The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 202

User Info Menu

Woody:

No, the pic is of another. Mine has the same black knobs, is also the custom (bound neck). And gold hardware. But the tailpiece is the heavier one with an "H" in it. My pickguard is black, with flame. And the maple is quite flamey all over the guitar. Have to get pics. The back of the neck is another color. A taupe sort of blue/green?? Not sure, but somehow, against all odds, even with the gold hardware that I normally do not care for, the whole thing works.

Just played it for an hour through a tweed bassman, and an Allen Encore head w/12+10 cab. Having that "thank you thank you!!" feeling of having found a truly fine guitar. I'd only played one heritage before, a '90s H575 which didn't much impress. Sounded OK, but the feel was all wrong. This one is very different. Hard to stop playing it. So responsive and comfortable.

Still assessing the Shallers. They seem quite partial to the MV Encore, not quite as natural a fit with the bassman. I had all kinds of ideas on pickups, but for now it's just time to play. What Jim says ... this is a fine sounding instrument!
    MD

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    So the one in the pic is NOT the one you bought, correct? I don't normally like blue guitars, but I do like the dark gold hardware against the deep blue. Looks like my high school colors
    +1 I don't normally look twice at blue jazz guitars, but the blue and gold together, on that particular shape, is quite attractive. I hope the one you actually bought looks as nice (or nicer).

User Info Menu

Wow, really very nice.
    i love blue guitars. That one is a killer.
    Enjoy it in good health, for a long time!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Love it! Looks really cool. Who wouldn't love a bright blue Heritage archtop. Really extraordinary. I bet it sounds great too! Enjoy it in good health!

User Info Menu

Well, alright! "We, few, we happy few, we band of (Heritage) brothers..." from Kenny Burrell on down, have to stick together.

Heritage guitars are incredibly well finished, excellent sounding, superb playing guitars--especially for jazz.

Now, break out the chart of "Chitlins Con Carne."
    Last edited by Greentone; 09-19-2015 at 02:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes, Chitlins con carne it should be!

User Info Menu

Play in good health and enjoy. Sad to say one of the hands that built this guitar just passed. JP Moats. One of the original founders.

User Info Menu

The guitar in the picture looks like an H575 Custom with the bound fretboard and headstock.

Will you be posting a picture of the one you bought?

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

The 575 is one of my favorite sounding "jazz boxes" of any era. Congrats and enjoy!

User Info Menu

Wow - congrats on that one Mad. I typically don't go for the blue or the flame, but for some reason, when you put them together it looks quite spectacular. Are you going to set it up with flats?

User Info Menu

J. P. Moats... Aw! The old Heritage guys are fading away. Floyd, the guy who sprayed the great, late 50s Les Pauls...and who sprayed my 2001 Super Eagle...is gone. Now, J. P. Moats, one of the founders. Gosh!

User Info Menu

Still no pix, still have a broken camera.

But I have gotten to spend some time with this blue H575. Took it to my talented luthier buddy. He nosed out a slight neck twist up towards the body, made some dire pronouncements about maybe I should take it back, it might need a fret job ... and so on. (This is his style, bad news first) By the end of a complete, really thorough setup (fret level, fret dress, recut the nut, tweak the neck, restring with custom gauge set, .12 to .50 roundwound), all was positive. No need for a fret job. He clearly was appreciating the build quality, especially the frets and playability.

It's still blue. Very blue. My wife's comment: "This time you really surprised me ..."

But now I'm realizing how good an instrument it is. Solid, not heavy but not a real lightweight either. It feels right in my hands, quite comfortable, and plays so very well. Not a huge acoustic voice. It's there, but quiet. Plugged in, this one is a chameleon. At lower and medium volumes, easy to get a range of pretty tones from the neck p/u only. Very effective tone knob. You can make it dark, or a lot less so. Where I pick and how makes a big difference. Seems quite responsive to playing dynamics, even at lower volumes.

Getting louder ... seems rather feedback resistant. It's there, but not hard to counteract and control. Maybe it's the solid maple top and relatively shallow body together? Not sure, but it's less of a handful than I expected. Add a little gain, edge, more intense reverb and the sound character changes. Can do raw blues tones, more fusion kind of edge too. Beautiful sounds in the middle position. Even bridge only, though I don't spend much time there. No doubts about the Schallers now. These pickups are perfect in this guitar.

Bottom line: I got way lucky with this blue Heritage. It'll be perfect for jazz studies, and I'm guessing for anything else too.
    MD

User Info Menu

Hi Mad Dog,

I concur. I just got my new H575 Custom back from my guitar tech after the initial setup.

I plugged her in for the first time and was awe-struck by the rich, beautifully defined tone. The neck p/u has a lush voice for chord melody. I seldom switch from the neck p/u.

As you stated, playability is top notch and the build quality is first rate. My guitar tech commented, "this is a well built guitar".

My thanks again to the forum members who were so adamant in their recommendation of the Heritage over the Peerless Imperial. You gents were right! The H575 is a beautiful instrument and I'm very happy with mine (although I still think that the Peerless Imperial is a very nice guitar).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazz.fred
    Hi Mad Dog,

I plugged her in for the first time and was awe-struck by the rich, beautifully defined tone. The neck p/u has a lush voice for chord melody. I seldom switch from the neck p/u.
    I wish Heritage built more H575's with just a neck pickup. Yes, I can always just ignore the bridge pickup but it always feels like I'm playing someone else's guitar when there are two pickups whereas this one really does feel like it's mine.

User Info Menu

I've been ogling this guitar on Reverb for the last few days and decided to take the plunge.
    I had been checking out ES125s and similar guitars, but this guitar kept calling me!
    I hope I did the right thing, and if I did, I'll be selling a few guitars from my "collection.

User Info Menu

Beautiful! I prefer a cutaway, but on this guitar, I would have made an exception. I bet she will sound terrific!

User Info Menu

I was specifically looking for a non-cutaway. My Loar LH700 got me lusting after older Gibson L50s and similar guitars. I was really hesitant on buying anything "old and collectable" because I want to gig with it. This was at the top of my $ budget but looks like it'll work.

User Info Menu

I thought 575s have maple tops(?) That looks like a carved spruce top(?) If so, nice alternative to a vintage 16" L5!

User Info Menu

Nice burst! If it sounds as nice as it looks you've got a winner.

But it needs a beanie...

User Info Menu

Heritage is basically a custom shop...you can get different flavors.

This looks like the kind of guitar I'd be into.

This is a nice step up from an L-50.

User Info Menu

Looks like a virtual early L-5 to me...16 inch non-cutaway, 24.75 scale, carved spruce top, carved maple back and sides. I bet it will be a keeper. Congrats!

User Info Menu

GSPirro,
    I have a feeling your gonna love that guitar.
    Heritage does everything right. Im sure this is a very lightweight guitar, that feels sold and sounds incredible.
    By up them Heritages folks!
    Beautiful Guitar Enjoy it. Thanks for sharing.
    Joe D.

User Info Menu

Hey thanks, everyone. I have a good feeling about this guitar, but all the positive comments really help calm the jitters! Can't wait until it gets here and I can try it through my new Henriksen Bud...another future post in the making!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Looks like a virtual early L-5 to me...16 inch non-cutaway, 24.75 scale, carved spruce top, carved maple back and sides. I bet it will be a keeper. Congrats!
    And with the 24-3/4 scale you can put some really heavy strings on for a fatter sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    And with the 24-3/4 scale you can put some really heavy strings on for a fatter sound.
    Oh yeah! 56-13s minimum on all my archtops! If they can't handle 'em, I don't play 'em! Heritage H-575