The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

It looks like I'm getting another crack at the 1957 ES-125 I tried (and really liked) a couple of weeks. There had been a sale pending, but it went south.

Anyways, I'm very much a newbie and have no experience with this guitar. Did some research and saw only a few posts on the subject. I currently have flatwounds on my Eastman 503 and love the feel/sound with them. It seems like the ES-125 is a pretty unique guitar with characteristics all its own.

With all that said (maybe unnecessarily so), I was wondering what some ES-125 owners use/have used and their overall experiences with their choices.

Thanks in advance!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mine is not an ES-125. It's the Guild more or less equivalent, the X50, from 1961. A little shallower in the body, otherwise pretty much the same.

My usual choice for archtops is a custom set pieced together from Just Strings bulk roundwounds. .050, .040., .030, .019, .015, .012, with unwound G. Because the X50 bridge required a wound G, I tried a couple sets of John Pearse "Jazz Light" roundwounds, as the gauges lined up with my preference, just substituting a roundwound .021 for the plain one.

Took awhile to figure out ... those J. Pearse strings don't feel great. Kept thinking it was the guitar (or me). Finally switched back to the bulk roundwounds from Just Strings. Instant improvement in feel.

So bottom line for me: with that type of guitar, that Just Strings custom set is near perfect. Flatwounds have never been to my taste, so my preferences here might not be relevant to you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mad dog
    Mine is not an ES-125. It's the Guild more or less equivalent, the X50, from 1961. A little shallower in the body, otherwise pretty much the same.

My usual choice for archtops is a custom set pieced together from Just Strings bulk roundwounds. .050, .040., .030, .019, .015, .012, with unwound G. Because the X50 bridge required a wound G, I tried a couple sets of John Pearse "Jazz Light" roundwounds, as the gauges lined up with my preference, just substituting a roundwound .021 for the plain one.

Took awhile to figure out ... those J. Pearse strings don't feel great. Kept thinking it was the guitar (or me). Finally switched back to the bulk roundwounds from Just Strings. Instant improvement in feel.

So bottom line for me: with that type of guitar, that Just Strings custom set is near perfect. Flatwounds have never been to my taste, so my preferences here might not be relevant to you.
    Thank you so much for the response. Didn't even know a site calmed "Just Strings" existed. Very helpful!

Just curious, is your aversion to flatwounds a feel thing or a tone/sound thing or Both? Thanks again!

User Info Menu

I love Thomastik Infeld Jazz Swings with the old P90s in archtops of this era. Of course, I also love them with most other archtops.

User Info Menu

DM:

It's all personal taste. Mostly tonal on my preference for roundwounds. The feel is good with flats. Strange as I do like darker sounds, but flats seem to cut out too much of the string presence. I'd rather just use the tone knob.

User Info Menu

You should buy a few sets and make a call based on your personal preference.

I ended up with rounds on it because the acoustic sound of a full-depth non-cut archtop is loud, and I find the acoustic sound of flats less gratifying than that of rounds. But that rationale is specific to my taste. I can't recommend the same setup universally.

User Info Menu

I had a 125 for years. I think that the TI Jazz Bebop set, 12-50, is just about perfect for that guitar.

User Info Menu

I agree with you Greentone.
    I have TI George Benson's on my HJS18 and I love them. I think they are 12-53's. Beautiful strings. To me they are: Strings, the way strings were meant to be.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I agree with you Greentone.
    I have TI George Benson's on my HJS18 and I love them. I think they are 12-53's. Beautiful strings. To me they are: Strings, the way strings were meant to be.
    Joe D
    Did you find the Bensons tonaly any different than the JS-112? Aside from the different gauges.

User Info Menu

Maybe its just me imagining this, but that swirly sound they make in the big 18" body seemed to have lasted longer than the Jazz Swings did.
    But all in all, they are the same luscious pure nickel strings as the Jazz Swings.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

I use the GB TI 14 flats-- absolutely fantastic. can tolerate a MUCH harder attack than the swing 13s, thus more dynamics.

When I had a 125 i had chromes flats on it and it was cool. that was before i knew about ti though

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    You should buy a few sets and make a call based on your personal preference.

I ended up with rounds on it because the acoustic sound of a full-depth non-cut archtop is loud, and I find the acoustic sound of flats less gratifying than that of rounds. But that rationale is specific to my taste. I can't recommend the same setup universally.
    I understand and I guess I need to factor in how the guitar is going to be mostly played by me. Also, I play mostly with just my thumb......only occasionally w/ pick or pure fingerstyle. Right now I'm not sure if it will always be plugged in or sitting around playing it acoustically. I play a little fingerstyle Blues and it seems it might be a good guitar for that. I guess, as suggested, I should get a few different sets and see, but I think I will initially try the TI's Swings or Benson's first as mentioned.

Silly question: if I want to try a different set after playing the TI's for a bit, can I take them off and put them back on later? I'm new to playing flatwounds and they aren't cheap like most other strings i've used where i just usually cut and dumped them. Sorry for the silly question.

User Info Menu

Wow, I can't believe another member is using TI GB114's! So there's 2 of us. I have them on an ES175. But for acoustics I'm a big fan of TI Bebop round 113's. String choices are so personal, and those 2 are my personal favorites.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Silly question: if I want to try a different set after playing the TI's for a bit, can I take them off and put them back on later? I'm new to playing flatwounds and they aren't cheap like most other strings i've used where i just usually cut and dumped them. Sorry for the silly question.

Yes, just keep enough slack on the string end when you wind them. I do it all the time. I frequently buy strings thinking I'll love them on one guitar but then decide they don't work and store them to try on another guitar. They usually find a home that way.

User Info Menu

The current TI JS112 set on my 125 has been re moved not just once but 3 times for doing maintenance.
    First for an input jack replacement, then a ground issue soldering and finally when I found an original Tail Piece for it.
    As long as they are put on properly, no problem for me and I don't even let any slack at the end.
    They are still sounding great and keep their tuning, next time I will probably change them as they will be about a year old.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Wow, I can't believe another member is using TI GB114's! So there's 2 of us. I have them on an ES175. But for acoustics I'm a big fan of TI Bebop round 113's. String choices are so personal, and those 2 are my personal favorites.
    Heh, I use TI GB114, too, and on 25 1/2" scale -- L-5 and Tele. I put them on teh Tele jes to scare muh country cuzzins.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    . I have them on an ES175.
    me too!