The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 54

User Info Menu

Corey's sound is still evolving and amazing. His new album, Dusk, is an experience. Looking back, I can hear his distinctive tone in Awakening and in MB3 (with Mickey Bruno). I've encouraged him to consider composing scores for movies and television.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I tried the older version with more knobs,etc. It was very interesting and had some good sounds if you took your time tweaking it. But I wasn't able to try it in a live situation. Hopefully they have simplified it,,and I'll get a chance to try it soon.

User Info Menu

YMMV but I see this :
    a) a rented cab with 2 unknown 12" speakers
    b) a pedalboard that probably weighs 20 pounds and is a big as a carry-on trolley

and wonder about the talk re the small size and weight of the amp and it's superior sound ....

To me EVERY amp/cab/room/stage is some sort of compromise and a challenge and besides all this :
    my tastes re my optimum tone vary from time to time with the type of band /music I'm busy with at
    that particular time, my mood, my favorite axe, the weather, etc .....
    These gear discussions are fun (most of the time) and I quite often learn something new but I don't need anyone telling me
    that XYZ is THE BEST gizmo EVER for all of the human kind. Corey is indeed a wonderful musician and certainly knowlegeable re gear
    but I personally do not enjoy the tone he gets , simply not my cup of tea. So please stop arguing , it leads nowhere and just causes frustration. A friendly and open-minded exchange of views and ideas , where all parties are "in the right" and nobody is "wrong" is what makes this forum my fav place to hang out !

User Info Menu

Not a fan of BIAS products.

User Info Menu

The demo of Corey Christiansen playing through the Positive Grid Mini Guitar amp up on YouTube sounds pretty good, to me. Smart rig.

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    YMMV but I see this :
    a) a rented cab with 2 unknown 12" speakers
    b) a pedalboard that probably weighs 20 pounds and is a big as a carry-on trolley

and wonder about the talk re the small size and weight of the amp and it's superior sound ....
    Corey's traveling all all over the world doing workshops and gigs with this setup. I haven't heard a single complaint. His pedalboard weighs less than 5lbs, you don't really need a pedalboard if you get their footswitch. He doesn't need to carry his pedalboard on a trolly. What do you really need on a pedalboard? Delay, overdrive? Not much else for jazz...

that XYZ is THE BEST gizmo EVER for all of the human kind. Corey is indeed a wonderful musician and certainly knowlegeable re gear
    but I personally do not enjoy the tone he gets , simply not my cup of tea. So please stop arguing , it leads nowhere and just causes frustration. A friendly and open-minded exchange of views and ideas , where all parties are "in the right" and nobody is "wrong" is what makes this forum my fav place to hang out !
    Funny because you are arguing to promote not arguing. Nobody ever said this was the best thing ever. I personally think my ax8 is fabulous and I also think the kemper sounds even more accurate in terms of copying an amp's sound. This forum is so weird where it gets temperamental if someone likes something you don't as if you are saying someone else's kids are smarter and better at basketball.

User Info Menu

My dad can beat up your dad

Just to be clear, I'm an endorser for fractal and love my axefx. Doesn't mean I can't recommend and say good things about another products.

pfffffffft - guitar forums...

User Info Menu

I think it's pretty cool that the trend is leaning towards tiny little amps with big watts. I think you will see lots more. I'm not sure at this price point a jazz player could take advantage of the versatility of this amp. Then again depends on what your definition of "Jazz" is. I still think I favor simple plug and play. I feel like once I find a sound I'm happy with that's where it will stay.

i run a facebook page called modern jazz guitar in which many of the top players in the world are members. Not many guys who are playing gigs in NYC or traveling with various jazz groups these days are just plugging into a clarus with an archtop. guitarists like tim miller, adam rogers, mike moreno, tom guarna, mike bono, jesse van ruller, jonathan kriesberg, christiansen, etc., are using pedals, effects and most definitely overdrive so IMO, these types of amps are right up the alley of what a "modern" jazz guitarist would take advantage of. Now, may prefer a pedalboard to an amp with a footswitch but I think the use case for these amps exists in the guys out there "doing it".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i run a facebook page called modern jazz guitar in which many of the top players in the world are members. Not many guys who are playing gigs in NYC or traveling with various jazz groups these days are just plugging into a clarus with an archtop. guitarists like tim miller, adam rogers, mike moreno, tom guarna, mike bono, jesse van ruller, jonathan kriesberg, christiansen, etc., are using pedals, effects and most definitely overdrive so IMO, these types of amps are right up the alley of what a "modern" jazz guitarist would take advantage of. Now, may prefer a pedalboard to an amp with a footswitch but I think the use case for these amps exists in the guys out there "doing it".
    I don't doubt that there is a good use for this amp for a lot of players but I suspect that is less true for many of us on this forum. Frankly, many of the regulars here, myself included don't really fit the description of "modern". There have been several light weight plug-and-play single-sound amps released in the last few years. They sell for a lot less money and offer a much simpler interface. They obviously offer a lot less versatility but at least for me, the DV Mark Jazz 50 provides all the tonal variety that I need. That doesn't imply that the Bias Grid amp is not a valid solution for a lot of people (in fact I'm sure it would be great for anyone needing that degree of versatility), but at least for some of us, it offers a lot of features that we don't need for a price we no longer need to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I don't doubt that there is a good use for this amp for a lot of players but I suspect that is less true for many of us on this forum. Frankly, many of the regulars here, myself included don't really fit the description of "modern". There have been several light weight plug-and-play single-sound amps released in the last few years. They sell for a lot less money and offer a much simpler interface. They obviously offer a lot less versatility but at least for me, the DV Mark Jazz 50 provides all the tonal variety that I need. That doesn't imply that the Bias Grid amp is not a valid solution for a lot of people (in fact I'm sure it would be great for anyone needing that degree of versatility), but at least for some of us, it offers a lot of features that we don't need for a price we no longer need to spend.
    I completely understand that and i'm sure the guys who just want a clean tone and a little bit of 'verb outnumber the so called modern guys but I was just pointing out there there are many players who would and do make use of the features that the bias amp has.

and I also think that there are a number of solutions out there for guys who want the form factor of the bias but don't want all the amp modeling. Quilter and DV Mark for example.

User Info Menu

and I also think that there are a number of solutions out there for guys who want the form factor of the bias but don't want all the amp modeling. Quilter and DV Mark for example.
    I think the real cause for celebration is three fold ... 1. after years of waiting for reasons I never understood, the amp industry is finally releasing all sorts of products based on the new miniature power engines that began emerging about 10 years ago (or more); 2. modeling has reached a level of quality and sophistication that now unquestionably make it a viable solution for those who need it and 3. There seems to be a growing number of companies who also recognize a viable market for single voice light-weight amplifiers for those who don't need more (and don't want to spend more). All of these developments are big wins for the guitar community, no matter what your approach may be.

agreed. The new DV Mark Gambale small head looks to be similar specs to the bias but without modeling and at a $349 retail price

User Info Menu

I completely understand that and i'm sure the guys who just want a clean tone and a little bit of 'verb outnumber the so called modern guys but I was just pointing out there there are many players who would and do make use of the features that the bias amp has.
    This is a response that's more on the line of "discussion" You should learn from this example and use it more often. Your typical response sounds much more like "myself and all the real players find this the only way to go" that's what I hear anyway.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    This is a response that's more on the line of "discussion" You should learn from this example and use it more often. Your typical response sounds much more like "myself and all the real players find this the only way to go" that's what I hear anyway.. lol
    that's you reading into it. I've never claimed to be on the level of the guys i mentioned in the previous thread. I'm an advanced part time player at best. I get so sick of folks beating their chests and telling me what i'm saying.

User Info Menu

that's you reading into it. I've never claimed to be on the level of the guys i mentioned in the previous thread. I'm an advanced part time player at best. I get so sick of folks beating their chests and telling me what i'm saying.
    Just trying to help you out brother. No chest beating here.

unsubcribed

User Info Menu

Luckily I don't gig as a guitar player... too many great choices for lightweight and great sounding gear nowadays. I have enough problems trying to replace my old trusty power amp (from my bass gear) that weighs 10+ kg with a new Class D amp. Too many choices!

User Info Menu

I think that this kind of amps are very usefull in three situations:

1) If you are rather eclectic and you like to play multiple kinds of music, say, jazz, fusion, blues and rock for example, in several groups.

2) If you are a gigging musician who needs to cover multiple registers with your gear during the same gig, because you play in dancings or whatever lots of different music styles, for instance a version of some Bruce Springsteen's tune and then a merengue from Juán Luís Guerra and later something of Guns and Roses. If this is the case, your guitar is likely a versatile instrument as well, and you'll have in your arsenal a considerable amount of pedals.

3) You just want to play with your sound, in the same manner children play with their toys, just for fun.

As for myself, I'm so happy with my current sound (with my Ibanez GB15, my DV Mark Micro jazz 50 and two custom made enclosures with an Eminence Cannabis Rex in one of them and an Eminence Delta Demon in the other one) that I barely need to experiment nowadays with my TC Electronic Nova System.

That said, the modeling technology is certainly here to stay, and will have its fans, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Pierrot; 08-08-2018 at 03:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's a nice bit of swing rhythm via resonator guitar:

User Info Menu

Whoops, wrong thread...meant for "Trad Jazz Action."

Blame it on Johnny Walker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    Whoops, wrong thread...meant for "Trad Jazz Action."

Blame it on Johnny Walker.
    cheers! (knob creek)