The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

I have enough gift card credits with Amazon to get a JC-22. I could put some $ with it and get a JC-40. I also have a cube 60 which has served me ver well for a long time. The true stereo of the JC models sound appealing, but no local store has one I can try. I could happily stay with what I have, but GAS is real. Any suggestions?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cube!

User Info Menu

It's are bright amps
    Great sound if you like zing

I'd keep the cube myself
    I like the dark/warm sound more

up to you

User Info Menu

I would say don't buy a JC anything without trying it first. They have a particular tone that's not to everyone's liking (definitely not to mine, but that might not mean anything to someone else). The JC stereo chorus effect is also a very particular thing that does not sound much like a two-amp set-up with a bigger stereo field. If you like it, go for it. But if you don't know it, better to check it out first. OTOH, I like the cube series amps a lot (I think several of the COSM models sound quite good). If I have to choose between a Cube and a JC in a backline, I take the Cube. So given my tastes, I'd channel GAS in other directions.

John

I appreciate all the responses. I do like the sound of the Cube. I do wish I could play a JC. Amazon does have a great return policy, but it is a hassle. I guess I could just keep letting my credit build up until I find something I really want or need. I have not desired a new guitar in a long time. (Thankfully)

User Info Menu

Cube, but treat yourself to new pedal to spice things up!

User Info Menu

I too prefer the cube.

User Info Menu

rsclosson,

Have you ever played those two amps of yours simultaneously?

Just a thought.

Good luck.

User Info Menu

Keep the Cube!
    They are a rare thing and you will regret it.

Put the gift card towards a Yamaha THR 10C for practice amp and coffee shop gigs.

Thank me later...

User Info Menu

I recently bought a JC-22, because having played through headphones for the last 6 months, I have gravitated towards using the stereo options on my reverb (HoF) and delay (Flashback 2) pedals. I bought the JC to see if a stereo amp could recreate the magic I hear through the phones. The FX loop is mono-out stereo-return, so this works well with my pedals. Obviously the stereo separation is not like the phones, but it is certainly different from mono. Yes, the JC chorus is "interesting", but not why I bought the amp.

The JC-22 is much louder than expected - I don't know why it is called a "22", as it is rated at 30 solid state Watts.

Its not perfect, i.e. it has the characteristic JC hiss - but it doesn't get louder as you increase the volume and I really can't hear it when playing. The hiss is a feature of the power amp only, so it isn't transferred to the phones out or line out. In this respect, it s better than my DV Little Jazz. Tone wise, it is brighter than the Little Jazz when both have their EQ controls at 12 o'clock, but by rolling off the treble a little and increasing the mids, the JC gets close to the tone of the LJ. If I only played straight ahead jazz on an archtop, I would be keeping the LJ and sending the JC back, but as the JC is far more flexible in terms of musical styles, it is staying, and my Little Jazz is now on eBay (although I must admit, I won't be stressed if it doesn't sell !).

Although brighter than the LJ, the JC does have a fairly strong mid range, however with my "Blackface" style tube preamp - the Two Notes Le Clean - in front, the JC does an excellent Fender mid-scoop imitation when required.

User Info Menu

I usually gig with a jc55 and I am satisfied. But I have used a cube and would be perfectly happy with one.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    rsclosson,

Have you ever played those two amps of yours simultaneously?

Just a thought.

Good luck.
    Actually I haven’t, but I appreciate the idea. I have used the acoustic amp by itself for small gigs and am always surprised at how good it sounds. I have a line on another one just like it and could get it for a super low price. Hmmmm....

User Info Menu

I'd keep the cube and add a small tube amp into the inventory

User Info Menu

Cubes are great.

Buy a nice reverb pedal?

User Info Menu

I am a former JC-owner and now a JC-hater, so I say "No!" to JC's as a rule. The Cubes are supposed to be cool, so what's wrong with yours?

On the GAS side, what are you needing more gear for? Do you have new performing opportunities, just want something different, just like stereo chorus, or what? Do you want to try tubes vs. SS, or just use SS, etc.?

There's a lot of great amp gear out there (although I'm not sure how extensive Amazon is for amps), so lots to consider!

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    I am a former JC-owner and now a JC-hater, so I say "No!" to JC's as a rule. The Cubes are supposed to be cool, so what's wrong with yours?

On the GAS side, what are you needing more gear for? Do you have new performing opportunities, just want something different, just like stereo chorus, or what? Do you want to try tubes vs. SS, or just use SS, etc.?

There's a lot of great amp gear out there (although I'm not sure how extensive Amazon is for amps), so lots to consider!

Very logical points for sure. Just not sure what GAS and logic have to do with each other. ????

User Info Menu

Another vote for the Cube. I bought a JC40 and listed it for sale the next day ... the classic JC hiss faithfully reproduced in a modern release. If you're interested in a nice alternative to the cube, consider the DV Mark amps. I love my Micro Jazz 50 and hopefully the Little Jazz I ordered will arrive here some day.

User Info Menu

+1 for the Cube.

At the time I was in the market, Cube 60s were already out of production. Roland was offering 40s and 80s so I bought the 80. I wound up selling it when I bought my Quilter. Then I bought the TRIO+ pedal and realized that it needed a dedicate amp for it, and I was back in the market ... and all roads led to the Cube 60. Even though I bought it to amplify the pedal, it's cool to have an amp with built-in effects. It gives you the freedom to play Mr. P.C. with a classic 175 tone (Doug Raney) or with a fusion tone (Derek Trucks). Just one example - there are many excellent use cases for it.

My take-away from the experience: buy a second amp, but don't sell the Cube.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    Very logical points for sure. Just not sure what GAS and logic have to do with each other. ????
    Ha! They have nothing to do with each other!!

As an experienced GAS-aholic, however, I still encourage people to make informed decisions they can afford.
    If I had a dollar for every dollar I've spent on gear, I'd be rich.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Ha! They have nothing to do with each other!!

As an experienced GAS-aholic, however, I still encourage people to make informed decisions they can afford.
    If I had a dollar for every dollar I've spent on gear, I'd be rich.
    Totally agree! In fact I am amazed that I allowed this much credit to build up with Amazon. Normally the $$ would be burning a hole in my pocket. I guess as I get older the GAS is subsiding a little. (Not what I was told would be the case for aging digestion.)

Frankly I have had a hard time finding anything I need.

User Info Menu

... Frankly I have had a hard time finding anything I need.
    Want and need ... Horses of a different color. Have you had the Digitech TRIO+ out for a test drive?

User Info Menu

In the 80s I gigged with the JC 120. Everyone did, for a while. It was a good amp. I wasn't using it for jazz calls, though. It was for covering Talking Heads, etc. With a Stratocaster it was serious 70s/80s goodness. Just _never_ use the distortion knob...as useless as the red knob on a Polytone Mini Brute.

I've owned lots of Roland gear. It's all been ruggedly built. Everything holds up well.

I much preferred the good old orange covered Cube 60 to the JC amps, however. It wasn't loud enough for the gigs I used the 120 for, but for jazz gigs it was the equal of any Polytone and got a great sound.

A bit better with a solid-body than the Polytone, IMO, too. [I slightly preferred the Polytone though for archtops, which is why from that time to this I still have Polytones.]

User Info Menu

I have a cube 60 since the first year (20 years ago? 2002??) anyway… this amp IMO in clean channel is the best.

No discussion. In effects is disgusting. Just the reverb is acceptable. The cosm amplifiers channel is so so, 50% acceptable but not as the clean channel. Also have a JC-40.

Is an stereo amp. This is the best for stereo delays (pan delay, stereo delay, dual l/r…) so using it with a delay pedal or with a boss gt or simlar, this amp is absolutelly a trip to a universe where the Cube can’t go.

Also what I said for chorus onboard effect and vibrato effect, but I dont use them so much. Cube is 60w more powerful.

JC-40 is 43w. But JC is stereo and Cube is mono… so the differences are not in terms of quality because both are good amps.

If i had to play a gig with a loud band, would take the Cube. If the gig in a pub or lillte space probably also would take the Cube because is bit lighter ans smaller.

To play at home playing experimental delays the JC-40 has no competitor, or playing in a band where your delay is crucial. If you expect to use the estereo inputs and stereo effects like delay then JC-40 is the only amp.

I am not a jazz player hope you kept the cube 60 at home and you bought the JC-too

Roland JC-22, JC-40 or Keep My Cube 60?-81413fc7-071a-46e5-bc4c-ef7106074ebf-jpg

This thread came up in my search for comparison between a Cube JC and an actual Jazz Chorus. The main concern was with low volume clean sound without noticeable hiss.

I'm in the small amp camp, only playing at home. In recent years, I've had some nice amps with 12" speakers that sounded great but were honestly too much amp for just home use.

A few months ago, the THR30 II recalibrated my sense of what I needed. The last of the larger amps were flipped soon after.

Although the THR was a perfect solution, especially when Blueooth-paired with my MBP to play my own backing tracks, GAS being what is, the quest for other desktop amps continued.

The Boss Dual Cube LX looked intriguing given its small foot print and the built-in looper. Cable connections galore in my small Mac-based recording studio is just fine, but my guitar practice/playing set up needs to be free of complications (fewest number of power supplies and cables) to the extent possible. The DC LX worked out perfectly.

I enjoy playing songs by the Ventures, surf, country twang, and jazz. My initial impression was that the excellent-sounding (sonic vibe vs. "authentic" tone) US Combo amp model was going to get the most use. In actuality, I started using the JC Clean model on a regular basis. When using an S2 594, I could effortlessly dial in sweet mellow jazz tones.

Prior to this, I had a vague awareness of the Roland Jazz Chorus amps. After looking into them based on the Cube JC Clean, I was amazed at the range of artists using them. I was equally concerned with the reported hiss these amps generate. No doubt this is not an issue at gig levels, but looked like it may be an issue with low volume playing.

Even so, the JC-22 looked like it would qualify as a small home amp. I'm sure that the headphone and line outs sound glorious. But the only way to determine how much of an issue the hiss will be with amp filling the room with sound is to order one and potentially return it.

I'm totally pleased with DC LX JC Clean, which is more than loud enough for home use. Maybe the JC Clean is better for me than an actual JC-22. It's really too bad Roland stopped making the larger Cube amps.

Holiday cheer to all.

User Info Menu

I have enough gift card credits with Amazon to get a JC-22. I could put some $ with it and get a JC-40. I also have a cube 60 which has served me ver well for a long time. The true stereo of the JC models sound appealing, but no local store has one I can try. I could happily stay with what I have, but GAS is real. Any suggestions?
    I also love my vintage Cube 60 and recommend keeping yours if it still functions properly.

If you're looking for a bit more volume and flexibility from your 60, try connecting it to an extension speaker. That and a Chorus pedal can give you a faux panning effect.

Neither option is a cure for GAS or Amazon Credits discounts, but maybe there are other gear purchases to consider. Good hunting.