The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

I am new to jazz guitar (about a year). Although I have played Rock for a long time (Van Halen, Eric Clapton, etc) and I have led worship services at church for the last decade... I don't know which JAZZ guitar to buy. I have a Carvin CT6M for Church, a Martin acoustic, an Ibanez Jem for shredding....but how do I get that pure golden Jazz tone!?! I will be playing through my MESA boogie tube amp on clean with a spring reverb.

I am certain that a Hollow or Semi Hollow is the way to go. But which one? I don't want to break the bank if I don't have to so I am listing a few guitars I am looking at and asking for your opinions comparing these guitars. Thanks for your experience and input:

1. Heritage guitars....535, 555, 575. Is one better than the other?

2. Gibson es137

3. Ibanez: as200, 2630, jcm100...are they equal?

4. Ibanez: PM35NT seems like a good buy for the price under $1,000.

do I need to spend $1,500 or are there good options under $1,000.

well, those are my uneducated thoughts. Please help me out.
    Zac

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, Zac.

There are certainly options for under $1000. The Epiphone Joe Pass II, Emperor Regent and ES-175 reissue are all in that price range. The Ibanez Artcores get some good reviews, and I've also read some good things about the Samick/Greg Bennett LaSalle series.

Right now, I'm playing an Eastman El Rey (ER-1) I picked up on eBay for under $1000. It's an unconventional design, but I love the tone and the action.

If you haven't already, check out the Jazz Guitar Gear link on the home page for some quick reviews of guitars in different price ranges.

User Info Menu

I randomly picked up a PM35NT last weekend in a guitar shop I visited looking for something else (ok, I'll admit it - I was looking for a Strat, of all guitars!)

I played the PM35NT for 20 minutes and loved it under fingers. It is ugly (to me) in "natural" finish, has some cheapo traits, but it is very nice to play and has a decent sound. Definitely worth a look in the "value for money" category!

User Info Menu

You are really talking about three different price points, and very different quality of guitars. Imo, the Heritage guitars are the cream of the crop in your list. Buying used is the best way to go, as they do not hold their resale value well, so the original buyer will have taken the hit. I do not personally like the Gibby ES137, but you might.

The Epis and Ibanez Artcores are a fairly big step down imo. Not to say they aren't good guitars, they are, but big difference in price point. The PM is a decent guitar for the price, and at $1k or just above, you are in the realm of Eastman guitars as goshawk mentions, and they are wonderful instruments.

There are plenty of guitars at the 3 price points you mention, so after reading about a few brands here, I would go out and play as many as I could get my hands on and decide what you like. Happy hunting.

User Info Menu

For around $1000 you might find a used Guild X-170, sort of a Guild version of the Gibson ES-175.
    Brad

User Info Menu

If I was you, I will go at the shop for testing guitars.
    It's important for trying differents woods, different pickups, what sort of neck do you like,...

If I must do a choice with the closed eyes in your bill, I would take the heritage 575.

Ive heard from guys in here that Peerless makes nice guitars in the 1000 buck price range.

User Info Menu

If you're looking at ES-137's, you should also look at 135's. I have one of those and like it better. There are a few others who have the 135 on here as well, maybe they'll chime in. They were discontinued a while ago (replaced with the 137) but you can usually find some on ebay.

User Info Menu

Yes, I have one of the ES-135 guitars and I like it just fine. It's a semi-hollow model, a cheaper, single cutaway version of the well-loved ES-335. Sounds pretty nice with heavy flat-wounds and definitely won't break the bank.

I also recommend the Heritage instruments, I bought a H575 recently for $1400 and I REALLY like it ! It's roughly the same size as the 135/137models but is hollow and has fully carved top and back, very rare for a guitar in this price range !

User Info Menu

Put flatwounds on your Carvin.

User Info Menu

Just get a telecaster, if you find one you like with a humbucker in the neck, then get that one, if you cant, get one put in it. Tele's are by far one of the most versitile guitars on the planet, esspecially if they have the humbucker in the neck. Top it off with some decently heavy strings. Roll the tone to 7, throw it on the neck pick up.....yyyuuummm.

I own a half decent jazz box, a hofner new president, but its a lot of worry. Not difficult to maintain or anything, its just my baby, i am protective. I take the tele out for gigs, its a beater, its built like a tank, and i also dont mind if other people play it. It has lived more than a few drunk encounters with stairs. Sounds great, easy to play, and maintain.

User Info Menu

All the suggestions here are fine, I really dug my artcore, was about 900 us bucks, and a 335, cheapo, 350 bucks, but the best buy of all was and is the les paul. Not hollow body sound, but jazz sound anyway. epi. Lovely.
    Peace
    Skei (the soundfinder one)

User Info Menu

I recently purchased a Hofner New President #25 of 50 made in vintage violin finish from Germany. It is so sweet and compares well with any made here in the states.
    Last edited by Woody56; 12-22-2009 at 10:47 AM.

User Info Menu

i've got a old kay archtop which i bought for 200 euros, really nice guitar. i put flatwounds on it, and it just sounds so much nicer. but some guitars dont really fit flatwounds in my opinion. for example, i've also got and Hofner Senator from 1960, and flatwounds just don't fit the guitar and it's sound. so you just have to try some different strings on your guitar and if that's not working for you, try other guitars

User Info Menu

I have Gibsons, Fenders, and (most notably) two Heritage guitars. About 5 months ago, I purchased my dream guitar, a Heritage H 575 Custom. Played through my Roland JC 77, this guitar sounds better than anything I have ever played (and I've been playing for about 35 years)...what did I pay? Just shy of $1500.00 and the guitar is absolutely mint. Expensive, but not rediculous.

User Info Menu

Last edited by woland; 12-23-2009 at 12:54 AM.

User Info Menu

I have been saving my money for a Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin CW. Hollow body with a cutaway and two P-90's. I have played all three versions of this guitar and am going with the CW. $995 US - with a hard shell case. Lots of videos on Youtube.

I also play a G&L ASAT Classic which is semi-hollow. Very nice woody tones through it. I play this through an AC-30 and can get any tone I can imagine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kromezone
    I have been saving my money for a Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin CW. Hollow body with a cutaway and two P-90's. I have played all three versions of this guitar and am going with the CW. $995 US - with a hard shell case. Lots of videos on Youtube.

I also play a G&L ASAT Classic which is semi-hollow. Very nice woody tones through it. I play this through an AC-30 and can get any tone I can imagine.
    Dunno that Godin guitar - not a huge fan of their stuff although I am always
    looking for a used nylon string synth-access Godin. But hey - McLaughlin
    plays Godin - also Sylvain Luc - they must do something right.
    But if I had to limit to just one guitar I would go with Tele - maybe try to
    swap the neck for a custom 25" scale one - would warm up tone a bit.
    G&L ASATs are great - not exactly semi-hollow though - I would call them
    "chambered" - but they are light and very comfy to play. You can definitely
    make them sound "jazzy" (providing you have humbucker in neck position)
    jsut experiment with strings and picks - I like Cool Picks - medium ones and
    I file the tip to round it up.
    I do have archtop but I use Tele much more often - comfort, durability,
    no feedback, flexible for many styles - that guitar is a clear choice.

User Info Menu

Does anyone own an Elferink guitar? Check out the site(.com). It is very rich with great downloads. Matt Otten plays a lengthy piece as well as others. I think you will enjoy the site.

User Info Menu

I don't believe you would beat one of the Peerles guitars for value for money.

I have a Monarch - it's great !

Listen to Matt Otten playing the Monarch on You Tube:

Cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by woland
    d'Angelico Excel:
    D'Angelico Guitars

or G&L ASAT Bluesboy:
    G&L USA ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow

This D'Angelico looks remarkably like the Peerless is this the same factory?

User Info Menu

Gretsch G5120

User Info Menu

Hofner HCT-J17 Contemporary Series at J.Hale Music.com

User Info Menu

Sorry forgot price--Hofner HCT-J17 $799.00 at J.Hale Music.com

User Info Menu

Check out the Hofner J17 Cutaway Guitar E2 Home page