The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Thank you Fred, that was helpful. On Monday night I happened to play a gorgeous ES 175 CC in Walnut. It sounded great, but the sound wasn't quite what I recollected from playing an original ES 150. Some internet research has scared me away from 70s Gibsons, though that guitar was fine sounding and fine playing, and it belonged to one of the finest players around, Miles Okazaki.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I assume the installation of the pickup is pretty "invasive" and not something one could do themselves?
    Indeed Mr. Lawson-Stone. Better let a luthier/qualified guitar tech do the job. As for me, Daniel Slaman did it.

Cheers.

Bumping this thread because I found this custom made Gibson from 1961. It has a solid carved spruce top plus L5 ebony fingerboard and headstock. Also an interesting feature is the cover that fits around the CC pickup. What a handsome guitar!

User Info Menu

You see stuff like that. Gibson accepted custom orders. L4C with 175 zigzag tailpiece, and L5 neck appointments.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    You see stuff like that. Gibson accepted custom orders. L4C with 175 zigzag tailpiece, and L5 neck appointments.
    Halcyon days.

User Info Menu

Not sure what the pickup is on that L4, but it’s not a Gibson made CC.

User Info Menu

Guitar probably left Kalamazoo with a humbucker.

User Info Menu

That's my guitar

It's a 1963, not 1961. According to Gibson it was a customer order. It does have a carved spruce top and the ES-5 neck appointments with 24 3/4" scale. When I got it had been routed by a previous owner for a humbucker, the factory route was for a CC along with the support holes in the top. That's a Lollar CC in it along with a "goof" ring to cover the humbucker route.

There you go .. mystery solved … oh, and it's a fantastic guitar …

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by old tube
    That's my guitar

It's a 1963, not 1961. According to Gibson it was a customer order. It does have a carved spruce top and the ES-5 neck appointments with 24 3/4" scale. When I got it had been routed by a previous owner for a humbucker, the factory route was for a CC along with the support holes in the top. That's a Lollar CC in it along with a "goof" ring to cover the humbucker route.

There you go .. mystery solved … oh, and it's a fantastic guitar …
    Love it !
    Heavenly