The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Anyone tried one of these? I checked one out at the local SA store a couple weeks ago and liked it a lot. I didn't pull the trigger because it had a couple spots I didn't like in the neck - one (small) spot looked like it had been filled with wood putty before sanding and the other was some weird 'twisty' grain. Not sure if anyone else would have noticed it but I'm pretty picky about stuff like that. Overall a real nice guitar - SA is doing a 48 month thing right now so may order one and see if it's better - I can always return it locally. Haven't really checked out the PU specs but it sounded fine and the carve on the 50s neck suits me just fine. Transparent white with white pick guard and maple FB - looked real 'Frisell-ish'.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes. I think that they are very good guitars. Having owned a '57 Esquire in college, I have a good idea what a 50s Fender should play/sound like. My '52 reissue was great sounding but heavy, and the neck was too thin. The 50s MIM Telecaster is a better guitar, IMO.

User Info Menu

Green, I'm loving my '50 Baja's tele - is that yours?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    Anyone tried one of these? I checked one out at the local SA store a couple weeks ago and liked it a lot. I didn't pull the trigger because it had a couple spots I didn't like in the neck - one (small) spot looked like it had been filled with wood putty before sanding and the other was some weird 'twisty' grain. Not sure if anyone else would have noticed it but I'm pretty picky about stuff like that. Overall a real nice guitar - SA is doing a 48 month thing right now so may order one and see if it's better - I can always return it locally. Haven't really checked out the PU specs but it sounded fine and the carve on the 50s neck suits me just fine. Transparent white with white pick guard and maple FB - looked real 'Frisell-ish'.
    If you mean the 50s Classic, they have a very good rep. There is also a lacquer version for a little bit more. I let one used slip through my fingers. (Not that I need another tele!).

Another option is to look for an American Vintage Reissue 52. The 1998-11 was very nice with increasing neck size. My own 2011 is very close to the newer 2012- series but prices on the market tend to be markedly lower.

These are blackguards though, as are the American original 50s, the newer (but discontinued) AV 52, or the Baja 50s. If you like the “whiteguard” look it’s either a Classic 50s (poly or lacquer), or a used or NOS American Vintage 58. Or an old series Road Worn. OR a partscaster

User Info Menu

I tried the Baja - couldn't stand the neck and I had no use for the weird switching system. This Classic 50s is the best thing I've found that I would't have to rebuild. Tried a FSR at GC with backwards control plate - it was OK but thick finish and I would have to route out out the cavity to turn the plate around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    I tried the Baja - couldn't stand the neck and I had no use for the weird switching system. This Classic 50s is the best thing I've found that I would't have to rebuild. Tried a FSR at GC with backwards control plate - it was OK but thick finish and I would have to route out out the cavity to turn the plate around.
    Then I’d say you’re all set to get a Classic 50s. Find a nice used one if you can. Teles are tough as nails so they don’t fear use! I would again recommend trying a used 98-11 AV 52 if you see one around. The price/quality ratio can be very good on those. Necks are less large than on the latest series, while still being nice and full, and the pickups are fantastic (Fender Original Vintage – they are also sold separately). Prices can be close to those of a new Classic 50s. But again, if your heart is set on a Classic 50s, find one you like and go for it!

User Info Menu

My two cents: there is a version of the classic 50s with nitro lacquer rather than poly. It costs only $100 more. Get that one instead of kicking yourself later like I did.

User Info Menu

So Skip, you prefer the 7.25" radius for jazz then?

Thanks,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic
    So Skip, you prefer the 7.25" radius for jazz then?

Thanks,
    Pretty much a non issue for me. I know some folks are concerned about that sort of thing but not me - I just pick 'em up and play 'em. OTOH, thickness wise, the Baja is thicker than I like - I could play it, but it wouldn't be the most comfortable and I'm starting to get some cramping in my left thumb after a gig (tonight!) so I'm going to have to start paying more attention. The Classic 50's neck was real comfortable for me.

User Info Menu

I just went to the Sam Ash site. I wasn't aware of this white guard version looks cool. As said there are many prior versions Made in Mexico Classic 50s black guard, and Classic 60s with RW board. Both well regarded in Tele circles. And the US versions.. AVRI (several versions up to 2011) I have a 2007 that I love enough that I sold my CS Nocaster. Both were bought used. I actually made a profit on the Nocaster. In 2012 the Pure Vintage aka American Vintage model came out with a thinner finish and fatter neck also well regarded. So many Teles it gets confusing. I like that new 50s white guard. I played a mim Esquire once it was nice and I swear the neck carve was exactly like my 2007 AVRI 52 ..moderately chunky. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic
    Green, I'm loving my '50 Baja's tele - is that yours?
    My current Tele is a parts-caster that I made from a neck and body that I acquired from Hammertone. They made a really nice guitar.
    50s Fender Telecaster Reissue-nsp-jpg
    However, I have enjoyed the several 50s Baja Telecasters I have played. I think the necks/weight/etc. are great for what you pay.

Here's the neck width on my parts guitar, by the way.
    50s Fender Telecaster Reissue-img_5231-jpg

User Info Menu

thing with fenders is they vary so much from guitar to guitar..you really have to play them to find whats best for you...i remember trying two seemingly identical 52 reissues, and they were completely different..in weight, setup, feel and tone...take your time and play as many as you can

there are great ones out there right out of the box

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    My current Tele is a parts-caster that I made from a neck and body that I acquired from Hammertone. They made a really nice guitar.
    50s Fender Telecaster Reissue-nsp-jpg
    However, I have enjoyed the several 50s Baja Telecasters I have played. I think the necks/weight/etc. are great for what you pay.

Is it the photo or is that a big old fat neck? Reminds me of my CS Nocaster which was about 1" at the 1st fret.

Good deals out there on partscasters too. Buy one from someone who put big bucks into one at a good discount. Assuming it's a good one.

Looking at that white guard reminds me of my 73 Tele (hence my id). The first forum I joined was the Tele/TDPRI forum, I spent about 20 seconds thinking of an id and my Tele came to mind.

Another great thing about Teles is that you don't have to spend a ton, often cheap ones are just as good as the expensive ones. Not to mention the simplicity, durability, multitude of variations and choices etc etc.

User Info Menu

It's a big, fat neck. 1" @ the first fret.

User Info Menu

Hubba, hubba! I wish Fender made more necks like that with rosewood boards.

User Info Menu

Yes. The guitar world needs a nitro finished rosewood slab board neck that has no-caster dimensions. I would be all over that.

User Info Menu

It's a big, fat neck. 1" @ the first fret.
    Damn, that's a huge baseball neck on your Tele!!

And I thought my Richie Kotzen Tele neck was thick. It's just a hair under an inch from the nut to where it meets the body...and I love it!

Richie Kotzen Telecaster(R) | Electric Guitars

User Info Menu

About 20 years ago, I gigged for a few weeks with a Telecaster that belonged to my buddy. It had a neck sold by dentist, Dr. Elliot Mechanic of Canada--that I later learned was made for Mechanic by Brian Monty, also of Canada. It also featured a neck that was an inch thick--all the way up.

I was ruined for other Fender necks, from that point forward. Mechanic was selling necks that essentially featured the earliest carve from 1950 from Fullerton. With the 7.25" radius, the Mechanicland neck felt like an effortless-to-play guitar, to me.

Hammertone, also a Canadian, has had plenty of Monty-necked guitars through the years--when he isn't stocking up on more Hofners, that is. I asked him about what he had, and the next thing he was shipping me a huge (though not Monty) Telecaster neck and a really nice, spalted maple body. I think the radius on this neck is closer to 10", but that's okay. My archtops have big, fat necks with 12" radius boards, so this makes switching from the Tele to the archtops easy. (My Strat also has a "boat" neck that is one inch at the first fret.)

User Info Menu

Yes. The guitar world needs a nitro finished rosewood slab board neck that has no-caster dimensions. I would be all over that.
    I agree. I have always loved the look of the double bound body RW board Teles like the 62 Reissue. I even tried one once but the neck was very very thin. I can usually adjust but it was not possible for me and I returned it. Not too long ago a Double bound CS 62 Tele popped up on my craigslist and it was ordered with a RW board neck that was fat like Nocaster so 1" or so at the first fret. It was all I could do to resist it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 73Fender
    I agree. I have always loved the look of the double bound body RW board Teles like the 62 Reissue. I even tried one once but the neck was very very thin. I can usually adjust but it was not possible for me and I returned it. Not too long ago a Double bound CS 62 Tele popped up on my craigslist and it was ordered with a RW board neck that was fat like Nocaster so 1" or so at the first fret. It was all I could do to resist it.
    Well, an American Original 60s might also float your boat. I have not tried one of these but if the neck is like the one they’ve put on the AO 60s strat it’s very substantial. You’d have to live with a 9’5” radius tho.

User Info Menu

I know this thread is about Fender Teles, but must say I have a lefty Mary Kay color Nash 52 Tele-style guitar and I love it! It too has a 1 inch boat neck and Lollar pickups. I had a 1980's Fender butterscotch 52 reissue, and while it was a fine guitar, after I got the Nash there was no need to keep it. I just bonded better with the Nash and now it is my main solid-body electric guitar.

User Info Menu

The Nash Boat Necks are awesome guitars.