The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Posts 226 to 250 of 274
    The effect is fairly subtle if you're using a warm sounding tube amp. That said you should definitely be hearing something. If you dime the gain on the right hand side and have the left hand side gain on very low you should hear some audible break-up from the pedal. (both foot switches need to be on).

Mine completely stopped working only a few months after I got it. It's actually playing up again, I'm getting a high pitched hissing sound from it now. Have tried different power supplies/leads etc. to no avail. Looks like I'll have to get it mended yet again.

It is a great sounding pedal though, I've found it a godsend for when I'm using backline amps. It gives nice bit of compression and takes out the harsh/shrill highs that many cheap amps seem to have in abundance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jr. Barnyard is a good idea and when it works the way it's supposed to is a nice sounding pedal to achieve octal-like tones. However, the build quality is really not good and it's prone to breaking down. A dud out of the box wouldn't be a surprise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MAJackson
    The Jr. Barnyard is a good idea and when it works the way it's supposed to is a nice sounding pedal to achieve octal-like tones. However, the build quality is really not good and it's prone to breaking down. A dud out of the box wouldn't be a surprise.
    Main problem with mine is that hardly anything happens. Mild is the word-to the point that I sent it back today. We'll see what happpens.

User Info Menu

Hello there friends. We recorded a new video for Quarantine Session and I used Jr. + AER Compact 60.
    I hope you enjoy it.

User Info Menu

I tried to make the best out of the current Situation with all our gigs cancelled, so we recorded a full 20 track Album at home. For all my electric parts i used my Jr. Barnyard through a cheap ibanez amp for acoustic guitar, surpassing the built in preamp.
    Here is a small snippet from one of the tracks, and I honestly feel like this is one of the best guitar sounds i ever recorded.

I really like the tone I'm getting with my Barnyard!

Paul

User Info Menu

Wow, that does sound good, great playing too!

User Info Menu

That's sound great. Barnyard is an incredible pedal.

User Info Menu

Hello there friends, here is new video with Barnyard and a custom guitar inspired on L5/ES-150.

User Info Menu

I want one of those Nocturne El Pescadoros.... it's the Junior Barnyard Preamp with a Chess-style old school reverb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    nice!!! enjoy... tavo @ nocturne tried to give a little true vintage octal tube tone to modern amps...with a pedal

he's also got a new model that combines the barnyard with a reverb...the el pescadoro....his tribute to early classic chicago electric blues tones..

cheers
    Just finished ordering one. Thanks, neatomic!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Just finished ordering one. Thanks, neatomic!
    hey nice!!! tavo vega of nocturne is a great fellow...loves the music...a kindered spirit...known each other a while now..top gear guy

congrats and enjoy...

let us know what you think!! i think you'll be happy!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 06-29-2020 at 01:54 PM. Reason: typo-

User Info Menu

tavo's nocturne el pescadoro

tim lerch style

tommy harkenrider smokey

cheers

User Info Menu

I still want a hollowbody with P90s.... everytime I hear one, I consider putting P90s on my Gretsch Hot Rod (would require drilling holes)... but then I play it and like it for what it is.... but it still doesn't cure my GAS for something like an ES-295/ES-350.... or even a 125/150 style....

User Info Menu

I posted this on another thread, but it's much more relevant to this one.

I was doing a recording session with my 1939 EH-185, mic'd with a BK5 ribbon mic about 2 feet away. I split the signal and also ran into the Junior Barnyard into a DI. I did this so I could have a little extra signal in my headphone mix, but I didn't intend to use it in the final mix, but I have to say, it sounds great.

Now, important caveat, this is the pedal DIRECT, not also coming through a speaker into physical space. And so much of what I hear in Charlie Christian's sound (which is what I'm going for) has to do with the amp and speaker being "heard" in a physical space (usually by a ribbon mic a few feet away). All that said, it still sounds great.

The soundcloud embed for the playlist is a little wonky, but it's in the is order:
    - 1939 EH-185 mic'd with a BK5 ribbon mic
    - Junior Barnyard DI
    - a 50/50 blend
    - blended approximately 80% amp with 20% DI

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Yes, I already knew how it was supposed to sound, but it doesn't. That's why I started this thread.
    You didn't start this thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    I posted this on another thread, but it's much more relevant to this one.

I was doing a recording session with my 1939 EH-185, mic'd with a BK5 ribbon mic about 2 feet away. I split the signal and also ran into the Junior Barnyard into a DI. I did this so I could have a little extra signal in my headphone mix, but I didn't intend to use it in the final mix, but I have to say, it sounds great.

Now, important caveat, this is the pedal DIRECT, not also coming through a speaker into physical space. And so much of what I hear in Charlie Christian's sound (which is what I'm going for) has to do with the amp and speaker being "heard" in a physical space (usually by a ribbon mic a few feet away). All that said, it still sounds great.

The soundcloud embed for the playlist is a little wonky, but it's in the is order:
    - 1939 EH-185 mic'd with a BK5 ribbon mic
    - Junior Barnyard DI
    - a 50/50 blend
    - blended approximately 80% amp with 20% DI

Great tone there Jonathan.
    The Jr. sounds amazing in the DI and it's looks like a great way to use it live without an amp.

In the first mix is there any acoustic tone on it?

P.S.: I'm looking forward to hear Campus Five new album.

User Info Menu

So the BK5 was about a foot away from the guitar and 2 ft from the amp, so it was definitely catching some of the acoustic sound of the guitar.

User Info Menu

Nice, I supposed that. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Johnathan,

To me, that JB sounded a tiny bit cleaner/clearer, without that trademark CC "woof" he gets from the amp/speaker, BUT... still sounds great, and IMO a great testament to just how well Tavo nailed this with his JB pedal!

User Info Menu

I bought the El Pescadoro as I wanted the Jr Barnyard and a more vintage reverb option than most amps have. I LOVE it! Using it for just a slight breakup. Closest sound I'll probably ever get to the Charlie Christian Minton recordings. Plus when I play Western Swing, If I want Jr's sound, just juice it up a bit more. Can't wait to play a gig with this!!

User Info Menu

So bought one of these fellas - the El Pescadoro as I’m a sucker for a cool lo-fi reverb. I have to say it sounds great with every guitar I own, even the one with piezos... sign of a great pedal. Bit concerned about what people have said about the build quality, it’s not a cheap pedal especially after import taxes, but we’ll see.

With my Fender Princeton I get a really nice tightening and ... errr .... clankification? Thunkification? Of the bottom end. I can’t wait to try it on tunes with unison bass riffs like Such Sweet Thunder

(I get a lot of hiss but I’m using a crap power supply until it goes on my board.)

Building on what Jonathan did, the sound of the DI can be made to sound remarkably natural with the use of an IR. for this I used one for a small room with flat surfaces and a ribbon microphone backed away a little, with the Two Notes Wall of Sound plug-in (which is inexpensive and bloody marvellous), but I suspect you could get a similar effect from a subtle slapback or, of course, a low setting on the built in reverb on the El Pescadoro.

Sounds like this... (Sorry about the Insta link.)

Even got a nice comment from Tavo himself!
    Login • Instagram

Hoping I will actually get to gig this in 2021....
    Last edited by christianm77; 12-29-2020 at 06:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

With my Fender Princeton I get a really nice tightening and ... errr .... clankification? Thunkification? ...
    I think "thunkification" is a good word. "Thunk" is definitely what I here when listening to Christian or Banard. The Junior Barnyard is still on my list...

User Info Menu

If Dutchbopper gets ahold of one, the universe may implode from too much thunk density.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    So bought one of these fellas - the El Pescadoro as I’m a sucker for a cool lo-fi reverb. I have to say it sounds great with every guitar I own, even the one with piezos... sign of a great pedal. Bit concerned about what people have said about the build quality, it’s not a cheap pedal especially after import taxes, but we’ll see.

With my Fender Princeton I get a really nice tightening and ... errr .... clankification? Thunkification? Of the bottom end. I can’t wait to try it on tunes with unison bass riffs like Such Sweet Thunder

(I get a lot of hiss but I’m using a crap power supply until it goes on my board.)

Building on what Jonathan did, the sound of the DI can be made to sound remarkably natural with the use of an IR. for this I used one for a small room with flat surfaces and a ribbon microphone backed away a little, with the Two Notes Wall of Sound plug-in (which is inexpensive and bloody marvellous), but I suspect you could get a similar effect from a subtle slapback or, of course, a low setting on the built in reverb on the El Pescadoro.

Sounds like this... (Sorry about the Insta link.)

Even got a nice comment from Tavo himself!
    Login • Instagram

Hoping I will actually get to gig this in 2021....
    I got the EP as well, thanks to the good offices of our friend neatomic. Incredibly fun pedal, not the least fun of which is the Jr.B. And the virulent verberliciousness is just so, so nice. Ten/ten I'd buy again!

User Info Menu

Well I realised I hadn't actually plugged mine in since I got it and... phew it worked... allowed myself 10 minutes of sheer playing pleasure, before having to do stuff.