitar is for me, heavier guage strings would have helped but going from 11s to 12s would not have done it. Definately not going to 14s! YIKES!! I am beginning to wonder if I am trying to hard to find an archtop. Major PIA!!
    While it can be a major pain finding the right guitar for your needs, try to keep an open mind. Having your mind set on one guitar can lead to unnecessary frustration, as you've found.

Have fun with your archtop search. The right one is waiting for you to find it.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I’d love to try a GB10. If I put a deposit down, I’ll get one by March. The pick guard issue bothers me. I borrowed a friends LGB30 and found that pick guard too close to the E string. I used another friend’s gorgeous sounding Eastman 371 and had to take the pick guard off to play it. Maybe I should stop looking at the GB10 and start again.