The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 47

User Info Menu

Anyone here own the single 15" speaker version of the famed Fender Twin Reverb? Thoughts and or opinions?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

played thru...great!..a fender thru a 15" speaker is always good...srv's vibroverb!!...dick dales showman...

twin with 15" is great, huge bottom, loud clean...but heavy beast..also the type of 15" speaker is essential...they put in an eminence wannabe jbl type speaker...which is ok...but plenty of options...a neo magnet speaker will lighten the load somewhat

wes' standel had 15" jbl-130.. one of best guitar speakers ever

used reissue diaz fender vibroverb is worth a look as well...half the power.... but still huge 15" tone

my fave cab ever was a fender showman with 2 ev 15's...sounded great with anything..any guitar or bass...but was the weight (& size) of a fridge!! haha

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 08-29-2018 at 10:21 PM. Reason: corr-

User Info Menu

I put together a Vibroverb-like combo amp with a 15" speaker and a Bandmaster Reverb head once. Very sweet sounding amp.

User Info Menu

ps- the only caveat regarding twin 15" is that it is a circuit board amp...the diaz fender vibroverb is ptp...

some don't care, but...

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    played thru...great!..a fender thru a 15" speaker is always good...srv's vibroverb!!...dick dales showman...

twin with 15" is great, huge bottom, loud clean...but heavy beast..also the type of 15" speaker is essential...they put in an eminence wannabe jbl type speaker...which is ok...but plenty of options...a neo magnet speaker will lighten the load somewhat

wes' standel had 15" jbl-130f.. one of best guitar speakers ever

used reissue diaz fender vibroverb is worth a look as well...half the power.... but still huge 15" tone

my fave cab ever was a fender showman with 2 ev 15's...sounded great with anything..any guitar or bass...but was the weight (& size) of a fridge!! haha

cheers
    Yours was the same experience and impression I had.
    I played through a friend of mine's and loved that big, heavy tone monster. It was totally stock and loud as hell. I was afraid to crank it up at my home for fear S.W.A.T. would be called.

User Info Menu

wes' standel had 15" jbl-130f.. one of best guitar speakers ever
    D-130. The "F"models were specific to Fender amps. (I'm a pedantic old lady about this stuff)

wes' standel had 15" jbl-130.. one of best guitar speakers ever

cheers
    Thanks neatomic for the feedback. Okay - Incoming.

About 4 years ago I'd just purchased a Headstrong verbrovibe. Best amp I'd ever owned. Shortly after its arrival I had a customer come by to demo a guitar. He insisted on bringing his own amp even when I told him what I had in house. He lugged his amp up the stairs and suddenly I heard this rolling sound on the porch leading to the front door. In comes what I thought was a Twin Reverb, but no, it was a Custom 15. It was the first time I'd ever heard one. I couldn't believe how clean the amp sounded. So naturally I've wanted one since, but they were more money used than I wanted to pay...until a demo appeared today at 30% off. Timing is everything...

User Info Menu

I played one in the Fender booth at the 2006 or 7 or 8 Winter NAMM, with both a Benedetto and a Gretsch--don't remember the models.

I thought it sounded excellent with either. It was probably my favorite amp at the show.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    D-130. The "F"models were specific to Fender amps. (I'm a pedantic old lady about this stuff)
    I had a Dual Showman Reverb with two of those beauties. Capable of seismic volume (fortunately needed only for large outdoor events); lush, full, and clean; sweet with that beautiful spring reverb. Of course moving one was a major undertaking. But once you got it in place, there was no denying the glorious tone. I miss it (the sound part, not the Sisyphean task of transport). A few years back I saw one while on an antique expedition with Mrs.k and our youngest Granddaughter. Only the straightened dimensions of the PT Cruiser and my wallet kept me from hauling that behemoth back to the Bat Cave.

Probably just as well.

User Info Menu

While chasing a single 15, hi-fi sounding amp...I went this route:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Anyone here own the single 15" speaker version of the famed Fender Twin Reverb? Thoughts and or opinions?
    My Twin has a single 15" Altec speaker in it. I bought it used in a shop in Sheffield about 1978, I was just looking for a loud combo amp at the time and that's all they had. I used to gig with it playing rock stuff for a few years.

I don't really use it now, it's too heavy and it's too loud for my purposes. I was never sure if it was built with a 15" to start with, or whether some pedal steel guy converted it. (If they did, you can't tell from looking inside the cab, all looks seamlessly put together, so maybe it was original). To be honest I've never really liked it that much. To lift it regularly now would put me in hospital!

In fact I will probably sell/trade it sometime, could go towards another guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    Not quite. They're actually two different speakers, and D130F's were original equipment in many brands besides Fender. The D130 was a full range speaker and the D130F was a musical instrument speaker derived from it. It was designed to be used in the Dual Showman and Fender was a major JBL customer and distributor which is where the F came from, but it was available to anyone. It was designed by a guy named Harvey Gerst who wrote about this quite a bit on usenet newsgroups. Here's an example:

Speakers D130F History << HarpAmps

John

User Info Menu

I know there are many variables involved (guitar, amp, cabinet & speaker) but is there a common quality to 15" speakers? Even roughly speaking?

User Info Menu

Sure...if it's an extended range speaker, roughly speaking:
    bigger, rounder, fatter, deeper, warmer.
    I base this on the 15" speakers in my amps/cabs:
    -JBL K130 (AlNiCo)
    -Altec 418B (AlNiCo)
    -CTS (whichever model was OEM for the Ampeg GV-15 @1970)
    -EVM15L (reconed from bass to extended-range)
    -Altec 421A (theoretically a bass speaker, but still has a wider range than many current 15" so-called "guitar" speakers)
    -whatever is in my Polytone 102
    Last edited by Hammertone; 08-30-2018 at 02:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Purely subjective, but I prefer the D130 to the D130f in the guitar amplifiers I have used these speakers in. The reasons are stated above in Hammertone's entry. The D130 gets a very big, round response for jazz (and presumably steel).

I would never turn down a D130f, though. It's also a great speaker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Purely subjective, but I prefer the D130 to the D130f in the guitar amplifiers I have used these speakers in. The reasons are stated above in Hammertone's entry. The D130 gets a very big, round response for jazz (and presumably steel).

I would never turn down a D130f, though. It's also a great speaker.
    I don't think I've ever played through a non-F. I had an F in a brownface Pro for many years. I think of it as having a pretty flat response compared to must other guitar speakers, but very directional, and different sounding up close vs far away (which I gather is the way most 15's are compared to other sizes). I've come to prefer smaller speakers (I think 10's are my favorite).

John

You guys and your vintage gear. That’s kewl!

So I’ll be the first on this forum to own one of these Custom 15’s? Leave it to a piano player to break new ground on a guitar forum.

I agree with HT, go big and stay home!

User Info Menu

So I’ll be the first on this forum to own one of these Custom 15’s? Leave it to a piano player to break new ground on a guitar forum.

2B~The one I played through was owned by a member here. Not sure if he still participates, or owns the Custom 15.

If you've got one on the way, I'm sure you'll dig it. Keep us posted.

User Info Menu

I never owned one, but a rehearsal space where I used to play a lot had one and I played through it many times. I liked it. It has been a while, but IIRC it was not as loud as a 2x12 (a feature IMO) and safer to crank up a bit.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    My biggest amp, these days, stays home. It's a Lab Series L-5 with a JBL D-130 15" speaker instead of two 12" CTS 16 ohm speakers in parallel (an 8 ohm load).

The amp sounds terrific. If I cared to transport it, it would sound terrific at gigs, but it's as heavy as a derned Twin Reverb.

I like the built-in compressor. The amp sounds nice for everything from a Telecaster to an archtop.

The amp replaced the last big Fender I had--blackface Showman Amp into a single JBL D130f cabinet.
    Back in the day, a friend of mine had one with a 15" EVM. Yup, loud and heavy. Worked as a bass amp too, but I never much liked it as a rock guitar amp (which is what we were all up to at the time).

John

I received this amp some weeks back. Having owned a previous pair of Twins and variant Twin types I'm most moved by this amps clarity/clean tone. A guitar buyer brought his Custom 15 to my home some years ago. That listening session resulted in me placing the amp on my bucket list. It's not easy buying an amp blind, but in this case the dice roll turned up a satisfying 7.

These Custom 15's aren't easy to find at great prices beneath MSRP. So I considered myself fortunate to find this new amp at a reasonable price.

Now time to break in these tubes before I go tinkering with tube upgrades. Once an audiophile, always an audiophile.

Highly recommended!

User Info Menu

Excellent! Glad it worked out for you.
    Every player needs to own, or at least play through a Fender Twin at some point in their life.

User Info Menu

That’s all the rig you will ever, ever need.
    2b, I’m glad your back in the gear game. That is quite a setup I must say.
    Beautiful and lots of luck with it.
    JD

User Info Menu

Do you need one of these or is it already suitably loaded? I see the metal dust cap but one never knows.

User Info Menu

IMO nothing beats a Twin’s tone. Nothing. Unfortunately mine never leaves the house now. Too heavy to schlep.

As Joe said......the perfect rig. Congrats Greg !