The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I'm right there with you, as a skeptic. Since we are talking about instruments owned by people who want to play them, it's very unlikely that a player will give up their instrument for an experiment of this sort, and it's very unlikely that a lab will fund research into something like this. Moreover, to actually demonstrate any statistically significant results, the experiment would have to be conducted on a large enough sample of distinct guitars. The more degrees of freedom and confounding factors (which there inherently are in this type of experiment), the larger that sample would need to be. If anyone should have an incentive to fund the research, it would be companies like ToneRite. However, ToneRite has yet to publish the results of a scientific study. Anecdotal evidence is sufficient to convince customers.

That doesn't mean I don't believe it. I just know I don't have the evidence to back it up. I have heard master luthiers describe the process of opening up through playing, I have heard very well-educated shop owners that use tonerite on new guitars and vintage guitars that have "gone to sleep". These shop owners report noticeable improvement, though I have not been there to evaluate.

I want to believe, and therefore I kind of believe. It's like Catholicism for me. After reading this thread last night, I stuck a Tonerite on my 35 Epiphone Broadway and made the sign of the cross. Ave Maria, gratia plena...
    Gornisht helfn. Oy, have you got the wrong vampire.

John

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My experiences are, of course, anecdotal, but I used to be a skeptic as well. I have definitely changed my mind. I feel confident assuring you that it’s not wishful thinking or observational bias. The Emperor that I described is clearly the most striking example that I’ve experience, but I have heard it with other guitars to a lesser degree. Perhaps the large surface area of a big archtop like this and the extended period without playing time lent this one to such marked changes in tone.

I am not exaggerating when I say this Emperor went from being one of the weakest sounding archtops I’ve played, to one of the most outstanding in the space of about one month. When I started playing it, my 1953 ES-175 had more volume and a more full tone as an acoustic than the ‘46 Emperor.

The only other contributing factor that I think is the moisture level of the wood. It actually probably gained some moisture, if anything, as I bought it in late November from a seller in NJ and I keep my archtops at a humidity level that’s always very close to 50%.

User Info Menu

Are there any 'tonerite' advocates? This device was mentioned briefly in this thread, but I'm surprised it is not more widely accepted here. I've not tried one, but have considered it.

About Us – ToneRite

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Are there any 'tonerite' advocates? This device was mentioned briefly in this thread, but I'm surprised it is not more widely accepted here. I've not tried one, but have considered it.
    I’m very skeptical there’s anything to it beyond marketing. To be convinced otherwise I’d want to see results of controlled experiments demonstrating the claimed benefit. Until then I’ll assume positive reviews are mostly due to the placebo effect.

User Info Menu

I would like to try one, but I don't have $150 worth of curiosity. That may be one of my projects, though, once I hit the big lottery jackpot. I have several in mind, but the problem is that my wife has no math ability, and keeps picking the wrong numbers. But any day now...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I would like to try one, but I don't have $150 worth of curiosity. That may be one of my projects, though, once I hit the big lottery jackpot. I have several in mind, but the problem is that my wife has no math ability, and keeps picking the wrong numbers. But any day now...
    I feel the same. There is no doubt in my mind guitars open with playing. Can a 60hz gizmo replicate/speed up that effect. At $40, I would get one in a heart beat. At $150, I just don’t feel compelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Ive been following this thread and because I couldn't answer FloatingPickup's direct question about a sound difference with the same guitar, cutaway vs non-cutaway I refrained from comment. But I have a little something to share.
    Earlier this year, I did an open mic night with my beloved Tal. The jam was a very spirited jazz/funk theme and I played a lot of rhythm that night so I picked a lot (think, Eric Gale/Nile Rodgers). Later that night when I got home, I detailed my guitar and I noticed the most amazing thing. It opened up DRAMATICALLY. Hanging on my wall as I plucked the open strings, it astonishingly became my loudest guitar. The change affected the responsiveness and it became a vibrant acoustic instrument over night.
    Later on that week, I played it again. It was still more vibrant than before, but noticeably less than it was, the night of the jam.
    A month later, it settled back into my least vibrant guitar just like it had always was.
    I play with a notoriously light picking force. So my guitars rarely open up. My Tal DID for a short time. And then it went right back to being only one of the best electric Archtops I've ever played.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

I notice a volume diffrence Between a the two Types and a little Tone Diffrence the cut away seems to have a quitter and more treble sound

User Info Menu

While I figure it changes the sound somewhat I also imagine most skilled luthiers know how to build around it so the differences is near negligible

While I do prefer a full body with my play style of droning the bass strings while doing phrygian dominant runs on the high strings I need as much upper fretboard access as I can get

User Info Menu

So I've had a ToneRite on my 1935 Epiphone Broadway for the last week. It *seems* louder to me. I'm not sure if the effect is purely subjective, or even if there is an objective change, whether it's the result of the ToneRite or the rosaries I've been praying for the intercession of St. Cecilia, patroness of musicians.

I guess I see how they make their money, but they're not even the most clever snake-oil salesmen. I think their pricing definitely needs work. At $40 they could easily 10x the number of customers who'd be perfectly content with their confirmation bias.

User Info Menu

So I've had a ToneRite on my 1935 Epiphone Broadway for the last week. It *seems* louder to me. I'm not sure if the effect is purely subjective, or even if there is an objective change, whether it's the result of the ToneRite or the rosaries I've been praying for the intercession of St. Cecilia, patroness of musicians.

I guess I see how they make their money, but they're not even the most clever snake-oil salesmen. I think their pricing definitely needs work. At $40 they could easily 10x the number of customers who'd be perfectly content with their confirmation bias.
    I remember someone telling me to leave my guitar on stand in front of a big stereo speaker with loud music playing for hours on end. I tried it. Not sure if made a difference or not.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Hey gang, I think we've really covered this subject very well. There's a lot of fantastic information from a number of you that is invaluable. It never seems to amaze me how fluid a guitar that is played well can be. I love these kinds of discussions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    I remember someone telling me to leave my guitar on stand in front of a big stereo speaker with loud music playing for hours on end. I tried it. Not sure if made a difference or not.
    Keith
    Hah, haven't heard that one Keith.
    But ya gotta make sure you play the right music or it'll screw up the tone of the guitar...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Hah, haven't heard that one Keith.
    But ya gotta make sure you play the right music or it'll screw up the tone of the guitar...
    Yeah, that’s for sure. You could end up with an L5 that sounds like a strat.
    Keith

User Info Menu

It's a matter of opportunity cost for the capital it would require to scale up to 10x production capacity. Every dollar invested in Tonerite is a dollar not invested in nutritional supplements.

John

User Info Menu

Keith
    Yup - -I heard that too ! And it had to be facing the constellation Orion. This recommendation was first seen in Tut's sarcaphagus, then later appeared in the Age of Caesar, loosely translated as ' laminated vs solid wood lyre '.

User Info Menu

Omphalophycho, I can't imagine that you can do anything to an 83 year old Epiphone to get her to 'open up'! Just my opinion, but it is grounded in some experience and fact. I own a '36 Emperor, and a '44 L7, plus a '36 Italian Calace' archtop. They're open. I don't doubt you, or my other brothers and sisters on this forum who notice differences in tone after extended sessions. These can occur for a number of reasons. When I take one of my guitars to a session somewhere, or even to a different room in my house, the biggest factor affecting the sound, I think, is probably humidity and temperature of a different environment. The gradients of these two variables on the guitar, not to mention your own body's contribution, can create changes. The wood comes into equilibrium with the existing vapor pressure of the atmosphere.

To the question of cut vs non-cut, all other things equal (i.e., no p/u on the business side), there are no guitars that I've experienced with cutaway that can approach the L7 or Emperor that I own. I've played in plenty of sessions with cutaways, and their players comments about this are consistent. This is even with TI 13 rounds on the L7, not just acoustic strings. If she's wearing bronze, there's no way, they have to amplify. It's a killer.

User Info Menu

Keith
    Keith, You never know bro. Sometimes those hair-brain ideas really work. Or, work psychologically..

I had this girl in my office one time who told me no matter what she did, she could never build up her shoulder muscles enough to match the width of her neck. So I told her to buy 20lb dumbbells and when she got home every night, grab the dumbbells and walk around with them in your hands for the rest of the night until you fall asleep.
    A couple of weeks later, she came into my office and said, Joe, "I cant thank you enough. Look at my shoulders". Well, I couldn't really tell the difference. And then she said, "the only problem is, now my forearms are too big for my biceps". I didn't have the heart to make another recommendation..

Joe D

User Info Menu

Joe, you are a riot! That is a hoot!