The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hi everyone. Me being on a jazz site is kind of... Hell, I don't know. I love jazz, play some, a good friend was nominated for a Grammy for an album he produced but my late little brother was the real player in the family. But, I love good guitars, sometimes great ones, and I play clean and sort of jazzish at times.

So, now that you know that I kind of suck, here's my deal. I play a lot of clean stuff. I have an Ibanez archtop that is actually OK but I put a Bigsby on it and Filtertrons so it's more of a Gretsch sort of thing these days. I love a Bigsby on a big archtop because you don't need the tension bar. But I digress.

Ideally I want something a lot like a guitar I stupidly let go years ago. It was a Heritage 575. Very plain and a lovely guitar. Life interfered and I had to let it go. I'm looking for something that I can put flat 12's on, plays well and sounds good, ideally with stock pickups. I'm fairly seriously visually impaired and my days of changing pickups on a hollow body, soldering, etc., are behind me. If I find a really good option that needs some changes I'll have to hire it done. I'm not looking for a Sadowsky, a, fill in the blank. I want a good, high value, step above beginner guitar that will give me the tone and playability I'm looking for. 1K or under would be good. I know that Eastmans are a strong contender but I don't know much about the models. I'm comfortable with a 16" bout, medium C neck and as long as the cosmetics aren't silly, I don't care. I'm going to lose more vision so I really want to have something I can focus on. That was sort of a pun. A bad one.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I do have an Eastman dealer within an hour but they mainly show the 335 styles and I have a lovely Hamer Newport for that sort of thing, i.e. blues/pop. Thanks to all. Oh, my musical tastes are much better than my talent, FWIW

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

A nice Korean built early ‘90s Epiphone Emperor II Joe Pass can often be found for less than $500-600. They can pack a lot of bang for the buck. I’ve been shocked at how good some of them are for their going price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rom661
    Hi everyone. Me being on a jazz site is kind of... Hell, I don't know. I love jazz, play some, a good friend was nominated for a Grammy for an album he produced but my late little brother was the real player in the family. But, I love good guitars, sometimes great ones, and I play clean and sort of jazzish at times.

So, now that you know that I kind of suck, here's my deal. I play a lot of clean stuff. I have an Ibanez archtop that is actually OK but I put a Bigsby on it and Filtertrons so it's more of a Gretsch sort of thing these days. I love a Bigsby on a big archtop because you don't need the tension bar. But I digress.

Ideally I want something a lot like a guitar I stupidly let go years ago. It was a Heritage 575. Very plain and a lovely guitar. Life interfered and I had to let it go. I'm looking for something that I can put flat 12's on, plays well and sounds good, ideally with stock pickups. I'm fairly seriously visually impaired and my days of changing pickups on a hollow body, soldering, etc., are behind me. If I find a really good option that needs some changes I'll have to hire it done. I'm not looking for a Sadowsky, a, fill in the blank. I want a good, high value, step above beginner guitar that will give me the tone and playability I'm looking for. 1K or under would be good. I know that Eastmans are a strong contender but I don't know much about the models. I'm comfortable with a 16" bout, medium C neck and as long as the cosmetics aren't silly, I don't care. I'm going to lose more vision so I really want to have something I can focus on. That was sort of a pun. A bad one.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I do have an Eastman dealer within an hour but they mainly show the 335 styles and I have a lovely Hamer Newport for that sort of thing, i.e. blues/pop. Thanks to all. Oh, my musical tastes are much better than my talent, FWIW
    There are many choices here. I have an Epiphone Joe Pass which served me well for 20 years. I also have a couple of Ibanez Guitars and a couple of D’Angelico Guitars. I use flatwounds on most of them.

Check them out. Good Luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Hi,
    You need to tell us your budget, please. Sadowsky's run from $3500-5000, and you said you don't want something that expensive. So what is your budget??

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Hi,
    You need to tell us your budget, please. Sadowsky's run from $3500-5000, and you said you don't want something that expensive. So what is your budget??

Thanks!
    He wrote 1k or under in his op.

User Info Menu

For not much under 1K, a used Eastman might be possible, and I like them a lot.

Sorry, it was in my brain when I posted but didn't make the transition to my fingers. I'd say a thousand or less. Back when I had the Heritage you could pick one up used for 1200 or so but those days are long past. Plus a lot of variability in them.

User Info Menu

Epiphone ES175 Premium. Tons of guitar for not a lot of money. Gibson Classic 57 pickups.

User Info Menu

The Epi is a great deal if you can live with the neck. it's not a full C, rather thin but not extreme. But it can be had for a lot less than 1k, and it's a high quality guitar.

I'm not much of a thinner neck guy, I'm afraid. A 59 Les Paul carve is just too big but strongly prefer medium or slightly larger with a C shape. Since I've started having issues with my hands I have less wiggle room. The bolt on neck builds I do start with a 59 profile and then I sand them down until I like them. The Ibanez on the jazz boxish thing I turned into a Gretsch wannabe is pretty comfortable. I once had a Gibson ES-137 and if there's a perfect neck for me, that was it. Unfortunately used ones have gone up about 50%. Actually stillI have one and the neck is so twisted that even Dan Erlewine said it was hopeless. He suggested using it for slide.

User Info Menu

Based on your taste for the H575 I don't think you're going to find what you want at the price you want to pay. The H575 is a solid wood carved guitar. Add in the top mount pickups and controls and it results in a certain kind of sound. It's going to be really tough to find that sound in a laminate guitar and from my experience you certainly aren't going to find it in a laminate Ibanez or any Eastman. There might be a Peerless at the right price used but even amount those the closest match is probably the 16" Cremona and it has a 25.5" scale length making it a petty different beast. Probably my best advice is to change some part of your criteria, either price, features, or tonal character but that can be a really challenging exercise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    He wrote 1k or under in his op.
    My bad!
    Another Ibanez or used Eastman vote.

User Info Menu

I will add my vote for Epiphone 175 Premium. I had one and they sound fantastic. Gibson pickups standard. I would still have it but I prefer 25.5" scale.

User Info Menu

Godin 5th Ave Kingpin or Kingpin II

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Godin 5th Ave Kingpin or Kingpin II
    +1 for this suggestion. The Godins' thin laminate top has an almost carved/acoustic sound to it and is about as loud as some carved top guitars with set-in pups. Maybe Mr. Beaumont will weigh in (he has a Kingpin and a 575 IIRC). There are also models with humbuckers.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    +1 for this suggestion. The Godins' thin laminate top has an almost carved/acoustic sound to it and is about as loud as some carved top guitars with set-in pups. Maybe Mr. Beaumont will weigh in (he has a Kingpin and a 575 IIRC). There are also models with humbuckers.

John
    Hey, that's me.

I do have both a 575 and single pickup Kingpin, and I must say, they're very different guitars. The Kingpin is VERY light and resonant, and has a good deal of acoustic voice. The P-90 has a good amount of bite, I string it with Monels, and when I play it, it inspires me to play in a very specific, old school 1930's-40's kind of way. It's very Charlie Christian feeling.

My 575 is a heavier (though I suppose still not heavy, it's under 7 lbs) guitar, has much less presence acoustically. Mine is a maple top, a pretty thick carve, and it sounds mellow unplugged, which is only heightened plugged in. It can actually be too bassy through some amps--I find myself EQ-ing things differently depending on the room. The sound isn't what I'd call that of a carved guitar, really, it's very much that dark, "smokey" classic jazz tone, maybe with a bit more sustain and less "thunk" than a 175. A very cool guitar.

Clearly, I'm keeping both